Discovery Gaming Community
Generic Unlawful IFF - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Generic Unlawful IFF (/showthread.php?tid=85775)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Generic Unlawful IFF - Tachyon - 08-17-2012

It seems very inRP for unlawfuls to work in an undercover or hardly-detectable style, since it helps them with their business, Ursus.

And totally abnormal IFF/ID combos are sanctionable anyways; besides, having strict rules for IFF's might get people into trouble, when their IFF is accidently broken

Generic Unlawful IFF - Ursus - 08-17-2012

' Wrote:It seems very inRP for unlawfuls to work in an undercover or hardly-detectable style, since it helps them with their business, Ursus.
If the wilde can do it, so can a pirate. Saying oh I gotta have misleading IFF is mostly about a personal desire to dictate the terms of the encounter--if I look like a Junker instead of a pirate, I can get close enough to scan their cargo and engage without them running. Roleplay is too hard for some.

It's a multiplayer game, interaction is based on IFF (for the most part), play the role instead of begging for a damn crutch.

Quote:besides, having strict rules for IFF's might get people into trouble, when their IFF is accidently broken
Nobody is asking for a rule. I am exploring ways to automate it, but not a rule.

Generic Unlawful IFF - Tachyon - 08-18-2012

' Wrote:personal desire to dictate the terms of the encounter

Which is completely natural. I won't have someone else play my game, so to speak.

Generic Unlawful IFF - Ipuvaepe - 08-18-2012

' Wrote:I dont know why its optional. IFF is 99% of the game. Manipulating IFF is abuse of game mechanics IMO.
Less so than glitching your HUD so you continue to target cloaked ships so your CDs track them.

It really bugs me that pirates use the FL IFF, but if they don't then eventually they'll get an IFF that isn't kosher. 'tis yet another reason for a generic "unidentified" IFF - one that is not an unknown but specific IFF, but rather is not broadcasting. /togiff + relog switches your rep and "unidentified".

Generic Unlawful IFF - Pancakes - 08-18-2012

Junker IFF with Pirate ID is fine imo. Junkers pirate, not in house space but they do it. Having junker IFF just show you have junker allegiance, and people will treat you properly.

Same as having interspace IFF/FL ID'ed eagle - people will treat you as IC thug (or at least I would).

What is not acceptable is to have IFF which does not behave the way a pirate does - for example a zoner IFF. Zoners don't pirate, none of them. (Goes for any ID, really).

Generic Unlawful IFF - Coin - 08-18-2012

freelancer iff comes into targetable range, click on them, change to component view, see shape of ship. if snub craft take evasive manoeuvres. if ptrans, run like hell.

this suggestion leads us down 'red is dead', cos we'd be running off IFF not ID.

/poll vote: no

Generic Unlawful IFF - Ipuvaepe - 08-18-2012

' Wrote:What is not acceptable is to have IFF which does not behave the way a pirate does - for example a zoner IFF. Zoners don't pirate, none of them. (Goes for any ID, really).
Zoner IFF Pirate ID was prohibited specifically without context in which we can judge other tags, but this is the general idea yeah.

IFF is merely what you say you are, you can lie about it but some things are too unfair and must be restricted.
So long as IDs stay inRP, this is 100% fair.

Generic Unlawful IFF - Ursus - 08-18-2012

It's a multiplayer game, players should be clearly identified for gameplay purposes. More to the point, in the game universe every ship has an IFF that corresponds to the pilot type. Equipping an ID is agreeing to fulfill that role, and you should be obligated to do it and not able to misrpresent your role to other players. Its bad gameplay. It's also confusing as hell to new players, but that is mostly because it is abnormal when held up next to the rest of the game universe. Really, it should be locked as soon as you equip an ID here is your IFF thanks and good luck.

Generic Unlawful IFF - lw'nafh - 08-18-2012

Have none of you ever seen a Sci-Fi show where they change the ship's 'signature' to make them look like something else in order to fool the bad guys?

A pirate using a Freelancer IFF is the same idea.

Generic Unlawful IFF - SnakThree - 08-18-2012

' Wrote:Have none of you ever seen a Sci-Fi show where they change the ship's 'signature' to make them look like something else in order to fool the bad guys?

A pirate using a Freelancer IFF is the same idea.
Pirates using friendly nation flags to fool ships. RL example.