Discovery Gaming Community
The Carrier Update - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: The Carrier Update (/showthread.php?tid=121752)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The Carrier Update - Vredes - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:16 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: Limiting ships that can teleport with cargo is restricting the ones with cloaks to be pretty useless. Is there any option of limiting them based on the cargo size and not on the basis of "having cargo or not"?

Sath, read the Cloak Changes Big Grin they will be ammo dependent from the next Update I think.

RE: The Carrier Update - Unlucky_Soul - 10-14-2014

I personally would prefer if the carrier was able to spawn NPC fighters. Like spawn NPCs based on some resources like Crew in the hold. To spawn "X" number of NPC you need "Y" number of crew. A FL hook command to spawn NPCs would be useful.

I wonder if the server would be able to bear the load of having 10 carriers spawning NPCs Big Grin Big Grin

Anyways i think the idea is heading in the right direction in making Carriers useful. Would need some tweaking so that it can't be abused

RE: The Carrier Update - Lythrilux - 10-14-2014

This could solve all the problems we have with travel distances and buffer systems that disrupt action. I like it.

Of course, I still expect the actual buffer system problem to be dealt with.

RE: The Carrier Update - Alley - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:13 PM)Max Morse Wrote: This means only ships that are docked would be able to teleport to a carrier, unless I'm interpreting this completely wrong. That would mean people wouldn't be able to abuse it like cap ships abusing JDs to jump out of a fight into another system, dock and repair, and fly back.

You're correct, you also can't resupply from carriers so you die. I also want to code a feature where if the carrier gets blown up, all the snubs docked on it get ejected and killed.

(10-14-2014, 03:22 PM)Vredes Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 03:16 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: Limiting ships that can teleport with cargo is restricting the ones with cloaks to be pretty useless. Is there any option of limiting them based on the cargo size and not on the basis of "having cargo or not"?

Sath, read the Cloak Changes Big Grin they will be ammo dependent from the next Update I think.

Correct ! Cloak fuel will be ammo based so you'll still be able to TP with your cloak fuel.

(10-14-2014, 03:40 PM)Unlucky_Soul Wrote: I personally would prefer if the carrier was able to spawn NPC fighters. Like spawn NPCs based on some resources like Crew in the hold. To spawn "X" number of NPC you need "Y" number of crew. A FL hook command to spawn NPCs would be useful.

I wonder if the server would be able to bear the load of having 10 carriers spawning NPCs Big Grin Big Grin

Anyways i think the idea is heading in the right direction in making Carriers useful. Would need some tweaking so that it can't be abused

We discussed this and decided not to implement it as we want to promote player interaction and not NPC spam.

RE: The Carrier Update - SnakThree - 10-14-2014

What if fuel is used as cost for "pulling" snubcrafts? Then you'd have a limited amounts of "teleportations" by reasoning that fuel is needed for running ships. Thus you couldn't just F1 Carrier in hostile space or you would need a fuel supply ship, which would force more co-op and prevent easy abuse.

RE: The Carrier Update - Alley - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:54 PM)Snak3 Wrote: What if fuel is used as cost for "pulling" snubcrafts? Then you'd have a limited amounts of "teleportations" by reasoning that fuel is needed for running ships. Thus you couldn't just F1 Carrier in hostile space or you would need a fuel supply ship, which would force more co-op and prevent easy abuse.

Good idea.

To explain exactly how it's going to work: A command will be created similar to /conn and will be named /requestdock. You'll use it like /requestdock [LN]-LNS-Pine.Ridge and it's going to send a dock request to that ship like it would usually do when you ask for docking. The carrier will have to /allowdock [LN]-Bob.Marley and will be tp'd to the carrier docking bay if there's a free slot.

If we implement the fuel idea, we'll make it consume x fuel per TP and if we add a cooldown, have a cooldown of x minutes before another snub is TPed to the carrier.

RE: The Carrier Update - Haste - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 02:47 PM)Omicega Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 01:42 PM)Alley Wrote: We will soon introduce an update to carrier capital ships (and a selected other few)

Does this "other few" include BSes which have no carrier counterpart, like the KuBS and the Valor?

Because it should (:

Considering the KuBS and Valor are both used as stationary carrier battleships, I'd assume that they are considered carriers for the purposes of this change.

The only issue is that balance for carriers is completely random. The Geb is a beast and I believe the Elbe is also quite good. The Libertonian carrier however is quite underwhelming, and so is - I believe - the Bretonian carrier.

Being able to call in support anywhere when caught out of position is pretty cool, but I would say that all carriers will need a similar level of usefulness in actual cap-to-cap fights. Honestly, were it possible, I'd suggest giving them a separate set of heavies designed to cover snubs and/or participate in fights at a safe long range (although a battleship charging the carrier as it sits way back should run it over with ease). If anyone's played X3, I'm suggesting something like the carriers in that game.

RE: The Carrier Update - Connor - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 02:35 PM)Vredes Wrote: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That.

The only thing is, you'll have to disable it when underfire or in an RP situation because people can use this to get out of fights easily. Instead of also using H Fuel, you could use something similar to the cloaks.

RE: The Carrier Update - SnakThree - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 04:13 PM)Snoopy Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 02:35 PM)Vredes Wrote: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That.

The only thing is, you'll have to disable it when underfire or in an RP situation because people can use this to get out of fights easily. Instead of also using H Fuel, you could use something similar to the cloaks.

Erm. Only DOCKED snubcrafts can be teleported.

RE: The Carrier Update - Connor - 10-14-2014

Must have missed that then :/