Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map (/showthread.php?tid=101939)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Revan - 07-18-2013

Quote:
Quote:I noticed that the links from Hamburg to Bering and Hudson are marked as Jumphole links. Is this an oversight, or a hint of things to come? (the gates being disabled/destroyed by one side or the other, perhaps?)

That's not an oversight.

1) Would be kind of cool if there were some visibly destroyed/shredded gates where they used to be.

2) I am not so much bugged by the systems; it seems they are remodeling them to make them less of a empty space, and better for RP. However, it would be nice to still cut down on the amount of dead end guard systems.

3) I think we all should remember how much work and time the devs take outside of their daily lives to get this all done - so kudos to them!

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Diana Dumitrescu - 07-18-2013

About: Oita system

(07-17-2013, 03:45 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 08:05 PM)Strobel Wrote: Frankly I'm not a fan of the Oita placement at all. It's been an independent system (for a reason I believe) and in the future it'll be Kusari space? Does IND lose control over the system as well or do we keep our guard system?

If anything, I believe it makes more sense now - it is no longer only accessible through House guard systems, which should suit the headquarters of the Renzu Corporation, a Kusari-based civilian manufacturer. Oita may not be a system that is part of sovereign Kusari territory, but it does not quite classify as an Independent World.

While IND, the player faction, owns the system, it is not mechanically a guard system. However:
Server Rules Wrote:4.5 Official player factions are free to restrict or not restrict access to their owned systems and tax players who enter owned system. However, properly Tagged and ID'd independent players may enter Guard/Owned systems, and cannot be taxed. Access to systems that surround owned system must not be restricted unless there's a war with another faction.

I'm confused...

If in 4.86 Oita system is connected with 2 Liberty systems (Ellesmere and Illinois) and 1 from Kusari (Hiroshima), in 4.87 this system will be connected only with Kusari (New Tokyo, Honshu and Shikoku). But... as I know, at least in 4.86, there are 2 local factions: Interspace Commerce and Liberty Security Force and also 2 bases: Renzu Shipyards and Wall Street Station.

Now I saw that in 4.87, Oita will be connected only with Kusari house and I suppose that Liberty Security Force will not remain in this system, right!? So... in 4.87, what local factions we could see in Oita system?

L.E. - Also, in its story (4.86v), Oita system is considered a home of the Independent Neuralnet Division (still a faction with origins in Liberty). So... what story will have this system? And how will be made elimination of the LSF faction from Oita system?

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - farmerman - 07-18-2013

(07-15-2013, 08:48 PM)Thexare Wrote: So wait, we have ot go through Xeno Guard space (Alabama) to get to a Freeport (Yukon)? Or are there unannounced changes in those systems?

Yukon's a dead end system now.

Quote:Both factions can dock at Yanagi. Corsairs can also dock at Atka (it's right infront of the Sigma-13 jump hole).

There are OC bases in Newcastle and Lorraine. Did they add activity? Obviously, no.
Placing a base somewhere doesn't solve ANYTHING, *******.

Except you can't dock at what isn't there...

(07-16-2013, 07:58 AM)Sava Wrote: Are gallic systems fixed?
I.e. is there still a benzene molecule or not?

Edit:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjLh2MSol1QZB1483zjoG...CwYQ_OZ5WI] [Image: screen13_zps763ff052.png]

Double bonds have been removed. So it's just a cyclohexane I think? Man it's been too long since chemistry

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Diana Dumitrescu - 07-18-2013

Still no jumgate connection between Colorado and Ontario?
Ageira Technologies has 4 bases... Pueblo in Colorado, Hamilton in Ontario, Leduc in Alberta and Detroit in New York. They are manufacturers of jump gate and trade lane parts so it's a little weird to see that there is no Jump Gate between Colorado and Ontario or at least a Jump Hole between New York and Ontario.

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - farmerman - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 04:53 AM)Susan Miller Wrote: Still no jumgate connection between Colorado and Ontario?
Ageira Technologies has 4 bases... Pueblo in Colorado, Hamilton in Ontario, Leduc in Alberta and Detroit in New York. They are manufacturers of jump gate and trade lane parts so it's a little weird to see that there is no Jump Gate between Colorado and Ontario or at least a Jump Hole between New York and Ontario.

That actually makes tons of sense and I agree. Ontario-->Colorado would be neat. At least a gate construction site.

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Benjamin - 07-18-2013

counterpoint: id like to see the ontario-Colorado jumphole removed. I say this as a guy who uses it constantly to smuggle gaian wildlife to Denver and such. it lets traders totally cut out California (one of the few decent piracy bottlenecks in the game) and new York (one of the only system that ever has more than one person in it at a time). like the barrier pass, all it really does is kill interaction and activity.

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Kazinsal - 07-18-2013

One of my new favourite piracy bottlenecks is the lane between Planet Huron and the Ontario->California jump gate.

So much platinum ore goes through there.

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Lonely_Ghost - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 10:23 AM)Benjamin Wrote: counterpoint: id like to see the ontario-Colorado jumphole removed. I say this as a guy who uses it constantly to smuggle gaian wildlife to Denver and such. it lets traders totally cut out California (one of the few decent piracy bottlenecks in the game) and new York (one of the only system that ever has more than one person in it at a time). like the barrier pass, all it really does is kill interaction and activity.

Longer and more dangerouse route will result popularity drop. In that case, why not to sit near JH between Ontario and Colorado on your pirate ship? It's far enough from bases in both systems, and you will have enought time to rape trader, if you have GB or two bombers.

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - Jack_Henderson - 07-18-2013

Geographers love maps. =)

from my mainly IMG point of view, I would like to comment:

1. OC moved away from Taus:

Hm.... I can see where this comes from. But the time of Alpha raids is over and even though now many IDs actually receive the ability to raid home systems, there is that "+1 system" reason not to do it.

Since there is an OC base in T23, it should not be too much of a problem, though.

Somehow I would wish for OC caps to show in Taus more frequently (like in the good old times), but I assume that this will occur even less often.

2. S13 Hardcore-Warzone-Mess

S13 will be hell.
OC and Sairs in there, wow. Courageous decision.
Add to that that S13 cannot be entered by hidden routes (Chugoku corridor) and not avoided at all any more.

Therefore a few changes need to be made to this system:
  • GMG will be totally outgunned by GBs and caps. Their snubs that are irply unbeatable in the fog have no chance in explosive gas clouds. Turn the clouds off to give snubs a chance! GMG is lorewise the boss in there... with OC and Sair caps, they will be a floor mat.
  • Make the defenses at the gates and lawful bases strong. Like... strong enough to scare away big ship campers. This bottleneck can be blocked by a cap and there is no way to get around it.
  • Place the OC and Sair bases nor closer than 30k from lanes or gates in the periphery. Jumping on an unlawful when people appear on the player list should not be too easy.
  • Make these unlawful bases undockable for caps?

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to that hellish system. And I'll have a lot of chars there... muahahah... but it needs to be designed carefully because like this, it can be a bottleneck that is incredibly hard to master for the traders that have been streamline-forced through there.

3. S13-Berlin hole deletion:

Good riddance.

4. +1 system for OC-Sair raids

Meh. The distance has already been upped in the last version and it gets +1 system again? I do not think it is a good idea to make this past conflict even harder to play.

A capraid takes ages to get there, and lasts for 15 minutes. Flight time is 30 minutes, and then you get focussed on and die in 1 minute. Fun and time spent are in no good relation.

Reducing hub function of Leeds

Good call.
Focussing and streamlining trade traffic to the lanes makes sense to increase interaction. E.g. the Leeds-Cambridge hole took away a lot of chances for encounters.

General thoughts:

System size reduced

Good call and necessary. Especially the Omicrons are so big that they deter people from playing there.

Blocking bases need to be reevaluated

With many hole-connections cut, blocking bases will get more of an impact.
I would like to repeat my call for clear rules about base positioning that take gaming experience and smooth game flow into account. Cutting off playing areas by player bases has proven to be a very bad idea, and as players will never understand that, people need to make them understand and follow the rules that are necessary.

I have to go now, I will post more later, likely. Wink

RE: Discovery 4.87 Universe Map - belarusich - 07-18-2013

Ontario-Colorado JH is good smuggling route if you go to manhattan(you can use Colorado-NY JH and appear behind Manhattan)