Discovery Gaming Community
Why has activity been so low this week? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Why has activity been so low this week? (/showthread.php?tid=122170)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Sath - 10-26-2014

And that answer is, "This is a goddamn game which is goddamn old. So pretty natural that playerbase is fluctuating. Oh, and RL plays another major card in drawing players away from this time intensive game, and unto newer games that are less time consuming and fun on the go."

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Swifty - 10-26-2014

(10-25-2014, 09:21 PM)|nfrared Wrote: 1) Make credits easier to earn for everyone. We all know the current grind system is there to maintain vets monopoly money dictatorship, surely you don't think we can't see that?

2) Organise server events again. Mining rotation is a good start, but refer to number 1 and you'll see why people aren't bothering.

3) Profit.

(10-25-2014, 09:21 PM)|nfrared Wrote: 3) Profit. 3) Profit.

So we deal with a ridiculous number of capspam later on? No thanks. Game profit is just great as it is now. I can make money easily, if you don't know (talking in general about newbies) how do to that, that doesn't mean they need to change it over and over again.

Edit: Not to mention that the capspam number is big enough now too.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Fluffyball - 10-26-2014

I believe people who are leaving are like kids of CoD era (not to insult anyone, I mean the new CoDs), who were interested with ARMA, but dropped that because "OMGURTOOHARDKKTHXBB".

Fewer players? Good. Sorry for those words, but it is better for us. I mean, not everyone were those lolwuts, but seriously, this is better for new players who WANT TO RP. Said enough, at least for me. I mean, face it. This is like every other MMO (in fact Disco is MO), where there will be players that WILL ruin experience of everyone else. But I am grateful for one thing:

There's nothing like "GOLD PLZ". In fact, we have several things like that (lolpirates, 12 million or die), but that's so rare so our experience is not that bad.

And it is kinda pity, on the other hand, that players leave. I mean, this is one of the very few places that I can play with players, not forced to master the game PvP, to level up for few days to even try to cooperate/go against them. I love RP here and it would be a pity if it just went offline. Most of the games I would love to play are time consuming, require grinding, money-wasting or just simply won't run on this junk of mine.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Mímir - 10-26-2014

(10-26-2014, 02:39 PM)Gypsie Skripto Wrote: Ok I'll be more direct, Mimir, Lyth. There are lots of us who find it funny that you even created this tread. We didn't know if you were being sarcastic with the OP, the answer of your question being so clear.

I didn't create the thread. I think the OP is interested in the decline of quality activity this week.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Karst - 10-28-2014

The thing about low activity is, it's a chain reaction.

I don't think there was a single deciding factor which caused this decline. Which, I may add, wasn't just this week but rather the last few weeks, or months even.

It's a combination of many factors, long waiting for a new update, school/university becoming busy for many people, a number of key players leaving or being banned, and simply the ever-increasing age of the game, and the ever-increasing amount of newer alternatives. And other reasons.

Despite what some people have been saying, I doubt the removal of jump trading had a meaningful effect on player numbers, but even if it did, it's no loss, since jump traders contributed absolutely nothing to the server in any way. Much in the way cancerous tissue may increase the mass of a living organism, while certainly not improving that organism's life.

By far the most important factor though is simply the chain reaction. Even a slight drop will make people notice. If there's 10-20 fewer people online than usual, people that would normally log may think "nah, nothing going on. I won't log now".
And of course that just exacerbates the cycle.
A handful more people won't log because player numbers are low, and numbers drop further. And then you have what we do now, 30-50 players outside prime time, which of course doesn't encourage people to log.

What can be done? It's really not so complicated. Just log.
Not a lot of people online? Well, everyone that logs anyway is a part of changing that. Every person that logs even if there aren't really enough people to interact with brings that up, and will in turn cause more people to log.
It's easy to say disco is dying, nobody logs anymore, etc., but it's also not hard to simply log on and establish 1/200th of the final crowbar.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Lobster - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 04:13 AM)Karst Wrote: Just log.

That.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - nOmnomnOm - 10-28-2014

About 1 more month till end of semester for me... Things will start to get a little hectic now ... :S

That's my reason.

RE: Why has activity been so low this week? - Zen_Mechanics - 10-30-2014

2 Reasons , First I didn't want to play and second - There was a double-dilithium weekend in STO - which im sure people took advantage of, including myself.