Discovery Gaming Community
The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The New Gaian Front Reading Room (/showthread.php?tid=106600)

Pages: 1 2

The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 10-30-2013

[Image: RlKqyv6.png]

Welcome! Welcome! One and all!
To the New Gaian Front Reading Room!
~ A relaxing place where Gaia's hardworking Doctors may file their daily reports ~

My good Doctors!
Please feel free to file all action reports here.
Please include things like;
Miners accosted ~ and what became of them?
Enemies engaged ~ and what were the results?
What you were wearing ~ And did you look smashing, debonair?

You know, the usual.

Also,
This is a fine place for any stray thoughts that you find rattling around your brainpans...
...even if we will all laugh and laugh (and laugh) about them!

Pssssssst!
Any non-Gaian non-Doctors found posting here will be subjected to the Spanking Machine of DOOM, and tossed out the nearest airlock ...in a dress ...made of razor blades ...rusty ones ...with bits of hair on them

That is all
-For Now!

-+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+-

This thread is for Doctors only.

For feedback on New Gaian Front roleplay, please use this thread:
The New Gaian Front RP Feedback Thread

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 10-30-2013

My good Doctors!

I have a small story to share with you, so that you may rejoice that Gaia's dashing defenders have once again prevailed!

BMM is forever staring bleary eyed down the sights of their mining turrets, carving the goddess flesh in ignorance of the true harm they cause.

Skimming along the asteroid fields in Cambridge I came across two of these cancers-- a miner and his transport-- so I proceeded directly to their position. Gaia must be defended! Who else will give her reprieve from her torments?

Out of consideration, I will conceal the identities of our adversaries, calling them instead Venereal and Inflicter.

I do this out of the goodness of my heart, because I wouldn't want others to think ill of them if they listen in on our comms. Even this disease, miners, is a form of Life that must be treated with gentle kindness by those of the Doctorly profession.

So I came upon them at approximately F2 in Cambridge, spraying away at the defenseless pebbles like crazed maniacs. Well, actually Venereal was just sitting there like a large space turd, but Inflicter's fat chassy was pelting the rocks with a fury.

Dr.Bones:: Here I see some carvers of the Goddess' flesh.

I careened by with engines killed to scan their holds, beginning first with Inflicter:

Dr.Bones:: empty hold so far...

Then I scanned the transport:

Dr.Bones:: Venereall! Stop this carnage!
Dr.Bones:: And Inflicter.
Inflicter009: Yes?
Dr.Bones:: You hurt the Goddess mother
Inflicter009: what are you talking about?
Dr.Bones:: You are the disease that destroys the source of Life itself. I must defend Gaia against those that hurt Her!
Inflicter009: I'm not hurting anything
Dr.Bones:: These rocks are Her bones, the ore Her blood. If you don't stop, I'll have to remove your turrets.
Inflicter009: These rocks slam into each other all the time
Dr.Bones:: This is the cellular structure of the Universe itself
Inflicter009: why don't you concern yourself with keeping the earth from killing itself?
Dr.Bones:: the Universe is more than just planets

At this, Inflicter turned and began doggedly pelting the asteroids again.

Exasperated, I decided to clean out his ears:

Dr.Bones:: engaging Inflicter's turret
Inflicter009: desist
Dr.Bones:: And you? will you desist in carving the Goddess flesh?
Inflicter009: once i have a full cargo load
Dr.Bones:: Venereal, empty your cargo so that I may return the ore to the mother
Inflicter009: we arent emptying our ore
Dr.Bones:: engaging turret
Inflicter009: we are stopping
Dr.Bones:: Go and mine no more
Dr.Bones:: the goddess gains a short respite from your cruelty

It seemed the sun had emerged from behind a nebula to shine once more, but it was not to be. Inflicter was just pulling my stylish leg, for in short time he resumed his assaults upon Gaia.

Dr.Bones:: engaging turrets again

Soon, Inflicter was ready to talk:

Inflicter009: I think we can negotiate something
Dr.Bones:: Like what
Inflicter009: Explain to me-- what are your views? I will stop mining while you explain.
Dr.Bones:: I am a Gaian doctor. We are the Universal Mother's personal physicians. We have diagnosed the disease as mining. We try to impede mining, to help the Mother.
Inflicter009: Only mining?
Dr.Bones:: Mainly.
Inflicter009: What about pollution, like the junkyards in liberty?
Dr.Bones:: we like scrap mining & we like how ALG removes toxic waste. Those who clean up the trash are Gaia's angels.
Inflicter009: do not we clean up trash?
Dr.Bones:: No, you are extracting new ores
Inflicter009: we mine the small debris
Dr.Bones:: That is the blood of the Mother herself.
Dr.Bones:: *scowls* how can you shoot these poor defenseless rocks?
Inflicter009: They are rocks
Dr.Bones:: they contain Gaia's blood
Inflicter009: they do not live, breath, or feel. Blood is a liquid isn't it?
Dr.Bones:: You do not hear it, but it speaks to us. Blood transports life, energy. Blood connects one part of the body to the other.
Inflicter009: what other part of the body does the ore connect to?

Finding some goddess blood laying unattended in space, I turned my guns to fire upon it, disintegrating it to its spiritual essence:

Dr.Bones:: Return to the mother, ore!
Dr.Bones:: If you dump the ore and we destroy it, its spirit will return to its Source
Inflicter009: if you convince me, maybe ill dump the ore.
Inflicter009: tell me more about the Gaians
Dr.Bones:: Well... we're not really evangelists
Dr.Bones:: The Gaian Doctors love all of Gaia
Dr.Bones:: not just the planet Gaia. We are scientists and visionaries who try to protect the Universe herself
Inflicter009: what is gaia?
Dr.Bones:: All of Sirius is Gaia
Inflicter009: is Sirius alive?
Dr.Bones:: Yes
Dr.Bones:: We are her imperfect messengers
Inflicter009: How are you imperfect?
Dr.Bones:: She does speak, but we only hear Her imperfectly. We must examine her to find her illnesses and remove the disease.
Dr.Bones:: right now, you are the disease
Inflicter009: What can I do to stop the disease?
Dr.Bones:: cease all mining.
Dr.Bones:: haul scrap, waste, rice
Inflicter009: rice?
Dr.Bones:: we like rice
Dr.Bones:: But there are lots of good things that don't destroy Gaia
Inflicter009: such as?
Dr.Bones:: Anything but ores, wildlife, terraforming gases
Inflicter009: wildlife destroy gaia?
Dr.Bones:: wildlife are life
Dr.Bones:: I wouldn't recommend running slaves either

Inflicter found his attention drifting and lumbered off to torture rocks some more:

Dr.Bones:: are you back to mining? sad.
Dr.Bones:: engaging turret

This time Inflicter and his pal Venereal (keep your distance, good Doctors) trundled off, leaving the asteroids in peace.

I pelted a few Mollys in the head and detonated a mine in a Bounty Hunter's engine as I watched their departure.

Before they left scanner range I called out on the comms:

Dr.Bones:: Gaia blesses you for your mercy today!
Inflicter009: ill be back to mine
Inflicter009: im not done ravaging gaia
Dr.Bones:: Oh, I'm sure
Dr.Bones:: You probably do the same to your own mother.

And so Gaia received a rest from her torments. May we, her Antibodies, grant her many more!

Dr. Bones
Senior Scientist at Large

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 11-02-2013

Out amidst the lazy golden fields of Dublin, with drunken Mollys careening in the light of her vibrant sun, it is easy to forget how Gaia's flesh is routinely desecrated by the clawing pincers of scrabbling miners intent on devouring the last of Her golden life's blood.

Ah yes... a peaceful scene. Peace lies in the dreamy eyes of a smiling Gaia. The fitful light deals tenderly with the wreckage of a...

Into this scene we bring a dashing Doctor in his gunboat, two miners in Arrastras and a fleeing transport:

Miner1: Greetings, Sir.
Dr.Cure: Gaia's greetings.
Miner1: What can we do for you?
Dr.Cure: You carve the Mother's flesh, children. Please stop.

As the conversation continues, the guys discover that they share a love of fine Whiskey and Bretonian pomp-rock, but the miners and Cure have much more not in common, which makes for strained civility as they improbably bond.

Dr.Cure: We have taken enough from the Mother to last for generations and the elemental properties of those materials remain intact even when recovered from wreckage.
Miner2: I understand, but with the ever-growing human population, we can't just stop it.
Dr.Cure: We can agree to disagree.
Miner2: That we can.
Dr.Cure: We concern ourselves with the Mother, not humans.
Miner2: But if we are children of the Mother, do you not care about us too?
Dr.Cure: Even children, when they are cruel, must be punished.
Miner2: Is death the punishment?
Dr.Cure: Certainly not. I might have to remove some of your turrets, nothing more. We value all life.
Miner1: I assume... it's edication first. And 'ducation is what we get at the moment.
Dr.Cure: We merely try to give Gaia a reprieve from Her torments.
Miner1: Hey, Buddy, let's move out, shall we? Tell our boss that we hurt Gaia and ask him what he says 'bout it.
Miner2: Yeah, let's head out and give the Mother a rest.
Dr.Cure: Rest well, Gaia's children.
Miner1: Course set to Hood... You too, Doctor!
Miner2: Good luck out there, Doctor.
Miner1: <mumbling to Buddy> Weird guys there are... but ye. A nice break it is.

Dr.Cure: <talking to himself on the comms> And so the Universal Mother gets a chance to rest from her torments!!

To form friendships across ideological lines is a noble undertaking, in its way, but not one that transcends the Universal Mother's central difficulty. Camaraderie between miners and Doctors can never really go anywhere, because they do not hear the cries of the Mother Beast as they carve her flesh.

Lean your ear to the Mother... follow her... do not resist... you are made of Her.

[Image: 2tZeyyj.png]

Dr.Cure
Chief of Medicine

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Papa Oomaumau - 11-02-2013

*rubbing beard, looking quite stern*
Yes well....
...reports reports, ah, yes! reports!
I'd forgotten why I came in here! Sorry, so much time - so little on my mind.

*halts, smirks lightly and turns to the camera*
Strike that, reverse it.
*smacks gloved hands together*

So, I was in Tau-23 today, looking for more of these carvers of Universal flesh, these putrid lesions living like asymbiotic parasites, these 'miners' when I came upon the captain of an Interspace vessel, the MoneyMaker.
We had along discussion about the merits of Super Alloys and other recycled materials, while I tried vainly to get the poor fool to drop his cargo full of Niobium Ore and vaporize it, thereby returning it to the Great Mother.

*raises eyebrow*
Well, of course the short-sighted captain bolted - right into a KNF patrol wing.
*rubs hands together worryingly*
Yeah, um, that didn't turn out well.

It is surely a fine thing that there is no shortage of recycled material on our bases, my Claymore is going to need another metric ton of it in patchups!

*is about to switch off the commset, but holds his hand over the switch*
Still, if this is what it takes to slow or stop the cancerous mining of our own Goddess Mother's skin, so be it.

Dr. Steel, signing off

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Papa Oomaumau - 11-03-2013

*Dr. Steel coughs into hand, as the comm recorder whirrs to life*
My Good Doctors!
I have come across one of Dr. Kynde's original dissertations amongst our laboratory clutter.
*waggles an audio diskette in front of the camera*
I thought we could all use to hear it, call it a sort of refresher course, if you will - continuing education being the mark of a fine Doctor, and all...
*slides the diskette into an antique player, swipes the play button.*

*a short chopped hiss, followed by brief feedback, and then a deep metered voice...

The construction, form, and execution of any solar system is as close to the description of an atom as to be indistinguishable.

Each is comprised of a nucleus, and an orbiting surrounding structure.
-The sun, or gravitic center, that is denser than the outlying structure, and by virtue of it’s mass and the clash of positive and negative energies within it, holds the rest in stasis or orbit.
-The outlying structure is made of smaller bodies that circle this nucleus and either absorb, reflect, or neutralize the incoming energies.

Collections of these solar systems comprise galaxies, in perfect replication of collections of atoms comprising cells.
Cells also have their own nuclei, as do galaxies - you need only look to see galaxies whirl or coalesce around their own central supermassive black holes.

If every galaxy then is a cell, then the space between would be analogous to cell walls.

A structure starts to insist itself.
A living structure - a growing structure.
See, the Universe itself is expanding, the mathematics prove it.

The Big Bang Theory, which states that the entire universe exploded from a singularity, the same process describes the splitting of the first zygotes in the process of organic reproduction.

What is then, the night sky?
It could only be a living thing itself to have birthed life, could it not?

Billions of the Universe's 'cells' are visible to us, we who live inside God watching the perfect beauty in shows of light and matter.

Perhaps our god is just one of many creatures, in their own macro-universe, and perhaps our God ponders just exactly what its own stars are…

We ponder no longer.
We Gaians look out and see The Goddess!

And theory becomes scientific proof - and in a way, all the religious zealots turn out to be right...

We are made BY the Godddess,
OF Her
FOR Her
…because we ARE Her
We are born BECAUSE of, created by the very matter of Great Gaia.

Now, you are beginning to see Her as the Mother Goddess, the Universe Herself, Great Mother Gaia! And She is NOT yours to do with what you will!

Know you, that when you strip-mine a field, when you terraform a planet, when you alter the form of Gaia’s body, you have become a cancer.

When things start scraping away at the insides of our cells, or eat away at the walls between, we get sick.
Sometimes we die.

So, now at the very kindest, we are making our own Mother Universe ill.
At the worst, we are killing The Goddess Mother!

This simply will not do.

We cannot stand by, knowing what we do, and watch you slaughter Our Mother for profit!
Miners everywhere - of all shades colors and creeds - your days have ended!
Gaia must live!
You must repair the cancer you have nurtured.

You are ALL hereby instructed to cease all mining, return any ores you possess, and destroy them, thus returning them to their purpose.

Your mining vessels are to be scrapped and recycled into Super Alloy, within one week’s time.
Any mining vessels found by our agents from that day forth will be considered cancerous and heretical, and be disemboweled of their sacrilegious cargo and the living parasites that control them..

In return we will provide samples of our Super Alloys, sold at Skye base and other Gaian bases, manufactured from renewable recycled materials.
We will refund to you 1 unit of Super Alloy per 100 units of mined ores and metals confiscated.

We expect great wealth will go to the few who are bold enough to see the future of Super Alloy, and are offering this stimulus package to help you get into business.
This new economy will feed only off of itself, and will hopefully eat away at the seemingly endless supply of garbage that we humans have so foolishly made of Gaia’s own flesh.

Junkers, ALG, you are doing Gaia’s work by cleaning up the human filth and residue left behind by the thoughtless Godkillers who pretend to bring salvation in the form of wealth.

So long as you continue your quest to clean man’s scum from the cells of Great Gaia, you will be called Associate Physicians, Nurses and Healers, and be revered by us and our medical staffs.

But these vile short-sighted miners!
Their insane resource-hungry power-mad policies have brought us all to this precipice!
You will carve great bleeding furrows in Gaia’s flesh no longer!

You would kill The Goddess to feed your own vices, and throw responsibility to the winds. - This makes you cancerous, dangerous, and parasitic.

And we, the New Gaian Front, Great Gaia Goddess’s immune system, will administer the cure, by scalpel or by chainsaw, if we must.

*a click, a hiss, and the diskette pops out of the player*

Well, my Fine Doctors, were I able to pry Dr. Kynde from his studies, I'm sure he would say nothing less or more than he already had, 'lo those many years ago when his research first brought him, and indeed all of us, to this conclusion.

I hope that as we Doctors fly our recycled craft through the endless beauty of our ever-expanding Gaia, that this can serve as reminder of our tasks, our duty, and our calling.

For Gaia!
Becuase if we don't fight for Her health, we doom all of life in the Universe Herself to the deep void of futurelessness.
Err, non-future-having-ness....
*tugs beard*
...err well, you know what I mean... Right?

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 11-04-2013

My Good Doctors!

Today I managed to find nothing but two BMM carrion eaters lurking in the pebbles next to Graves Station.

Their only response was, "Oh-oh!" before they fled to dock.

I guess word is getting out about our unflinching dedication to the protection of the Goddessflesh in Dublin!

In any case, their names were Hagen.MD and {-Medusa-}

Given the closeness of their base all I could do was to careen wildly about the base structure in tight circles while a destroyer blasted away at their storage structures.

Since I was still recovering from a recent wardrobe malfunction, I was grateful for a mellow evening of razor fire and manic BMMers pelting uselessly at my hull.

Nothing else to report. Be well, Gaia's Physicians!

Dr.Cure, signing off

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 11-10-2013

My Good Doctors!

I have sorrowful news...

I recently scanned the Junker Salvage Frigate "SnowWhite" carrying Gold Ore and other vile products ripped from the Goddess' poor, abused flesh.

This Junker is no angel, for he scorns his proper role as "salvager" in pursuit of short-sighted profit. He is the disease.

So next time we run across him, he should meet the Big Bad Wolf.

-1 on Junker relations.

Dr.Cure, signing out

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Papa Oomaumau - 11-16-2013

[Image: uhMkAfn.png]
~

Holmfirth Control, this is Doctor Phineas Steel on an inbound vector... thingy.

I'm going to need laboratory sectors 3 and 4a sealed off, and a containment team at bay 3.
I have the element.

Do alert the Chief of my arrival time.
And tell him his pants are on sideways.

Then film him for a couple minutes.

I'm doing experiments on external suggested stride adjustment formulae...
...I could use the data.

~
[Image: iqkOvdH.png]
~

Oh, and have the Nurse staff on standby with a pot of hot coffee and my favorite lab coat!
The one that goes "weeekr weeeekr" when I wave my arms.

Nurses Hatchett and Nife will need to scrub in immediately.
And yes, all the way scrubbed, thank you.

I'll not have a repeat of last time!

Now listen, i'm in docking orbit - I think...
I can't tell what the hell this computer is doing right now!
Give me an abacus and a sliderule any day!

So open up!
[Image: EEtixL8.png]

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 12-08-2013

My Good Doctors!

Dr.Disaster reporting in.

Today in the middle of taking vital signs for Gaia and dressing and sterilizing Her wounds, I quite literally ran into a miner in a Hegemon-- or rather, he ran into me.

I might have been taking a bit of a snooze in a trade lane when it happened.

In any case, I promptly awoke and demanded that he drop his cargo of ore.

He laughed at me-- demeaning my small hold size and ridiculous attempts at piracy.

Piracy?! I protect the Universal Mother Herself!

*scoffs* Petty, small minded children, these miners...

So I hit him with a couple more CDs while he thought about it and then proceeded to remove his turrets... or I tried to do so.

"Hold still!" I said, "and let me shoot your turrets!"

"Just, no..." he said, and scooted off in the direction of the Omega-3 sun.

As I tailed him I clarified my role as Gaia's Physician, or Field Surgeon in my case. He didn't seem interested.

So I told him a joke-- "What do you call five miners burning up in the sun's corona?"

"A good start." But I don't think he heard that last part because he... died and stuff.

Well, it was nice while it lasted.

So Gaia's work proceeds apace!

Mining is interrupted and Class-B stars are fed with miners. A win-win for us, Her humble physicians.

Be well, my Dearest Doctors! I will raise a toast to you with this IV bag, in which I have mixed various colorful beverages-- "For truth, Gaia and stay out of our way!"

*almost smacks into a large asteroid*

I am all right!

RE: The New Gaian Front Reading Room - Pel - 12-26-2013

Dr. Phil here:

Sad to say, but today when I was checking on the Old Girl out Dublin way I ran across two Junkers who were sucking Her poor bones dry and fillin' their holds like two hounds in flea season. There's a lot of nooses in that family tree-- no doubt about it.

So I feel lower than a gopher hole, but life is a marathon not a sprint-- I gotta find the patience to deal with these sorry fools.

I accompanied them from Dublin through to Omega-3, but wasn't able to convince them of the error of their ways. Which stands to reason because those two were dumber than a box of rocks. I was nice and all and didn't fire on them, but I figure if I did they were so thick-headed I could hit them in the face with a tire iron and they wouldn’t yell till morning.

So we been wanting to work alongside these Junkers. We raise them up like they're bright as a new penny, but these two weren't worth spit. I really don't think we should tolerate them carrying on like they do and want to know what the rest of y'all Doctors think, but I'd just as soon bite a bug as tolerate them no-account Junkers two-stepping all over the Goddess flesh like they ain't got a care in the world.

As far as I'm concerned, Ramble.On and Almost.Honest are buzzard-bait.

[Image: 7sSm6Lz.png]