Discovery Gaming Community
LH LF. WIP, Wed (Done: VHF, Bomber) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: LH LF. WIP, Wed (Done: VHF, Bomber) (/showthread.php?tid=130689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Swallow - 06-30-2015

Copy that.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - ShadowWalker - 07-01-2015

The previous suggestions are very good so I withhold my comments until we see the improved version. My only concern is the shape of the cockpit, though if textured correctly it may turn into something very good.

But let's see the next version!

The Lane Hacker Shipline - The Lane Hackers - 07-03-2015

It is a shipline not an upgrade

One important clarification concerning the model and its shipline. While this model cannot be a VHF version of Bayonet for obvious reasons, it is different enough to be a part of a completely new, in this case Lane Hacker, shipline. I do not even think that any radical changes to the model are necessary to limit the resemblance, as in my opinion the bearing resemblance to Bayonet is not a vice, but a virtue. In roleplay Bayonet was epitome of Lane Hacker technology. Lane Hackers selling Bayonet to black market makes sense only if they were working on something new, intending to use the additional funds from ship sales to complete a better version of it. Something not entirely identical but slightly similar to Outcasts dumping Sabre for Rapier.

It is just heavy

I cannot help to think that the model you made is more of a Heavy Fighter than a Very Heavy one. While the plain top might lack additional details, it might be a good way to distinguish this way Heavy and Very Heavy models, giving the latter additional top "fins", "exhausts" or "external modules".

It doesn't have to be fat

As we mentioned already the model does not have to be fat to avoid being too flat. Changing slightly the horizontal axis of the ship to be either a bit curvy or to simply change "wings" orientation slightly will most suffice. This will expand vertically the side profiles of the ship, while also reduce the top profile - making it I think a PvP'able vessel.

[Image: NWad4Jb.png]

The more I look the more I like

Great job so far. The more I look at this model the more I like it. It obviously needs some fine tuning. Here are some of my remarks.

1. Cockpit. It's general shape is nice but it most likely needs more vertices unless you want to use super customized textures. Especially it needs something to distinguish the part where cockpit "glass" is fused into ship frame. Also I think you could add some love to the connection between cockpit segment and the ship main shape.
  2. Wing-sticks. I would play with the length, broadness and shape of the mini-wing sticks on both sides of the cockpit. However, the more I look at them the more distinctive style and shape they give the whole ship.
  3. Engines. Looking at these engines I think that they are simply too long. They have two parts. so maybe try to simply partially fuse the smaller more external one into the bigger one reducing therefore their length in about half?

Textures are everything

As we all know, textures are everything for low polygonal models. I humbly suggest that after addressing the comments so far, instead of making lighter and heavier versions of this ship you try to put some clothes on it. It will, I hope, allow everyone to fully assess the model and its, I hope, beauty.

Thank you for your work,
Bogusław

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Swallow - 07-03-2015

Thank you for such a great input, I feel well-armed and satisfied now.
As soon as I will be free I will provide the refined mesh with consideration of all the wishes. Then, on approve, I will move to a texturejob, and when done HF, LF and bomber would be done.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Alestone - 07-03-2015

Having read the official input, what about angling the waist wings down by 15-20 degrees? That would provide more air surface without bulking the ship, and would also give it some curve.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Swallow - 07-03-2015

Those so-called "wings" are gun mounts... Air? What air? And I will look at what could be done to it once I get to work.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Weirdheadedredbeard - 07-04-2015

I love all these designs. I hate to ask, since I'm sure it's already posted but what tools do you use for ship crafting? Would you mind pointing me to any preexisting post for this?

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - D!ce - 07-04-2015

(07-04-2015, 02:57 AM)Weirdheadedredbeard Wrote: I love all these designs. I hate to ask, since I'm sure it's already posted but what tools do you use for ship crafting? Would you mind pointing me to any preexisting post for this?

His resources are in his signature.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Weirdheadedredbeard - 07-04-2015

His resources are in his signature.
[/quote]

Admittedly embarrassing. Thank you.

RE: Lane hacker shipline. WIP - Swallow - 07-04-2015

I'll just make the link even more larger.