Discovery Gaming Community
Changing Trent's Costume - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Changing Trent's Costume (/showthread.php?tid=103976)

Changing Trent's Costume - PlasmaSabre - 08-28-2013

This is my first post Smile .
(I'm sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong place, I only recently found out about the forums.)

I was looking through the files in \Discovery Freelancer 4.86.0\DATA\CHARACTERS\BODIES a few days ago, when i discovered that replacing the pl_trent_body.dfm file with another file (such as rh_deidrich_body.dfm) changes Trent's costume in game, when he is in the station walking around etc.

My question is this: is this 'modding' allowed, or not?. I re-read the rules on hacking (quoted below), and I don't think it violates any of them as the only change is visual, and does not affect any other people.

Thanks for any replies,
TANKinetic

(sorry I don't know how to quote things either)

2. Cheating & Hacking

2.1 Following actions are considered cheating on server:

- Using non-Discovery mods, speed-related and loot-related mods especially, as well as using modifications that improve stats of items and ships;
- Changing account information and using any kinds of software that changes normal gameplay;
- Using any equipment not included for sale/looting in Discovery mod.
- Using equipment that exceeds ship specs;
- Cloning, e.g. creating new characters to collect starting money;
- Single player having more than one instance of Discovery open to fly their own characters;
- "Suicide Trading".

2.2 Threats or attempts to hack server, both successful and unsuccessful, will result in banning your server accounts forever, as well as blocking access to the server and forums.

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Wraga - 08-28-2013

As far as I remember you was the guy who asked for this via ingame when I was on my Angel char, so it's good to see that you reached the forum.

I think you could get an appropriate answer, but I suggest you to use/read this thread about your problem:

Click me so hard!

Ps: Welcome!

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Govedo13 - 08-28-2013

I had this before it is np. It is client side visual change it does not affect gameplay or trigger the autoban thing, or it hasn't like half year ago or so. Make new acc, new char and test it if it works- if you does not get autobanned it is ok, also there was topic around the place where different skins were available for download, use search.

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Commissar - 08-28-2013

I can't imagine there being a problem with it. Changing Trent's costume is a feature that Disovery Singleplayer supports without mucking around in the game files. The command costume x where x is the desired costume (e.g costume Orillion) will allow you to change things in single player. There's a full list of commands and examples here, if you'd like a bit more context.

Just don't try female body swaps. If you do, be ready with the brain bleach.

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Gateway Shipping Inc - 08-28-2013

Here's a Trent Costume I did earlier!

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=102314&highlight=gateway|+suits

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - PlasmaSabre - 08-28-2013

Thanks for replying so quickly guys!

I did what you suggested, Govedo13, and i didn't get autobanned, so it seems to be ok.

@Wraga: Yes that was me, and i will discuss this idea on that thread in further posts. Looking through it, this change appears to be fine.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Smile

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Wraga - 08-28-2013

In the meantime I gave it a try so if any of you have some files what could change the formal Trent style, some link or files could be usefull.

RE: Changing Trent's Costume - Durandal - 08-29-2013

I put on my robe and wizard hat...