Discovery Gaming Community
Jumping out of combat... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Jumping out of combat... (/showthread.php?tid=123727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Highland Laddie - 12-18-2014

Quote:I don't know if the delay part will do anything at all. Does anyone jump into battle?

At least when I had a jumping Elbe, I used to advance into Texas through conventional means with the rest of the fleet and then I would jump out for repairs (except I wouldn't, I always ended up getting so involved in the fight that I hit the jump button too late). I don't think I have ever seen anyone jump into a fight either, but I am not updated on the topic.

Well, what the delay WOULD help would be returning to a fight after jumping out, which was part of what the OP was complaining about. True, they could jump out and then fly their way back...but that still takes time. It should certainly give the opposing side time to either recover and repair themselves, or gang up and kill someone else.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Mímir - 12-18-2014

Ah ok, I didn't read it all. My apologies.

But how do you hold enough fuel for 2 jumps? My CAU6 Elbe only had 20-30 minutes in Texas before too much MOX had evaporated for me to be able to make the jump home. I couldn't even make a jump on Hfuel, not enough cargo space.

Do people go without armor to make room for fuel for 2 jumps?

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Black Widow - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 04:29 PM)Mímir Wrote: I don't know if the delay part will do anything at all. Does anyone jump into battle?

At least when I had a jumping Elbe, I used to advance into Texas through conventional means with the rest of the fleet and then I would jump out for repairs (except I wouldn't, I always ended up getting so involved in the fight that I hit the jump button too late). I don't think I have ever seen anyone jump into a fight either, but I am not updated on the topic.

I jump into fights with my Elbe, but I only jump out if I am being ganked else I fight to the death.

(12-18-2014, 04:48 PM)Mímir Wrote: Ah ok, I didn't read it all. My apologies.
But how do you hold enough fuel for 2 jumps? My CAU6 Elbe only had 20-30 minutes in Texas before too much MOX had evaporated for me to be able to make the jump home. I couldn't even make a jump on Hfuel, not enough cargo space.
Do people go without armor to make room for fuel for 2 jumps?

Quite simply you don't hold that much fuel because you can't.
I too have cap 6 Elbe with all primaries and Cerbs mounted but only 6 secondaries.

With this armour my Elbe has exactly 420 cargo for fuel.
This enough for exactly one jump! So how do I jump there and back.
I calculated a single jump requires 360 MOX or 420 H Fuel, I use h fuel hence I have 420 cargo.
To have enough fuel for the journey there and back, you need to dump some fuel in space.

I buy 420 h fuel dump it in space re dock and buy another 420.
Then I begin charging the JD, as soon as it reaches 90% I tractor up the fuel in space and keep tractor in til I reach 100% then jump.
I land in TX with 420 fuel to go home with.

The reason I don't use mox is because npcs in Koeln where MOX is sold have 150 cargo. So they steal too much to keep up with.
In Frankfurt npcs don't touch the fuel I leave in space so it's the perfect launch pad.

If you have enough space to hold two fuel loads your weapons load out would be seriously weakened. If you use a carrier or medium battleship.

(12-18-2014, 04:34 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
Quote:I don't know if the delay part will do anything at all. Does anyone jump into battle?

Well, what the delay WOULD help would be returning to a fight after jumping out, which was part of what the OP was complaining about. True, they could jump out and then fly their way back...but that still takes time. It should certainly give the opposing side time to either recover and repair themselves, or gang up and kill someone else.

The problem I have with a cool down period on jump drives is that it seriously retards the ability of jumpers to collect nomad battleship remains!

It's already hard enough with the remoteness and dangers in omicron 99, if there was a cool down on JDs. Being able to collect remains will be even harder.

Jump drives are not just battle tech you know, they are useful in so many ways.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Sciamach - 12-18-2014

Holy tripple post batman...

You'd think you coulda made a single post outta all that...

Furthermore, please keep in mind; battleship remain farming is about to become irrelevent.

And thank gods, the era of people jumping out of 99 to avoid interactions the instant they see a player logging into the ravine is about to be over.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Omi - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 06:59 PM)Scourgeclaw Wrote: And thank gods, the era of people jumping out of 99 to avoid interactions the instant they see a player logging into the ravine is about to be over.

"interactions"

I don't think we can call the K'Hara gank fleet all that 'interactive', to be honest.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - rabidbunny666 - 12-18-2014

Instead of adding rules you could make a green message "SHIP is powering up its jump drive" long before the actual jump, and ways to distrupt jumps. Could also make the fuel for a jump really expensive.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Highland Laddie - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 05:25 PM)Black Widow Wrote:

The problem I have with a cool down period on jump drives is that it seriously retards the ability of jumpers to collect nomad battleship remains!

It's already hard enough with the remoteness and dangers in omicron 99, if there was a cool down on JDs. Being able to collect remains will be even harder.

True, but this would also help ease up on the "jump trading" that many players despise and look down upon, useful as it may be. They can still do it...it just costs them time.

(12-18-2014, 07:31 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 05:25 PM)Black Widow Wrote:

True, but this would also help ease up on the "jump trading" that many players despise and look down upon, useful as it may be. They can still do it...it just costs them time.

People don't jump trade anymore, ever since the great cull on 5krs and barges no longer being able to jump, the mk4 JD has been rendered obsolete.

Jumping is now mainly done on a combat and nomad farming basis