Discovery Gaming Community
Rex Easly--The Wilde Side - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Rex Easly--The Wilde Side (/showthread.php?tid=110492)

Rex Easly--The Wilde Side - Garrett Jax - 01-19-2014

Chapter One

The first of the five senses to come back to Rex Easly was sound. Almost involuntarily, his mind began to sort and identify the cacophony of noises that assaulted him. Automated alarms sounded a pre-recorded message alerting passengers to quickly, yet calmly, find the nearest escape pod. Unfamiliar footsteps marched back and forth, some with a determined purpose, others sounding as if they were dragging heavy loads across a metal grated surface. Then there were the screams—Painful, fear-inspiring cries from a woman he didn’t recognize. Several footsteps rushed toward the woman. The sound of a gun echoed, and the screams stopped with a final shriek.

The next sense to reach him was touch, or, to be more specific, pain. Sharp, intense pain, all over his body. Instinctually, he began a physical checklist to assess his condition. He could breathe, but not without difficulty. His limbs were sound except for his left arm, which he couldn’t feel. Probably broken, he thought. If the pain was any indicator, purplish black bruises would blossom upon his form, from head to toe.

Taste and smell were lost to him. He couldn’t breathe through his nose at all. He discovered that he was lying face down in a pool of some sticky fluid. Blood. Most likely, his own.

He tried to trace his thoughts as to how he got here. Flashes of memory would come forward and then quickly retreat like elusive shadows. Finally, his mind grabbed hold of something. An attack. His ship was attacked. By whom? He went farther back in time. A vacation. His retirement from the Bretonia Police. He remembered he wanted no fanfare, no parties, no award ceremonies. He just left. He boarded the first Luxury Liner out of New London and made his way to Planet Caracao. On the way there something happened. Gunfire, alarms, panic and death. They were boarded. Explosions were everywhere. He made his way to the bridge, when a bulkhead collapsed. He struggled to recall more, but failed.

Footsteps approached. Panic began to surface as his senses sharpened. The footsteps stopped and he could hear their voices behind him.

“Is he dead?” A woman’s voice, calm and serene.

A man answered. “No. He is still alive.”

“That’s a relief,” she exclaimed. “Grab some men and remove that bulkhead, we need to get him off this ship before it blows.”

Immediately, several pairs of footsteps rushed over to him, and with a heave, the bulkhead was lifted. With the steel beam off his back, Rex began to gasp for air. Frantic struggles to get as much oxygen in his lungs, left him with almost none. He began to hyperventilate. Panic transformed into a full-blown anxiety attack, leaving him in danger of asphyxiation.
A soft hand touched his back. “It’s alright,” the woman said, reassuringly. “Take slow deep breaths and try to relax. You are going to make it.”

The woman’s voice brought comfort to Rex and he immediately slowed his breathing. Long, slow breaths allowed him to fight down the panic that his injuries and lack of air brought on. He wondered who these people were. Were they his attackers? If they were, why were they rescuing him? He tried to turn over on his back and groaned. His broken left arm raged at him as it was forced to move with him. He managed only to turn his head.

At last, his sense of sight came to him as he opened his eyes and beheld the man and woman. They knelt there beside him, concern on their faces. The woman looked young, barely an adult. Her eyes, however, bespoke a wisdom that was beyond her years. The man was much older, a soldier of some rank. Despite his commanding presence, he appeared to defer all authority to the young woman.

A distant explosion on the ship was heard.

Commands were issued and men in military uniforms began preparing to leave the ship. Two of them approached carrying a stretcher. One of the men injected something into his arm and almost immediately his pain lessened. The woman appeared at his side as the men picked him up. She smiled at him. Her eyes told him that everything was alright now. He was safe. Reassured, he let the medicine have its way with him and he fell asleep.

RE: Rex Easly--The Wilde Side - Garrett Jax - 01-19-2014

Chapter Two

Rex awakened to find himself alone in a strange bed, his broken arm, immobilized. His eyes quickly adjusted to the dim lighting of the room. The window on the wall told him he was still in space, recovering in what appeared to be the medical facilities of a floating station. He no longer hurt. The drip bag hanging at his side was obviously doing its job. Nothing in the medical bay revealed where he was, who these people were or what their intentions might be.

The sound of doors opening drew his attention forward. The woman from the attack was there at the threshold. She wore that same comforting smile as she approached.

She placed her hand on his forehead. “So, how are you feeling today, Mister Easly?

Her touch was so soothing. “Much better, thanks to you.”

Her eyes brightened considerably. “Good to hear.” She placed a chair by his bed. “Are you feeling up to a conversation?”

Rex regarded her carefully. He was in his mid-forties and he would have bet his whole pension she was not even half that. Yet somehow, her demeanor placed her years beyond even him. Whatever her age, no one could deny she was a beautiful creature. It didn’t matter how attractive she was, however, she had to answer for her crimes.

He sat up in his bed, eyes glaring. “A conversation?” he asked. “Yes. I think a conversation would be quite acceptable given the circumstances.”

“You are angry,” she said. “That is understandable.” She placed her hand on his chest.

Her touch immediately calmed him. Why he wasn’t raging at her right now, he couldn’t answer. The liner he boarded was now floating in space as a metallic husk. The passengers, most likely killed or captured. And here he was, trying to recover from his injuries. Of course he was angry. Yet, there was something about this woman that overcame his rage, calmed him and brought about peace of mind.

“Why did you attack us?” he asked.

“That is a fair question,” she replied. “It deserves a fair answer, however you will not like what you hear.”

He grunted. “Of that, I’m sure.”

His sarcasm flowed right past her. Her eyes appeared to search inward for the right words. After a few brief moments, her face became expressionless and she began to speak. “We came upon your ship and demanded the Captain to release you to us. He refused and attacked us. We fired back, boarded the vessel and took you. Fortunately, you were not seriously harmed in the attack.”

“What about all the people on that ship?” he demanded. The horrors of the event washed over him. “How could you just kill them? My God! The lady on the bridge...you killed her?”

Concerned etched the woman’s face. “The lady was near death, suffering. There was nothing we could do for her. We acted mercifully.”

“Mercifully?” Rex laughed.

“We did not wish to harm your people or your ship,” she said. They fired upon us first, we defended ourselves. We only brought harm to those who brought it to us.”

“Who are you?”

The woman stood up and smiled. “My name is Lorelei.” She moved her hand to his shoulder and squeezed softly. “Who are we? Well, recover from your injuries and we will speak later.”
With that, she walked out of the medical bay.

Chapter Three

Days passed, and Rex saw no sight of Lorelei. Of course, his access to the base was restricted to the medical facilities with guards placed outside the door to assure he remain there.
Every morning, a physical therapist would come to help strengthen his arm. His recovery was remarkable. What normally took weeks or months, he was accomplishing in days. He could actually move his left arm now, his bruises had faded and he was walking without pain. He still didn’t know what they wanted from him, but he had to admit they were caring for his physical needs quite well. This was the best he felt in years.

He couldn’t escape the feeling however, that they were ‘fattening him up’ in order to slaughter him later. Lorelei claimed that they needed him for something, but she didn’t say what they needed him for. As the days passed, he found that he wanted to believe her story of self-defense. The more he thought it out, the more plausible her explanation seemed. But what use could they possibly have for an old retired constable? Whatever it was, he hoped he would discover it soon, because anything was better than being stuffed in a room bored out of his mind. This was not what he envisioned for his early retirement.

After the sixth day passed, Lorelei finally came to visit. Rex tried not to appear excited as she glided into the facility
She approached him and inspected his left arm. “Well, this is looking much better, Mr. Easly. How are you feeling?”

Rex tried not to blush at her touch. “Um…remarkably well. Please, call me Rex.”

She smiled at his response. “Ok, Rex.”

She examined him carefully, head to toe. This time, he did blush. How was she able to affect him in such a strong way? He briefly entertained the thought of holding her in his arms, but dismissed it immediately. He found it difficult to resist her.

After her inspection of him, she offered him a chair and reached for one herself. He sat down, expectantly, waiting for whatever words she would offer him, knowing in his heart that they would alter his life forever. His work as Deputy Commissioner of the Bretonia Police Authority was filled with more struggles than rewards. It aged him prematurely, drove him to heavy drinking and eventually, an early retirement. However, here was an opportunity at a new life.

She reached across and took both of his hands in hers. “It appears you are now ready to hear what I have to say to you, Rex Easly.”

His head began to swim. Good Lord, what was she doing to him? It was as if he were a young boy again with pent up emotions and unrestrained tension. His attraction to her was irrational. He sat up a little straighter, determined to be strong and swallowed down his boyish hormones.

With effort he finally spoke. “I am ready. Who are you people and where am I?”

Her eyes betrayed a hint of disappointment. “Before I answer that, allow me to tell you what we know of you. Twenty years ago, you volunteered to undergo an experimental procedure at Sunderland Research Facility in Newcastle.”

Rex Easly stood up immediately, eyes blazing with anger. “How could you possibly have known that?” He jerked his hands away. “That was kept under the strictest of confidence. Only a handful of people have knowledge of those events.”

“We make it our business to know,” she said, wryly. “We also know what those experimental procedures entailed. We know the results were promising, were they not?”

Rex glared at her, suspiciously. “Listen to me, young lady. You are treading on dangerous ground here. I’m not speaking a word. If my government knew that you had even a hint of knowledge of those experiments, you’d disappear quite conveniently.”

Lorelei laughed. She didn’t appear frightened in the least. “We also know that shortly after your stay there, the project was sabotaged and discontinued.”

Rex was dumbfounded. He remembered those events clearly. Nomad encounters and infestations were at a record high. A secret branch of the Bretonian government decided to sponsor an esteemed nomad researcher, Dr. Skelter, on the hopes of developing a neural inhibitor preventing nomadic control of humans. It was very promising research and Rex volunteered to undergo treatments in order to assure himself a high position in the police force. Any government would value those who could withstand infestation. As a result of those successful treatments, he quickly rose in the ranks of the BPA and eventually became the Deputy Commissioner, the highest position. Unfortunately, the research was destroyed and Dr. Skelter was murdered shortly after he left Sunderland. Nobody was capable of picking up and continuing what Skelter had started, so the project was abandoned. Nevertheless, what did any of this have to do with him now?

A thought occurred to him. “So, you want to pick up and continue that project?” He looked skeptical. “If so, I have to tell you, I’m going to be of little help.”

Lorelei laughed scornfully. “No, we do not wish to continue this project. Quite the opposite, in fact.”

Rex appeared confused. “Opposite? I guess I don’t follow you?”

Lorelei stood up. She seemed taller, more imposing than before. “We now know that Sunderland Research Facility holds a nomad researcher who apprenticed under the former scientist of twenty years ago. He is endeavoring to continue the same research.”

Rex failed to see the problem. “Well, if what you say is true, then that’s great.”

Lorelei approached. She pulled his hand to hers and spoke softly. “No Rex. That is not great. That research must be stopped at all costs.”

“But why?”

For the first time since he met her, Lorelei appeared tentative. “Rex,” she said. “Do you remember the experiments that were performed on you?”

“No,” he replied. “We were unconscious during much of it. They would constantly ask how we felt and take note of our every move.”

“There was a specific reason for that.”

“What reason?”

Her eyes narrowed. “It’s because they introduced in you a nomad incubus.”

“Like hell, they did.” He tried to pull away, repulsed at the thought.

She pulled his hand tighter. Her grip was strong. “Listen carefully, Rex. How else were they going to test your resolve against nomad influence? The only way was to implant a nomad seed within you.”

Rex was sickened. He could barely stand up at hearing her words. “What are you saying, Lorelei?”

“I’m telling you, you are one of us.”

“I don’t even know who you are.”

Lorelei smiled. Her eyes emitted a purple glow. “We are the Wilde.”

Chapter Four

Rex felt dead inside. Lorelei’s words grasped hold of him and left him struggling to maintain the identity of who he was. This can’t be happening to me, he thought. I am not infested. However, as she stood there holding his hands, staring at him with those purple eyes, he knew she was speaking the truth.

He thought back to the time his ship got attacked. That steel girder landed right on top of him, yet he survived. His wounds were grievous, yet his recovery was inhuman. Lastly, he began to notice that every time Lorelei stood near him, he lost considerable control of his emotions, especially when she made physical contact with him. What other conclusion was there, other than the fact that he was infested with a nomad?

The only reason that he maintained any control over himself, was the experimental neural inhibitor. However, that control appeared to be diminishing. Prolonged exposure to the Wilde was weakening the inhibitor’s ability to function. Either that, or the nomad incubus inside him was finding a way to bypass its effectiveness. Probably both were the case. He felt like a doctor just told him he had terminal cancer and only a week to live. He smiled sardonically at the similarity of that comparison. Actually, he felt worse. At least with cancer, there would be an end to the suffering.

Lorelei maintained her strong grip on his hands. Her eyes, burning purple, seemed to bore right through him, searching for something. After several seconds, she smiled.
“There it is,” she said. “I’ve made contact. Thankfully, the nomad seed still lives.”

Rex fought the nausea that rose up inside him. Soon, anger replaced fear. They would have to kill him before he allowed the incubus to fully control him.

Lorelei frowned. “You have not been a very good host to our kind, Rex.” Anger flashed in her eyes as she spoke.

“Good,” he snapped. “I intend on being a poor host as long as that thing lives in me.”

“That thing is the only reason you still live.”
Rex grimaced. “I don’t want to live anymore.” The suicidal feelings became more profound when voiced aloud. “Not if I am a Wilde.”

A smirk found the corners of Lorelei’s mouth. “That’s what all you humans say. Your neural inhibitor is weakening, soon it will fail completely. When it does, you will serve us and assist us in our goals to rid ourselves of the human infestation.”

Panic followed her words, making it difficult to concentrate. There had to be a way out of this. Think. His neural inhibitor was indeed weakening. He could feel himself losing control, bits at a time. Was there a way to strengthen the neural device implanted inside him somehow? The only possibility was to go back to Sunderland and see if that research scientist could help him. The same scientist the Wilde wanted stopped. This was going to be tricky. Maybe if he appeared to capitulate a little it might give him some space to work out a plan.

He tried to look defeated. “What exactly do you want from me?”

She eyed him skeptically. “We sense deception in you, human, but it matters not. You will assist us when the time comes. For now, we head to Sunderland where you will put an end to the research of Dr. Skelter and his assistant.”

“And if I refuse?”

“It will take days to reach Sunderland from here,” she said. “That’s a long time to hold out against the influence of a Nomad incubus, inhibitor or not. We look forward to watching you struggle and then ultimately fall under its control. We predict by the time we reach the facility, you will belong to us.”

Challenge accepted, Rex thought.

Chapter Five

Rex released a heavy sigh when Lorelei left. Once he realized who she was and what she was doing, it took all his mental energy to resist her. He harbored no delusions he could withstand the nomad incubus inside him for long. He needed to find some way to suppress or delay the incubus until he reached Dr. Skelter’s assistant.

As promised, they set course for Sunderland aboard a renovated Luxury Liner. Their crew compliment was small. Aside from himself, the liner carried Lorelei, a flight crew and a dozen security personnel. They were all nomad infected.

Rex was given free reign aboard the ship. Apparently, these Wilde either didn’t fear him, or assumed the incubus held enough influence over him to prevent him from being a threat. Whatever the case, he was relieved to have a little freedom to develop a plan. He reflected on his conversation with Lorelei. What did she mean by saying he was a bad host? It probably wasn’t the inhibitor itself, but something more specific to what he was doing. Something which created problems for the incubus.

A thought occurred to him. Alcohol. To be specific, his rather heavy drinking of alcohol. He chuckled to himself when he thought about what strong alcohol might do to a blue jelly. The lack of control from being drunk was evident on his part, but for the nomad, it might be the same, or worse. He drank heavily while acting as Deputy Commissioner of the Bretonia Police. It might have inadvertently suppressed the efforts of the nomad to control him.

He realized he hadn’t had a drink in a long time, not since he chose to retire. Without the stress of the job, he found he had no need for the relief alcohol provided. Maybe it was time to change that. He headed toward the mess hall, to see what kind of drink might be available.

The mess hall was abandoned. The Wilde, he discovered, took care of their bodily needs in a perfunctory way, doing only what was necessary in order to assure their host bodies remained fit. Social interaction was nonexistent, at least from what he could discern. They had communication amongst themselves, verbal and mental, however chit chat and common niceties were forsaken. They discarded everything that was unique to humanity.

A quick search around the mess hall revealed nothing of use. These Wilde had no appreciation for the finer things, such as a short glass of whiskey and soda after a hard day’s work. Frustrated, he headed back to his room. At the door of the mess, he noticed a hand sanitizer dispenser hanging on the wall near the threshold. It seemed ironic to him how meticulously these Wilde took care of the their human hosts, when their goals involved the eradication of humans from Sirius.

He paused. Hand sanitizer sometimes has alcohol in it. He pushed the button to dispense some disinfectant upon his hands and took a short sniff. He was in luck. There was a strong alcohol smell. With a little effort, he could create a potent drink of ethyl alcohol to fight the nomadic influence on his mind. He dispensed enough to fill both hands and quickly returned to his quarters.

Upon arriving, he found Lorelei sitting at his desk awaiting him. Quickly, he folded his hands together to rub away the sanitizer.

She appeared not to notice. “It’s time to debrief you on your mission, human.” She no longer referred to him by his first name anymore. Apparently, that ship had sailed when he was able to resist her charms. She gestured for him to sit on his bed and handed him an electronic tablet.

Rex looked the tablet over briefly. It contained schematics of the Sunderland facility, a picture of Dr. Skelter’s assistant, Geoff Larkin as well as instructions on how to handle an incendiary device of some nature. He put the tablet down. “So how exactly do you expect to reach Sunderland?” he asked. “That facility is highly guarded. I sincerely doubt even the Wilde could breach its defenses.”

Lorelei smirked. “You are correct, human. We cannot. You however, can.”

Rex understood now why he specifically was needed by the Wilde. He was one of only a handful of people who could enter Sunderland uncontested. Not only because of his capacity as Deputy Commissioner, but more importantly, because he was a prototype of Dr. Skelter’s research. This Dr. Larkin would not resist the opportunity to see one of his predecessor’s test patients. He continued rubbing his hands and now his arms. There was too much sanitizer to absorb.

The motion quickly grabbed Lorelei’s attention. “What is wrong with you human?” she asked. “Are you ill?”

Rex panicked. “Nothing, I’m fine.” Instinctively, he pulled his hands away.

Lorelei grabbed his arms. Her grip slipped away easily. “What is this substance?”

Rex had a thought. “I don’t know what it is, Lorelei,” he lied. “Whatever it is, it smells very good.”

Lorelei brought his hands up to her face and sniffed deeply. Her nose wrinkled in disgust and she pulled away. “Hand sanitizer?” she asked.

Rex pressed his advantage over the confused Wilde. He quickly pressed his hands over her mouth and forced her to inhale more of the alcoholic fumes. He didn’t know what effect this might have, but she possessed a small frame so he hoped whatever might happen, would happen quickly. Sure enough, after a few minutes her eyes rolled around wildly and she relaxed.

He let go of her mouth and waited to see her reaction.

She tried to focus her eyes on him, blinking several times to shake away the fog. “Whatcha doooing, human,” she slurred. A goofy smile found the corner of her mouth.

Rex struggled not to laugh. He got her drunk, that’s for certain. Now, what to do with her? “You’re going to take me to an escape pod and get me out of here.”

“Silly hooman,” she stammered. “We are the Wi…the Wi…Who are we again?” She tried to stand up, and fell backwards into the chair.

He rushed forward to grab her before she crashed to the floor. So much for escape. She couldn’t even walk in her condition. He held her in his arms and carried her to his bed. He laid her down gently. What was he going to do? She was going to sober up and probably kill him. Maybe he could kill her first. She was in no capacity to resist.

He grabbed a pillow to put over her face.

She moaned softly, eyes still rolling around carelessly. “Help me,” she cried. Her voice no longer was the nomad, but the human. “Rex, help me.”

Rex quickly put away the pillow. “Lorelei?” he asked. “Who am I speaking to, the nomad or the human?”

She tried to sit up. Rex put the pillow behind her back to support her.

“It’s me, Lorelei,” she whispered. “How did you reach me?”

Rex cleared his throat. “Um, I got you drunk.”

“That explains why I feel like I’m spinning around,” she said. Her brow furrowed. “Rex, I don’t have much time. This nomad’s grip on me is strong. You must listen to me.”

It was strange to see Lorelei in a weakened condition. For the first time, she appeared vulnerable. It pained him to see the woman suffering. “I’m listening.”

“I hear their thoughts,” she said. She struggled to speak under the influence of alcohol. “They fear you.”

Rex was taken aback. “They fear me?”

“Shhhh,” she said. Her finger mashed her lips tightly as she shushed him. “Listen. Dr. Larkin has discovered a way to rid us of this…this thing that’s inside us.”

Rex’s hopes were raised. “That’s wonderful,” he exclaimed, quietly. “Do you know how I can reach him without the nomad’s knowledge?”

Lorelei shrugged. “I don’t know how, but you must find a way.”

Rex’s shoulders sagged. “Is there anything you can tell me that can help me?”

“The only thing I can say is that when the nomad exerts itself, it needs to rest,” she said. She appeared to be struggling anew. “In those moments, I return, but only briefly.”

Rex watched her twist and writhe about. “Are you okay?” he asked. The alcohol shouldn’t be having this effect on her.

She screamed. “It’s coming back. Rex help me, please.” Her back arched up. “Leave me alone!”

Rex grabbed her shoulders to hold her still. “I’ll help you, Lorelei. Somehow, I’ll help you.”

Just as suddenly, she became motionless. Her eyes closed momentarily and then reopened. When they opened, Rex knew it was the nomad speaking.

“Why am I lying in your bed, human?” she asked, calmly.

Rex wondered if she remembered anything. “You passed out.” He didn’t want to volunteer any information.

Lorelei appeared unconcerned. She stood up and regained her arrogant demeanor. “It happens sometimes with us. It is of no concern.” Her gaze found the tablet, now lying on the floor. “Study the mission, human. We will test your knowledge tomorrow.”

With that she walked out the door.

Chapter Six

Rex woke up the next morning, groggy and restless. He spent half the night pouring over the mission, trying to discover some opportunity to be alone with Skelter’s assistant, Dr. Larkin. Sadly, if he wanted a chance to meet with Larkin, he was going to have to manufacture one.

He tried to rub a gnawing headache away. Lack of sleep, added with stress, amounted to a disturbing loss of mental control over the nomad infestation inside him. He could almost feel the neural inhibitor failing within him, like a faltering battery. Soon, all resistance would fail, and he would become yet another infested human, subservient to the Nomad’s will.

Suddenly, his arm began to move on its own. His heart raced in panic as he observed his limb waving about experimentally by the incubus. Adrenaline chased away his tiredness and cleared his mind. He focused intently upon his arm, forcing his will upon it. Gradually, the motioning of his arm ceased, and he could move it freely on his own again. He realized that there was little time left for him.

Lorelei opened the door to his quarters. Her timing could not have been worse. A small smirk lay at the corner of her mouth as she seated herself near him. She knew what happened. The incubus was communicating with her. He wondered if the incubus could read his thoughts and then convey them to Lorelei. If that were the case, any plans he might make would be quickly discovered and undone by the Wilde. He decided to guard his thoughts carefully, keep the Wilde guessing and take advantage of any opportunities that might arise.

Lorelei took the mission tablet in hand. “You have familiarized yourself with your assignment.” It wasn’t a question. She either knew of the hours he spent pouring through it, or assumed that doing so was his best course of action at this point. “We will be nearing Newcastle System shortly. Soon, you will be needed on the bridge to communicate with Bretonian Armed Forces on Battleship Grimsby.”

Rex was stunned. “I thought you said it was going to take days to reach Sunderland,” he said. “A full day has barely passed by.”

“We lied,” she said, her eyes glowing triumphantly. “Do you not know anything about the Wilde, human? We deceive and manipulate. We hide in shadows and influence events to our advantage. We are the secretive arm of the Nomads, utilized by them to create chaos among the human infestation.

In all his years as Deputy Commissioner, he never encountered a Wilde. Nomads were rarely observed in Bretonia, with only whispers of them being mentioned among visiting traders traveling the deep recesses of space. To discover that these Wilde were based not more than a couple days away brought a chill down his back. It’s a good thing the BAF stationed Grimsby nearby after all.

Rex remembered the large capital ship parked nearby Sunderland. The BAF went to great pains to make sure any research performed there didn’t leave the facility without a couple dozen battleship turrets pointed at it. In order to get into Sunderland he was going to have to do some sweet talking. He tried to remember the commanding officer stationed there. It would be considerably easier to break in if he knew who was in charge. As detailed as the Wilde were in their mission briefing, they were notably quiet as to this part of the mission. Of course, he was quickly learning not to underestimate these infested humans. They were masters at deception.

Rex rubbed his hands nervously. “What am I supposed to tell the BAF then?” he asked. “They are not just going to let me waltz right into Sunderland without an air tight reason.”

“You are clever human,” she replied. She placed her arm on his shoulder. “I’ve no doubt you will find a way.”

Rex cringed at her touch. He could almost feel the incubus inside him react, infecting more and more of his physical body. With great effort he pulled away from Lorelei. The effects were immediate. The malevolent influence of the incubus receded. The neural inhibitor could fight off the incubus, but not both of them at once. It was a good thing they were near Sunderland. Another day longer would find his resistance overwhelmed and he would become a Wilde in every sense of the word.

Lorelei approached closer, purple eyes glowing and arm outstretched, apparently eager to rid the incubus of any resistance. Suddenly, she stopped, her eyes ceased to glow.

“We’re there,” she said. Disappointment flashed across her face. “Come with me to the bridge, now.”

Rex breathed a heavy sigh of relief. How much time was there remaining for him? Hours? Minutes? He had to get to Dr. Larkin soon and hope that his research was advanced enough to help him. He forced himself to keep his mind clear in case they were capable of hearing his thoughts.

He followed Lorelei out the door of his quarters and quickly made his way to the bridge. Monitors showed a small outline of the Grimsby ahead with a slightly bigger silhouette of Sunderland.

The pilot spoke up. “We are just outside scanner range. Decloaking…”

That’s why they were able to get here so fast, Rex thought. They possess a long lasting cloak. With that technology, they could come and go as they pleased without hindrance. He watched the monitor and observed the purplish glow that emanated from the ship as it became visible. Even this liner felt like it had a nomadic infestation.

Lorelei approached the pilot. “Proceed toward Sunderland, with caution, Captain.” She faced Rex and pointed to a console. “Be seated, human. You will communicate with Grimsby and obtain access to the facility.”

Rex did as instructed. So far, their goals were the same. He donned a headset and microphone and opened up communications with the Battleship. “Battleship Grimsby, this is Rex Easly, former Deputy Commissioner of the Bretonia Police Authority, requesting docking clearance on Sunderland. Please respond.”

A few seconds of silence, and then the comms lit up. “Luxury Liner Delta 15-1, please halt your vessel and input your clearance codes.” A couple Templar fighters undocked from the Grimsby and headed their way.

Rex panicked. Any clearance codes he might have possessed were outdated. Submitting outdated codes would be worse than having no codes at all. He laughed sardonically. This was going about as well as expected. He was going to have to find someone who knew him personally.

“I don’t have any clearance codes young man,” Rex admitted. “I’m here for personal reasons.”

Silence on the other end. The two Templars reached their vessel, taking attack positions in front and behind. Rex looked over at a glaring Lorelei. If those Templars didn’t finish him, Lorelei definitely would.

Finally, the voice on the comms spoke. “I’m sorry sir. Without proper clearance codes, I cannot authorize you to dock.”

Rex remain undaunted. “Listen son, who is your Commanding officer? Let me speak to him.”

Long silenced followed. Finally, an older voice was heard across the comm. “This is Admiral Breckinworth. Rex, is that you?”

Rex smiled. “James. Good to hear from you, mate. Didn’t expect to find you way out here in Newcastle.” James Breckinworth was an old military acquaintance from quite a ways back. Except for a few military social functions, they had little to do with each other. At least this was someone he knew.

Breckinworth could be heard laughing. “Yeah well, you know how it goes. You speak your mind one to many times, and Command finds a nice quiet place to put you.” His voice took a serious tone. “I thought you retired.”

“I did,” Rex replied. “I’m having quite the ‘wild’ time of it here in retirement.” He tried not to look at Lorelei, but he could feel the anger emanating from her. Probably best not to do that again, he thought.

“Glad to hear it, Rex.” The Admiral’s tone went formal. “Why are you visiting us today?”

Rex swallowed hard. “Is this channel secure, Admiral?”

A couple seconds later. “Now it is,” said Breckinworth. What’s up?”

“Are you familiar with ‘Operation Resistance’ here at Sunderland?” Rex asked. “It was a highly classified program about fifteen years ago. It was headed by a Doctor Skelter.”

The silence on the other end was palpable. Finally, the Admiral spoke. “Rex, how could you have known that? Only a few higher ups in the Fleet have any knowledge of that operation.”

“James, I was one of the candidates.”

“Dear God,” Breckinworth exclaimed. “I never knew that.”

Rex continued. “I’m having…complications with the neural inhibitor and I need to speak with anyone in that facility who might have knowledge of Doctor Skelter’s research.”

The Admiral sounded skeptical. “What kind of complications?”

“Oh, nothing major,” Rex lied. “Just some intense headaches from time to time.”

“Look Rex,” Breckinworth said. “I can’t have you waltzing around Sunderland without clearance from BAF Command. I’m sorry. My hands are tied here.”

Rex’s shoulders sagged. “I can get the codes, but it’s going to take some time. These headaches are horrible.” Rex’s mind raced to find some way to reason with the Admiral. “Is there anyone there who can even help me? I don’t want to have to go through all the trouble of getting the codes only to find there is no help for me there.”

“Well,” Breckinworth said. “There is a Doctor working on Sunderland by the name of Larkin. Let me contact him on the comms and see if he can help you.”

“Thanks, James. Much appreciated.”

Several minutes passed. Lorelei approached with an approving look.

“You are doing well, human,” she said. “We might just live long enough for you to be fully Wilde after all.”

Rex grimaced. “Well, we are not in Sunderland yet.” Lorelei was getting too close. He couldn’t get into Sunderland if he was fighting the incubus at the same time.

Finally, the comms came back to life. “Rex, you still there, boy?” Breckinworth asked.

“Yes sir.”

“Today is your lucky day,” the Admiral continued. “It appears the good Doctor wishes to see you and convinced BAF Command that it was essential to his research that he do so. You’re cleared to dock.”

Rex exhaled. One obstacle overcome. He thanked the Admiral and ended the transmission. He expected to see a happy crew, however the Wilde around him didn’t appear to exhibit any signs of emotion, happy or sad. They all performed their various tasks without excitement, as if they were never in any danger. Lorelei commanded the pilot to begin docking procedures at Sunderland and the race to find the good doctor was on.

Chapter Seven

The liner sailed toward Sunderland as the automated systems kicked in and guided it toward one of the available docking bays. Looming in the backdrop, lie the ruins of an ancient civilization. The normally stoic Wilde, all stopped and stared at the foreboding structure, with what appeared to be silent reverence. This ancient space city offered glimpses into a time when beings existed that were far more knowledgeable and powerful than them. That thought sent shivers racing down Rex’s spine. If such a wise and powerful race could simply disappear into obscurity, what hope was there for humanity?

With a final jolt, the liner finished docking onto Sunderland. At once, Lorelei approached Rex, placed her hand on his shoulder, and stared at him silently.

Immediately, the incubus inside him responded. An inner voice, not his own, entered his mind and commanded him to depart with Lorelei. This foreign being imposed it’s will upon him with a force much stronger than before. Rex could feel his legs attempt to comply. With as much effort as he could muster, he tried to focus his willpower to suppress the incubus’ control. However, with Lorelei’s influence, it was too much to overcome and control over his own body was superseded. To Rex’s great dismay, his legs stood up and he walked off the bridge with Lorelei.

Lorelei maintained physical contact with Rex as they disembarked from the vessel. The incubus reacted accordingly, gaining more and more influence over its host. The only control Rex had left, were his own thoughts. Soon, even that would be lost.

Behind Lorelei, were two security personnel, carrying cases designed to look like luggage. The incendiary devices, of course. If an opportunity to get away from these Wilde didn’t occur soon, Sunderland would be destroyed as well as his hopes of ridding himself of this infestation.

They crossed the catwalk across the hangar bay and were met on the other side by a short hunched man flanked by several BAF officers behind him. The man rubbed his hands together nervously as they approached.

“Mr. Easly, I assume?” he asked, with a slight stutter. He stopped rubbing his hands together to briefly adjust his thin framed glasses.

Rex hoped he stilled owned control over his voice. He did. “Yes. And you are Doctor Larkin?”

The doctor almost jumped in excitement. “Yes, yes I am. So good to see you boy. So good.” He moved closer and with a concerned expression, he looked Rex directly in the eye. “Tell me, how do you feel?”

Before Rex could respond, Lorelei stepped forward.

“All in good time doctor,” she said. “Perhaps you could direct us to your lab, where we can be more comfortable?”

The doctor quickly looked over the group. He focused back onto Rex. “Of course, of course.” He began rubbing his hands together again. “How rude of me. You must forgive my excitement. I never thought I would be able to examine a former patient of Doctor Skelter. This will help my research considerably.”

One of the BAF officers spoke. “Doctor Larkin,” he said. “Command has only authorized Former Deputy Commissioner Rex Easly to board Sunderland. These others must remain with their ship.”

Rex could have hugged that officer. Maybe there was a chance here.

Lorelei grabbed Rex’s arm. “You are not going to let me stay with my husband, Officer?”

The incubus exerted its influence. Rex tried to pull away from Lorelei, but failed. He tried to speak out, but only screamed. He was losing himself. He looked up at Larkin with pleading eyes, unable to vocalize his dilemma.

“This man’s in pain,” the doctor yelled. He pointed to a couple officers. “You, get him to my lab, now.” He looked at Lorelei. “His wife can come. Just have her wait outside.”

Instantly, the officers sprang into action. Two officers half carried, half walked Rex to the lab, with Lorelei in tow. The remaining officers, guns ready, made sure the two security men and their cases returned to the liner.

Rex experienced a brief respite from the incubus. The officers at his side prevented Lorelei from any physical contact. Already, the weakening neural inhibitor was providing him a slight measure of control. If the doctor didn’t help him soon, however, he was doomed to be a Wilde for the rest of his life.

By the time they reached the lab, Rex could finally walk on his own again. Doctor Larkin instructed the officers to wait with Lorelei outside the lab as both he and Rex went inside. Rex caught a glimpse of a none-to-happy Lorelei as the lab doors whisked shut.

Larkin pulled a small tray forward and gestured to Rex to sit on the medical bed. From the tray, he grabbed an ophthalmoscope and examined Rex’s eyes. “Ok, son,” he asked, casually. “You want to tell me why you brought a ship load of infected humans on board my facility?”

If Larkin appeared disconcerted by the fact that Wilde were at his door, he gave no indication. The casual manner of his question caught Rex off-guard and rendered him speechless.

The doctor observed Rex’s confusion. “Oh, don’t act so surprised, Mr. Easly,” he said. “If I was concerned about attacks from infested humans, I wouldn’t have continued Dr. Skelter’s research. Do not worry yourself, we are quite safe here.”

Rex was unconvinced. “They have a couple bombs with them Doctor. They are going to blow this whole place up.”

“Relax,” Larkin said. He grabbed another instrument and placed it upon Rex’s chest. “I’m more concerned about you right now. It appears your neural inhibitor is failing.”

“It is,” Rex cried out. “I don’t know how much longer I can withstand this incubus.”

Rex couldn’t understand how Larkin could be so calm. A ship load of Wilde lay parked at their door, one of which waited outside the lab and that didn’t take into consideration the fact he could lose total control at any moment and become fully Wilde himself. There should be some serious panicking going on here.

Larkin put away his instruments and grabbed a syringe and filled it with a small bottle. “This will help take care of your headaches, as well as give your inhibitor a momentary boost, so you don’t suddenly become something…unexpected.” He injected the fluid into the back of Rex’s neck.

Rex accepted the injection gratefully. “Thank you, Doctor.”

“Not at all. Not at all,” Larkin said, dismissively. “I’m going to leave for a few minutes and let the nanobots I injected you with do their job. When I come back, I’ll return with something that should help you out permanently.”

Rex let out a cry of joy as waves of relief washed over him. This was more than he could have possibly allowed himself to believe. He wept openly as the doctor left. In just a little while longer, the incubus would be gone forever. He thought about Lorelei. Maybe the doctor could help her too. He determined to ask him when he came back. He remembered the helpless girl begging for help. If there was any possibility to save her, he would.

Suddenly, his arms and legs began moving on their own again. The incubus was feeling stronger than ever. No. This wasn’t supposed to be happening. He began to walk around the room with absolutely no control over his body. This was like how it was when Lorelei maintained physical contact with him. No, it was worse. What did the Doctor do to him? The incubus moved him back and forth across the lab, eventually standing him at attention at the foot of the bed. There was nothing Rex could do to stop himself.

Any feelings of relief fled from him and Rex found himself in a near panicked state. Doctor Larkin returned, smiling. In his hands he carried a case the size a first aid kit, with a folder sitting atop it.

Rex tried to cry out to the doctor for help, but couldn’t. Doctor Larkin sat his items upon the bed and looked him over.

“I have to say, Mr. Easly,” he said. “That neural inhibitor was an ingenious piece of work. How are you feeling now?”

Rex tried to respond, but couldn’t.

Larkin smiled. “Good. Those nanobytes are working fast. Soon that neural inhibitor will be totally deconstructed.”

Confusion crossed Rex’s face.

The doctor caught it. “Oh, you haven’t caught on yet, have you?” He approached Rex and covered his mouth. In a whispered voice, he said, “Shhh. Don’t tell anyone. I’m working with the Wilde.”

Anger replaced confusion. He was betrayed. All hope was lost for saving his identity, his humanity.

“Don’t look at me with those judgmental eyes, Mr. Easly,” said Larkin. “I gave up on humanity a long time ago. Humans have a long history of violence and bloodshed. They take without giving. They infested Sirius like a plague. They kill Nomads for trying to reclaim their home. Tell me, Mr. Easly, does that sound right to you? They didn’t have to infest me to convince me to help them.”

Rex couldn’t argue with the doctor. Not vocally, anyways. The nanobots were making quick work of the inhibitor. Soon, his mind would be overtaken. He looked at the case the doctor brought in, wondering what was in it.

Larkin followed his eyes. “Do you want to know what’s in this case?” he asked. “Hmmm. Well, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to tell you now.”

Larkin opened the case and pulled out a small blue capsule. “This is the cure for nomad infestation,” he exclaimed. He held it up for Rex to see. “A poison pill, as it were, for the nomad incubus. This little bargaining chip guarantees my life. The Wilde would never kill me as long as I possessed this. Sadly, I could never uncover a way to take it with me from off this facility. The insufferable BAF are too thorough in their searches. However, being a former patient and needing the cure, you could.”

Rex could have laughed at the irony of his situation. Here was the cure for his nomad infestation, inches away from his face, and he was unable to reach out for it.

The doctor must have sensed the irony as well, for he laughed loudly. “Doctor Skelter was a brilliant scientist. Too brilliant, it seems. By infecting people with the nomads, he drew their attention. By the time he found the cure, the Wilde had all but destroyed his research. I really enjoyed working with Doctor Skelter. It was a shame I had to kill him.”

The doctor paused, as if to let his words sink in. He appeared to be enjoying himself immensely. With every word spoken, however, fresh rage boiled forth from Rex. The Doctor’s betrayal of humanity was complete.

“I remember when you arrived at our facility, Mr. Easly,” Larkin continued. “You were an overly ambitious pilot with delusions of becoming famous and powerful. It gave me great pleasure to implant that incubus inside you. My only wish was for you to have been awake when I did it, so I could see the look on your face.”

Rex’s face grew red with fury. He wanted to strangle the doctor with every ounce of strength remaining. His eyes focused on the Doctor’s neck. How frail it appeared. If only he could…suddenly, he broke loose. Rage improved his mental strength and the incubus’ control over him faltered. Both his hands found themselves around the neck of a stunned Doctor Larkin. Rage flowed from Rex as his hands tightened their grip. This man was despicable, worse than the Wilde even. He willfully chose to help the Nomads against humanity. Most humans that became infected had no choice.

Life abandoned the doctor much too soon to suit Rex. Still angry, he found the blue pill that dropped from Larkin’s lifeless hand. As he picked it up, there was Lorelei standing at the door, confusion on her face. Two lifeless Bretonian Naval officers lying behind her.

She looked at the doctor, lying on the floor, dead. “What did you do, human?” she demanded.

Without thinking, Rex lunged for Lorelei in a burst of speed. For a moment, the strength from the incubus poured through him, yet his rage, and what little remained of the neural inhibitor, left him control of his mind and body.

Before Lorelei could react, he was at her throat also. He didn’t know how much time was left remaining for him, but he was determined to use it as efficiently as possible. All he could think was to snap her pretty little neck with as much brute force as he could muster.

As his hands and arms wrapped around her for the killing blow, he saw her eyes change from the haughty arrogant expression of the Wilde, to the scared pleading expression of the human. Instantly, he let go of her, unwilling to take her life.

He stepped back. “Lorelei?” he asked. “Is that you?”

“You human fool!” she roared. She lunged for him, knocking him down and striking him with all her strength. Her eyes emanated a deep purple glow.

Rex tried to fight her off, but she pressed her advantage. Stars danced in his eyes as he received constant blows from the Wilde. With a desperate heave, he pushed her away. He knew he had scant time left. The physical and mental attacks were too much. The inhibitor was all but gone. Any rage he had, was spent. Time to give up.

Lorelei, sensing his defeat, laughed at him. “Finally, human, you will succumb to the Wilde,” she mocked. “Did you think that a Wilde could so easily lose control of its host? I remember you standing above me in your quarters, speaking to the human female. I allowed that. And when you were thoroughly deceived, I took her back. We know your thoughts, human, simple though they are. At every step, you managed to do our bidding despite your determination to do otherwise. Now, Skelter’s research will die and the humans will be powerless to stop us.”

Rex fell to the ground, twisting and writhing, fighting the incubus. His time was finally up. Lorelei had won. The Wilde were victorious. Worse yet, she was right. He had served them unwittingly every step of the way. He could feel her approach, reaching for him, to finally finish off the last remaining vestiges of resistance the inhibitor provided. Before she could grasp him, he realized he was still holding the blue capsule. In his rage, he completely forgot about it. With his last final act as a human, he broke the capsule and shoved it into Lorelei’s mouth. Instinctively, she swallowed.

Lorelei gasped in horror. “What have you done to me, human?” she cried. She dropped to her knees, gagging, trying to rid herself of Skelter’s cure. The nomadic incubus threw her into a frenzy, struggling to maintain its hold over the young woman. She twisted and rolled around the floor, screaming in agony.

After several minutes, her writhing began to cease. Rex lay on the floor, the incubus inside him, as wore out as he. He couldn’t move, he could barely speak and he waited for the incubus to have its way with him.

Finally, the woman stirred. She moaned in pain, bruises from her thrashing about becoming evident all over her arms and face. She turned over to face Rex and crawled slowly to where he lie.

“Rex,” she whispered. “You did it. You saved me, Rex. Thank you. Thank God for you.” She cried uncontrollably upon his chest.

He tried to put his arms around her, but failed. There was one last thing to do.

“Lorelei,” he said. “You have to kill me, quickly. I am becoming a Wilde.”

“No!” she screamed. “I cannot kill the man who saved my life.”

Rex sighed. He couldn’t demand what she couldn’t give.

“Then you need to run from me, now,” he warned.

Lorelei got up, reached for Rex’s arm and placed it around her shoulder.

“What are you doing, Lorelei?” Rex asked, alarmed. “I could turn at any moment.”

The little human female groaned with the effort, but managed to lift him up. “I’m taking you to your ship,” she said. “You are going to live and continue fighting, just as I did.”

By the time they arrived, the incubus was fully in control of Rex Easly. The little human female had rescued him and for that it chose to spare her life. The research of Doctor Skelter had finally ended, removing the threat the humans presented. As it boarded the ship, it gave one final look upon the human female, Lorelei. Somewhere, deep inside, a thought surfaced. A wish. It hoped it would have the chance to encounter the female human one more time.