Discovery Gaming Community
Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives (/showthread.php?tid=198724)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - TheSauron - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 03:01 PM)Aingar Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:59 PM)TheSauron Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:45 PM)Haste Wrote: Cruisers can run JD2s. JD2s are nice spicy 1-ship jumphole generators with a 15 second chargeup time.

Maybe there'll also be some different JDs available to be built, who knows?

I know. I wrote it with JD4s for group jumps in mind, I should've specified it in my post. And yes, I know the Bustard exists.

But, I do not believe it was mentioned: do jumpholes persist after the ship that spawned them logs off?

They only last ~30-60 seconds, plus however long it takes the ships currently traversing them to come out of the other side.

Feels like enough time to hop onto a different ship. My concern here is very niche, I suppose, and is related to factions that do not have actually useful combat ships to put JD4s on, so they have to resort to logging a Bustard to embark on a raid or somesuch. If the guy in the Bustard can then quickly hop over to a combat ship and use the wormhole himself, instead of staying behind as a sacrifice, that makes my concerns moot.

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Sombs - 09-20-2023

Do the artificial hump holes have a collapse effect or do I need to pester Nyx with smoochies until she does one?

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Groshyr - 09-20-2023

Will Vagrants have any extended range or else feature to distinguish their JDs from human ones?

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Aingar - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 02:59 PM)TheSauron Wrote: Feels like enough time to hop onto a different ship. My concern here is very niche, I suppose, and is related to factions that do not have actually useful combat ships to put JD4s on, so they have to resort to logging a Bustard to embark on a raid or somesuch. If the guy in the Bustard can then quickly hop over to a combat ship and use the wormhole himself, instead of staying behind as a sacrifice, that makes my concerns moot.

Yes, they remain in space. Can't reallistically despawn them while someone may or may not be currently using them. That'd be bad.

(09-20-2023, 03:04 PM)Sombs Wrote: Do the artificial hump holes have a collapse effect or do I need to pester Nyx with smoochies until she does one?

Afraid they do not currently have one.

(09-20-2023, 03:07 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Will Vagrants have any extended range or else feature to distinguish their JDs from human ones?

Their stats will be notably different from Human JDs, yes.

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Kauket - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 03:13 PM)Aingar Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 03:04 PM)Sombs Wrote: Do the artificial hump holes have a collapse effect or do I need to pester Nyx with smoochies until she does one?

all you had to do was not reply to not give more ammo to the cat

pls

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Sombs - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 03:16 PM)Kauket Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 03:13 PM)Aingar Wrote:

all you had to do was not reply to not give more ammo to the cat

pls

[Image: 1097227573735456789.webp?size=96&quality=lossless]

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Sally - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Aingar Wrote: Yes, for real this time. While any* ship can take the jump hole, they can't do so while carrying cargo.

What happens if a Plover with a full load of cargo docks into a Bustard with a docking module, and then the Bustard tries to jump through the spawned hole?

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - StellarViss - 09-20-2023

Is there a maximum number of artificial holes that can exist in a system at the same time

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Chronicron - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Aingar Wrote: While any* ship can take the jump hole, they can't do so while carrying cargo
How is it going to work with Nomad Power and Fuel Cells? Can the ships no longer jump while carrying those or will they be converted to ammo? Because the Vagrant ID uses the Fuel Cells to fuel their jump drives.

RE: Patch When? #6- Dev Diary - Jump Drives - Aingar - 09-20-2023

(09-20-2023, 03:48 PM)Sally Wrote: What happens if a Plover with a full load of cargo docks into a Bustard with a docking module, and then the Bustard tries to jump through the spawned hole?

Congratulations, you've moved 900 cargo over 5 systems, using 7 players (bustard, 5x plover, beacon ship) while burning a big chunk of money for jump batteries.
If you're lucky you'll pay off the fuel costs. Not a real concern.

For comparison, right now Bustard can move infinite distance with 1800 cargo capacity, alone, which sounds 14 times more efficient, and I don't see people doing it.

(09-20-2023, 04:05 PM)StellarViss Wrote: Is there a maximum number of artificial holes that can exist in a system at the same time

Nope.

(09-20-2023, 04:06 PM)Chronicron Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Aingar Wrote: While any* ship can take the jump hole, they can't do so while carrying cargo
How is it going to work with Nomad Power and Fuel Cells? Can the ships no longer jump while carrying those or will they be converted to ammo? Because the Vagrant ID uses the Fuel Cells to fuel their jump drives.

Nomad JDs will use the same fuel batteries as human JDs, the fuel cell is getting phased out.