Discovery Gaming Community
Today i found out .... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Today i found out .... (/showthread.php?tid=114524)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Today i found out .... - Praetor - 04-20-2014

Today I found out:
that if the population of china walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

I am not even kidding.

RE: Today i found out .... - Praetor - 04-21-2014

Today I found out:
that Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

RE: Today i found out .... - Unlucky_Soul - 04-22-2014

Today I found out:

This: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=114524

Cheers Smile

RE: Today i found out .... - Zed26 - 04-22-2014

Heard a few of these before and they vary in accuracy/completeness:
Quote:that Alaskan citizens do not pay any state taxes; instead every person over the age of 6 months receives an oil dividend check of about $1000 per year.
State-wide, pretty much, though there are still some local taxes (sales, property). The Permanent Fund Dividend is true (varies each year), though you must have been a resident of Alaska for a year and intend to remain in Alaska "indefinitely" (can't claim residency elsewhere, can't be absent from the state for over 180 days without good reason).

Quote:that the damage done to the Ozone layer due to use of chemicals in the past few decades ( like CFCs but these kind of chemicals use has now been stopped ) will be completely repaired by itself by 2050.
The projected date is continually being pushed back from the 2050 estimate. It's true that the Montreal Protocol is designed to phase out ozone-depleting substances, but it's still just an "agreement" and they continue to see some use. There might be a little discussion about the total impact of human contributions to climate change overall, but ozone depletion and its effects are pretty easy to demonstrate.

Quote:that Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
This one gets repeated a lot to the point where it's hard to find the lack of a law, so it keeps going around. Seriously, any search for a source just turns up the exact same sentence repeated with no legal citation. However, Uruguay did allow dueling up until 1992.

Anyway, it's fun, but take it all with a grain of salt and stay skeptical.

RE: Today i found out .... - Thyrzul - 04-22-2014

I've just noticed this edit of yours:

(04-15-2014, 06:26 PM)Praetor Wrote: Edit: Everything I share has been verified and I can cite proof and may also refer to leading Scientific Journals if needed to verify my posts.

So yeah, we have this here:

(04-15-2014, 06:33 PM)Praetor Wrote: Today I found out:
that in ANY of those "Probiotic Yogurt/Probiotics" products advertisement they dont say what good the bacteria actually does as......... NO ONE KNOWS!!!!.
It certainly does no harm but as there are thousands of different such bacteria,its really hard for Scientist to test them all so no one know what it does.

Bring it on.

RE: Today i found out .... - Pancakes - 04-23-2014

Today I found out:
How to mathematically disprove the assumption that in the northern side of the Earth the water in the sink cycle counter-cloakwise and in the southern part cycle cloakwise.

RE: Today i found out .... - agentmike - 04-23-2014

(04-22-2014, 06:26 AM)Zed26 Wrote:
Quote:that Alaskan citizens do not pay any state taxes; instead every person over the age of 6 months receives an oil dividend check of about $1000 per year.
State-wide, pretty much, though there are still some local taxes (sales, property). The Permanent Fund Dividend is true (varies each year), though you must have been a resident of Alaska for a year and intend to remain in Alaska "indefinitely" (can't claim residency elsewhere, can't be absent from the state for over 180 days without good reason).
Very true. In fact, Alaskan's look forward to this payment every year, much like an annual Federal Income Tax Return. (Which we also get.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund
Also, Child Support Division has the right to garnish both. Sad

RE: Today i found out .... - Strichev - 04-23-2014

That sounds interesting. Post the calculations for me (an uneducated individual in mathematics). I'm curious about the complexity of such matters. And whether I would understand them. Pancakes.

RE: Today i found out .... - Pancakes - 04-24-2014

(04-23-2014, 06:44 PM)Strichev Wrote: That sounds interesting. Post the calculations for me (an uneducated individual in mathematics). I'm curious about the complexity of such matters. And whether I would understand them. Pancakes.
Cope that.

So, lets assume Coriolis acceleration (basically, we'll work with acceleration as a unit for Force to mass). That's given by 2(wXv) (X is the mathematical operator of cross), now, lets take the best case w and v are directly perpendicular to one anther, to get the best out of the cross operator, which means we are basically at one of the poles (doesn't matter which). So, our nice Coriolis acceleration would be 2(w*v) with the force's direction into the center of the sink's hole.

Now, lets find it. Our water particles are moving in a speed of about 10 CM/sec, which is 0.1 [Meter/Second]. Now, our w which is the rotational speed of the Earth is easy to calculate as 2pi/24 [1/hours] but we want to work in meters/second so lets transform it into seconds [2pi/(24*60*60)] (24 hours, 60 minutes in each hour, 60 seconds in each minute) that's 7.27*(10^-5).
So our Coriolis acceleration is ~1.5*(10^-5) [Meter/sec^2]

Now, lets check the gravity, and assume that whoever installed the sink hole didn't put directly horizontal to the earth. Lets check how accurate he must be, shall we?
Lets call our deviation degree a, and check how big is the acceleration that counters the Coriolis force.
so, for gravity we'll get g*sin(a), since it's likely a really small degree, we can safely assume sin a ~ a (in Radians, of course).
Lets assume g = 10 [Meter/sec^2] (it's slightly lower than that, but this is close enough as we are talking about size ratios here).

We get that our dear plumber that installed the sink must put the sink hole horizontally to the Earth in a deviation degree lower than 1.5*10^-6 radians.

Most likely that without using a microscope with some water to measure their deviation from being horizontal while installing the sink hole, and then letting a machine to do it (since even the tiniest shaking of the muscles, which occurs normally all the time) would create a bigger deviation.

RE: Today i found out .... - Recursive - 04-24-2014

(04-19-2014, 07:52 AM)Praetor Wrote: Today I found out:
that the Australian $5 to $100 notes are made of plastic.

//Can someone please explain this to me?
It's cheaper in the long term because you don't need to reprint as often.

Also, it's incredibly difficult to counterfeit not because it's plastic, but because it's practically impossible to replicate the embossed 'window' on each note (at least to the degree where it would pass inspection by anyone who had any idea what to look for).