Discovery Gaming Community
FL on new atom - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: FL on new atom (/showthread.php?tid=109267)

FL on new atom - lIceColon - 12-25-2013

So uh
I recently got an ASUS T100
Which is a budget tablet/netbook with a new quad core atom z3740 inside running at 1.33~1.8ghz
When I try to play Disco, the game starts to get <10fps every time multiple pewing ships are around, and performance is choppy even when I turn down the graphics settings.
It runs War Thunder (on lowest settings) great never dropping below 30 fps in 1368*768 as well as Flight Simulator 2004 and a couple of 2D games smoothly.
I know that a couple other players play Disco on their (theoretically inferior) netbooks so I don't think its a performance issue, especially seeing the z3740 has ~ivy bridge graphics.
Help?

RE: FL on new atom - Kazinsal - 12-25-2013

Welcome to the pitfalls of the highly-specific-task-optimized Intel Atom platform. I'm typing this on an Atom-based netbook right now, and I have six tabs in Firefox open, one of which is an hour long YouTube video (30 Seconds to Mars' "This Is War" album, for those wondering). I'm writing a short story snippet in OpenOffice as well. No problems at all. Everything is as smooth as butter that's been sitting on the counter in early summer for a couple hours.

As soon as I open Skype, though, the thing makes a Pentium III look like a Cray supercomputer.

The Atom platform just isn't able to do a lot of stuff. That's why I don't recommend netbooks to customers at work looking for a small, inexpensive laptop. A refurbished one from four years back that's the same price as a new netbook will leave the netbook behind in the dust.

RE: FL on new atom - Govedo13 - 12-25-2013

I agree with the said opinion.
I experienced the same situation with the low level AMD APUs as well, a friend of mine had one of the Asus Aspire One netbooks- really bad thing.
My desktop A4-6300 at work is on the other hand quite good, however it uses proper mid level APU and proper amounts of RAM.
Stay away from all entry level hardware stuff they always sux.

RE: FL on new atom - lIceColon - 12-25-2013

I was hoping for an actual solution :|
while the atom platform isn't exactly a beast, from everything I've gathered about bay trail, it should absolutely be able to handle Freelancer.
And kazinsal, while atom doesn't make the best general purpose computers, the asus t100 lasts practically forever when coupled with a 30AH power bank, you can't say the same for any refurbished power hungry piece of laptop from 4 years back.

RE: FL on new atom - belorusich - 12-25-2013

You are lucky, at my netbook freel produces horrible graphic bugs and artifacts

May be processor core is not able to process freelancer, because it uses 1 core?(I am not sure, maybe i am not right)

RE: FL on new atom - Thargoid - 12-25-2013

I play FL on an Intel Atom 1.6 (single core, hyper-threaded), with 1GB of RAM.

It doesn't work well on Windows 7, so I installed Windows XP, it runs fine for most things, PvP is difficult because the framerate drops dramatically, especially in group fights.

If you're having problems, try running it in XP, it uses a different driver and works fine for me, even at full graphic settings.

I also run FL on my desktop, just use the netbook for trading/mining/a spot of piracy while watching TV or something.

RE: FL on new atom - Lythrilux - 12-25-2013

One thing to take into account: Laptops and especially Netbooks are not designed to play games.

RE: FL on new atom - lIceColon - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 03:04 PM)Thargoid Wrote: It doesn't work well on Windows 7, so I installed Windows XP, it runs fine for most things, PvP is difficult because the framerate drops dramatically, especially in group fights.
My problem exactly. Although the XP solution probably wouldn't work, the driver issue only occurs on older atoms since no proper win7 drivers were released for them.

(12-25-2013, 03:10 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: One thing to take into account: Laptops and especially Netbooks are not designed to play games.
Probably. Although my previous 14" ultrabook with a i5-3317u and gt640m le would beg the differ. Although that thing had neither the form factor nor the battery life required of decent portability.

(12-25-2013, 02:58 PM)belorusich Wrote: May be processor core is not able to process freelancer, because it uses 1 core?(I am not sure, maybe i am not right)
Which brings me to another point- is there any way to use only 1 core, but boost that core up to decent speeds so that singled threaded games like FL would be more playable?

Probably not. Appreciate the effort

RE: FL on new atom - Thargoid - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 04:47 PM)lIceColon Wrote: Which brings me to another point- is there any way to use only 1 core, but boost that core up to decent speeds so that singled threaded games like FL would be more playable?

Probably not. Appreciate the effort

Yes there is...

Task Manager > Processors > Right click "Freelancer.exe" > Set Affinity...

Unselect the other threads/cores/cpu, and only select one.

Also set priority of Freelancer.exe to high in Task Manager > Processors.

Doing all of the above may help.