Discovery Gaming Community
Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase (/showthread.php?tid=118261)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - SnakThree - 08-23-2014

The only proper reason for this change is to disable pre-engagement RP while under cloak, but that only opens up more possibilities to rule breaking, because when you hit uncloak, you have so little time to RP before attacking. While being under cloak gives you at least half a minute to properly roleplay.

So let's compare:
Chat disable while under cloak - almost no time to properly RP before attacking.
Chat enable while under cloak - a lot of time to properly RP before attacking.

After this change, I have been attacked by uncloaking shup without a word.
Before this change, I have never been attacking by uncloaking ship without a word.

And I play in LIberty most of my time, where the density of players is the highest and the probability of rule infractions is the highest.

Personally, I used my cloaked LNS Dreadnought only once/twice, during the Poison Apple event since this change was introduced.

Again, I urge admins/developers to revert this change as it doesn't yield the desired results, unless the sole intention was to make cloak less valuable in combat.

I myself would rather be notified by cloaked vessel about hostile intentions and have ample of time to ready up and roleplay instead of being surprised by silent uncloaking dreadnought without any time to respond and only be able to dodge away. I am pretty sure others would prefer to have such chance too.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Thyrzul - 08-23-2014

(08-23-2014, 11:01 AM)Snak3 Wrote: The only proper reason for this change is to disable pre-engagement RP while under cloak, but that only opens up more possibilities to rule breaking, because when you hit uncloak, you have so little time to RP before attacking. While being under cloak gives you at least half a minute to properly roleplay.

So let's compare:
Chat disable while under cloak - almost no time to properly RP before attacking.

I fail to see how chat being disabled while cloaked forces you to rush your RP before attacking, it is still up to the players to decide how much time they want to spend on roleplaying before they attack, cloaked or not. They have to uncloak to attack you anyways.

(08-23-2014, 11:01 AM)Snak3 Wrote: After this change, I have been attacked by uncloaking shup without a word.
Before this change, I have never been attacking by uncloaking ship without a word.

And I play in LIberty most of my time, where the density of players is the highest and the probability of rule infractions is the highest.

You know where the Saction forums are, don't you? If you care enough, they will know too.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Binski - 08-23-2014

(08-23-2014, 11:01 AM)Snak3 Wrote: The only proper reason for this change is to disable pre-engagement RP while under cloak, but that only opens up more possibilities to rule breaking, because when you hit uncloak, you have so little time to RP before attacking. While being under cloak gives you at least half a minute to properly roleplay.

So let's compare:

After this change, I have been attacked by uncloaking shup without a word.

Personally, I used my cloaked LNS Dreadnought only once/twice, during the Poison Apple event since this change was introduced.

Again, I urge admins/developers to revert this change as it doesn't yield the desired results, unless the sole intention was to make cloak less valuable in combat.

I myself would rather be notified by cloaked vessel about hostile intentions and have ample of time to ready up and roleplay instead of being surprised by silent uncloaking dreadnought without any time to respond and only be able to dodge away. I am pretty sure others would prefer to have such chance too.

Agreed.

Mostly, i chatted while cloaked when I was fleeing or finished an attack. Even before this change i used set messages, and to be fair i'd choose to wait to drop my demands until after I dropped cloak. But that was piracy, many times if you come across an actual enemy, you might not be so nice, and would make sense do RP while still cloaked, since you'd be attacking the player and not just pirating them. If anything, that chat while cloaked tells the other ship you are nearby. At that point, how it works is, if they're foolish enough (or not paying attention) and keep their ship stationary, you have an easy target, and after that the gloves were off, fair and square, you paid for the cloak, you paid for that moment and more. If they have half a brain, they'll keep moving around, making an 'insta' far more difficult. Sometimes it is the responsiblity of the player to keep themselves alive regardless of how suddenly an enemy appears. If not they learn the hard way once and move on.

Even Gen. Chang RP's before attacking with his cloaked ship! (some brief entertainment for you)

Who does Captain Kirk complain to about such things? 'Dear God, please remove cloaks, or at least the ability for my enemies to communicate cloaked, its very inconvenient.'

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - SkyNet - 08-23-2014

Cloaks are already useless, what do you want more? Before cloaks getting nerfed again or completely disappear from discovery, i want to add that the restriction of these devices would be an option.
Keep in mind that cloaks have always played an important role in FL. Nerfing or deleting them will not fix the problems, or as many people would say "balance out fights". Thats nonsense.
Cloaks giving you a tactical advantage in game, they should, at least. And thats why they are so expensive and hard to get.
I've never seen a game before where a cloaking sequence can be disrupted or the cloak itself wasting tons of fuel. "With the exception of Discovery"
Quote:Cloaking Devices bend EM radiation to render a ship invisible to most sensors. There is no known countermeasure to the effect, however it does require taking the shields offline, and there is a short period (see below) before the cloaking device takes effect.
A quote of the description of a cloaking device, according to the wiki.
And there shouldn't be a countermeasure to this effect. But there should be a scanner to discover or uncover cloaked ships in a specific range. Also a new and very expensive toy.

Disabling the chat while being cloaked is just another pitiful try to make cloakers mad and reduce the amount of cloakers in game. If that is the reason why all people curse them and they get nerfed every single time, then you should realy think about it to limit them to officals and SRP's only.

In short:
  • Infinite or fuel efficient cloaks for official factions
  • Normal or no cloaks for indies
  • Cloak scanner for all
  • Cloak effect no longer disturbable
  • Enabled chat for cloaked ships

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - An'shur - 08-24-2014

Some lazies will never stop whining about cloakers. Too lazy to powertrade some hours and buy their own "OP" device.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Tin - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 12:50 AM)Absinthe Wrote: Some lazies will never stop whining about cloakers. Too lazy to powertrade some hours and buy their own "OP" device.

Powertrading is bad,
[Image: mackey-31523754454.jpeg]
mmkay.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Vredes - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 12:50 AM)Absinthe Wrote: Some lazies will never stop whining about cloakers. Too lazy to powertrade some hours and buy their own "OP" device.

I think I have enough money to get cloaks on all my ships, but that doesn't change my opinion. Light cloaks must be nerfed.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Kirill - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 09:47 AM)Vredes Wrote:

I think I have enough money to get cloaks on all my ships, but that doesn't change my opinion. Light cloaks must be nerfed.

Light cloaks? The ones that can't even work for a half of the minute on almost all ships?

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - SkyNet - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 09:47 AM)Vredes Wrote: Light cloaks must be nerfed.

As i said, they are already useless. If you don't like it how people use cloaks, then we need limitations or new rules, not nerfs.

For example. If you cloak and escape from a battle, you can't reengage or it should count as PvP dead. Same counts for Jump devices.

RE: Developer Notice: Cloak Changes Trial Phase - Vredes - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 12:24 PM)SkyNet Wrote: For example. If you cloak and escape from a battle, you can't reengage or it should counts as PvP dead.

^
That

Nomad snubs are immortal because of their cloaks. It takes 10 secs to cloak, then fly back regen and reengage.