Discovery Gaming Community
How is this kind of RP allowed? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: How is this kind of RP allowed? (/showthread.php?tid=197936)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Jayce - 07-19-2023

I'm going to acknowledge this roleplay when it benefits me, and ignore it when it doesn't. It really is that simple. Smile

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Cybertron - 07-19-2023

I cannot see the point from any of you guys. I am sorry but thats just the way that it is at the moment. So lets presume that we are all very deeply in love with this game, that we value the time and effort that was put into building all the RP in here etc.. So I will take my time to try to interpret the message:
Yes I agree it is an abominable thing to do such RP. Why?
Are you guys purposely missing the screens and links to the RP? We have to go to the very beginning of the said RP.
Was she there in 2013? Was she there in 2015? Was she there in 2016? Was she there in, what the hell, 2022?
She's almighty or something? People tend not to know what's happening in their city, their region, their country, and some people obviously know what's happening in 10 galactic systems? People we try to RP this community into a sci fi genre that it was supposed to be back when the game hit the air. But at the same time we try to act as human beings and as such to make hard calls and decisions. Having said that, all of us here RP any way we want until someone from "higher command" tells us "Hey boi, leave that as it is or I'll whip you" and that same someone from the "higher command" is someone who RP's whatever he likes, but wont let you do the RP you want? So we have the story Devs who are guiding us not to RP the new Palpatine in Freelancer so that this becomes its personal game. And this bothers me so much.
You all say you follow cannon, and as someone already said, what is cannon? What is not cannon? Don't you dare assume you know, cus the only one I'll acknowledge to know where this was supposed to head, the story and the RP, was some random guy in the DIgitalAnvil, or a couple of them to that end, who had the vision. The rest of us just agree that it would look cool if we placed JG here or if we built a new TL here and etc. So no. Just no. You, me or anyone can claim they behave according to cannon or in the way this game is supposed to be working.
That's one thing.
The other thing that baffles me is the lack of how you guys behave when introduced such RP. I mean really? The best spies ever, and I mean ever, couldn't get their hands on the 33.3 percent of the information that was key at given moment at any government/military/political group as she did in her post. And yet no one even question this inRP after even agreeing to follow the RP? Do you even know how that works? None were suspicious, non were questioning the manner in which the information has been gathered, non questioned the loyalty of the person? "Hey she crossed them, maybe she wants to cross us by feeding us some false info" or something like that.
My point is we all try to RP the hell out of the situations that suits us in the manner of regular human beings, but we do not act as human beings, we just act as we already know everything, and that is the spoiler from the forums, just pretending that we didn't hear about it till now, and suddenly after 5 minutes we already have an answer to the invasion of lets say Gallia on Bretonia? When in the Gods name did we become so good at planning and fact processing so we could decide that in matter of hours or days? The Overlord operation was delayed for numerous times just because few drops of rain fell from the sky, and that, as small as it would appear, was enough to halt back the largest operation ever launched to the date?
I am expecting some brains to come here and reply "And how would you know anything about that" or similar, but don't even bother really. I wont even try to explain.

Point is: You guys gave yourself permission today to link a post in the forums for inRP purposes, without even bothering to acquire it ingame, tomorrow expect that all the RP will be conducted on Discord channels in three or less words, don't even expect people to log ingame or on the forums. Try to act like a human, and don't jump immediately to justify such RP, by saying it could help develop other RP. No. Make your own RP with time devoted and then we will make this community better.

Jesus Christ even I wouldn't want or wouldn't bother reading all the above, let alone you guys. Sorry about that, I'm just a Pun Pug.

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Stewgar - 07-19-2023

(07-19-2023, 05:04 AM)SnakThree Wrote: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=197867

I am appalled that it is allowed to conduct this level of "leak". Anyone could betray any faction and reveal every base location, every other aspect of secrecy and let's be honest, face zero consequences except useless FR5 that doesn't do much in terms of actually ending this type of "roleplay"

Has nobody told you? This is a pvp server, not an RP server

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Doria - 07-20-2023

https://youtu.be/GwveSNjwOgs
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=197233

I am appalled that it is allowed to conduct this level of "RP". Anyone could write any BS post and have a friend server staff move a battleship from one place to another and, let's be honest, face zero consequences except useless QQ on the forums that don't do much in terms of actually ending this type of "roleplay".

:-P

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Kherty - 07-20-2023

In honesty I did not read the overwhelming majority of the thread yet, but I think it is a good thing.

Why?

Because it breaks the status quo. Even if it makes a bit less sense (such as an officer knowing that much while they're usually left with a single project, although I guess we can theorize that it works differently in the Freelancer/Discovery universe (maybe they can know more!), it allows a drastic paradigm shift, and this time, made by a player! Not obligatory dependent on the Story Department, but as a player-driven initiative, which, I believe, lacks.

It will force the governments, and the navies to act accordingly, such as the bounty offered now, which legitimize that threat for them and their allies! I find it a good way to break the status quo! Honestly I was looking forward to it!

I hope this will give way to further development that are not only railroaded by the Story Department, but give some agency to the players that are themselves always influenced by the Story Dept. - not that it is a bad thing of course, it is only natural, but as I said, some agency to the players can't be only detrimental, even if it doesn't make 100% sense!

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Darius - 07-20-2023

The status quo isn't broken, it's just slightly changed. If the person in question wanted to make a reasonable change then the roleplay in question would have been done much slower and over a longer period of time, all while remaining in the Navy. If you want an example of such a scenario, Rogue One offers a good example with the Death Star shenanigans.

This roleplay also doesn't actually make it challenging for lawfuls to play or roleplay, but on the contrary it opens up a number of ways that people can freely leak stuff to if they disagree with one aspect of the faction, something that has been already mentioned here in this thread. You are kidding yourself if you think that 2 bounties will be on par with the amount of damage (read: memes) that the thread generates beyond a few logs, but that's the best lawfuls can do in an environment where permakills don't exist.

Jaycee and Loken summed it up pretty well: just ignore the thread or use it to justify whatever it is your character is doing, but don't take it serious to the point where it impacts a ton of roleplay.

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Swifty - 07-22-2023

Im pretty sure it was just an attention-whoring post to open more cyber options for the person in question, no more no less and shouldn't be taken too seriouly anymore for reasons quite obvious.

Vice admirals dont have access to almost nothing related to the secret service agencies unless there's convenient third or 4th parties involved which in disco's case can EASILY be interpreted as a group circlejerk, cringe-behind-the-scenes arranged kind of thing and that doesnt cut it. Moreover, you would think that humans learned from their mistakes and that security clearances would be, well, a lot higher to guard secrets in the 30th(?) CENTURY so that when some m.i.a vice admiral comes back 10 years later threatening to leak......whatever knowledge they have.... doesnt happen. Ever. Anything else past that is metagaming at its finest and should be very well punished like everyone else does when they make them (purposely or not) and not simply get away with it, because if a number of certain individuals in this community pulled some bùllshït like that, i can assure you they wouldnt get such a welcoming treatment from the staff (Im definitely including myself there). Now that wouldnt be fair play, would it? But when has disco ever been fair in that regard? Smile

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Saronsen - 07-23-2023

(07-20-2023, 03:03 AM)Kherty Wrote: It will force the governments

as a libgov member
lmao
cope

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Kherty - 07-23-2023

(07-20-2023, 03:03 AM)Kherty Wrote: and the navies to act accordingly, such as the bounty offered now, which legitimize that threat

RE: How is this kind of RP allowed? - Swifty - 07-23-2023

Force them to act against who exactly? Bounties only kept individuals away from that kind of interactions but never stopped them from playing in their zone of comfort away from the trouble.

Never will the individual in question be caught for questioning or punishment unless the person "allows" it and rarely have i seen someone agree to seal an unfavourable fate for their character, many years ago too.

Also, laughs in GalGov voice.