Discovery Gaming Community
UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error (RESOLVED) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error (RESOLVED) (/showthread.php?tid=109800)

UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error (RESOLVED) - Jimothy - 01-06-2014

When clicking 'sent messages' in the user message centre thingamy, I get this screen:
<SNIP IMAGE NOW RESOLVED>
I have been seeing this for as long as I can remember, and if memory serves, started just after the forum change, which I admit has been a while, but I've been absent and it's not a feature I use very often anyways.
However, I have done the usual restart, cache clearing, log in/out... blah.
But this time, I'm finally getting round to asking: How does I fix?

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error - Vigilia.Procuratio - 01-06-2014

This isn't a client bug, but appears to relate to a conversion from a previous installation over to MyBB, and is therefore a server issue. It looks as if the guest account is the target, which doesn't exist in the context of the message centre.

I don't know, but this link may be useful...

http://community.mybb.com/post-408031.html

On a side-note, these error messages should be logged but not displayed to the client as they could potentially disclose sensitive data.

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error - Jimothy - 01-06-2014

So, nothing to do personally, well, at least I didn't break it.
(01-06-2014, 04:17 PM)Vigilia.Procuratio Wrote: On a side-note, these error messages should be logged but not displayed to the client as they could potentially disclose sensitive data.
So, I shouldn't see it, or I shouldn't be showing it to the wordl?

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error - Error - 01-06-2014

(10-01-2013, 10:43 PM)Error Wrote: This thread pops up rather frequently, and luckily it is also rather easy to fix if you're getting the exact same MyBB/MySQL error message as Trogdor.
(02-16-2013, 02:08 AM)Error Wrote: Have a look at this thread, and particularily my last post in it.

EDIT:
What you need to do is:
1. Download your old messages, if you want to keep them
2. Empty all of your PM folders.

That'll fix it.
Sorry for just copying and pasting my old post, but a quick search would have answered this. As I said in my post from October; this question pops up rather frequently, and is related to our transition from IPB to MyBB in late 2012. Just follow the instructions above to fix it.

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error - Vigilia.Procuratio - 01-06-2014

(01-06-2014, 04:24 PM)Spiritar Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 04:17 PM)Vigilia.Procuratio Wrote: On a side-note, these error messages should be logged but not displayed to the client as they could potentially disclose sensitive data.
So, I shouldn't see it, or I shouldn't be showing it to the wordl?
Both.

Most importantly, it is good practice for a web master to suppress error messages but in this case they are either displayed by default or they have been enabled.

As a precaution, I recommend privately forwarding any database errors to an Administrator. However, given that MyBB is a rather standard and popular forum package, the relevant information would be available by simply downloading the software from the vendor and looking at its code, and it is very unlikely that the data would be sensitive. At least it doesn't look problematic in this case.

On some websites, particularly if of a financial nature, the names of a database, its tables and columns ought not be publicly disclosed because attackers might then know where to look should an SQL injection vulnerability exist.

Further, public disclosure of such errors could even identify a vulnerability.

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error - Jimothy - 01-06-2014

Thanks Error, problem solved.

And as for the vulnerabilities side of things, I'll take the image down just to be on the safe-side.

Thanky

RE: UserCP Sent Messages BB SQL Error (RESOLVED) - chase.way - 01-25-2014

Nice, had the same problem, deleting took care of it. Smile