Discovery Gaming Community
Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. (/showthread.php?tid=110984)

Pages: 1 2

Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-27-2014

Okay, so.

Fairly recently, my PC has started experiencing freezes. At first, I was convinced it was google chrome. My PC would lock up entirely (with no errors or blue screens, nothing like that) while I was using google chrome, often while zooming or closing a tab. I'd be forced to restart at that point. I swapped to firefox two days ago.

Discovery has also experienced issues, resulting in issues alt tabbing (Instead of a quick swap, it'd take a full 10 seconds of staying on a black screen before switching to my desktop), and also removing my mouse from my screen. I could still see it ingame, and it still technically existed on my desktop, but it was invisible. I tried swapping my resolution size at that point, seeing if it'd fix it. My screen turned black, and my PC froze, eventually giving a NO SIGNAL on my screen. (Note, the framerate was fine ingame, and my mouse didn't recover after closing FL)

At times, games like Warframe, Planetside 2, or even Warcraft 3 would experience severe framerate drops. As an example, I could sit on the login screen for Warframe, and generally average 140-200 frames per second. But when my computer is acting up, I'll get, at best, 20 FPS. It does not fix upon restarting the game, and I have to reboot for the issue to resolve. Alt tabbing, again, is affected, going slowly (but my mouse remains on screen this time.)

I have yet to experience the full on freezes the last two days after swapping to firefox, but I have had several, 2-5 seconds freezes.

Memory checks have given me no problems. A hard drive check has told me nothing. I've dusted, made sure everything is firmly plugged in, defragmented, everything. I've updated windows, Java, Flash, video card drivers. I've scanned for viruses, cleaned up my PC, scanned for malware.

My PC barely goes over 50, maybe 55c while playing intense games. I've had no artifacting, and generally, games work just fine, save for the alt tabbing and framerate issues that're sparse throughout the day.

What the hell is going on?

My PC here. No my MOBO is not 60c.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-27-2014

I take it back, my PC has in fact frozen entirely w/ firefox now.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-28-2014

So I've confirmed all freezes ONLY happen when using web browsers.

I've reinstalled the drivers for my wireless adapter, but results remain to be seen.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-28-2014

Might be an issue with Nvidia drivers, not sure yet.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - Mickk - 01-29-2014

(01-28-2014, 01:56 PM)Saronsen Wrote: Might be an issue with Nvidia drivers, not sure yet.

I'd forget about the Nvidia drivers, the problem is clearly something to do with the browsers, as that is where the problem seems to happen.

Of course, your video drivers *could* be the problem, with your browser freezing being a symptom of the problem in question.

I suggest removing as many browsers as you have completely and then re-installing them, then see if the freezing issue continues. Save your favs list where possible.

I don't know if this will work, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - Jonas Valent - 01-29-2014

Quote:I suggest removing as many browsers as you have completely and then re-installing them, then see if the freezing issue continues.

I had a similar issue and this fixed it.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - Thargoid - 01-29-2014

Could be a problem with the Flash plugin(s).

Adobe Flash is an unstable, resource hungry pile of crap.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-29-2014

So far, disabling Hardware acceleration on Firefox and reinstalling my wireless adapters drivers has been moderately successful. No freezing yet, but I need more time to be sure.

As for the delete-all-browsers suggestion, it was a fresh install of Firefox, and a full wipe of chrome before that. It can't be just the browsers.

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - evanz - 01-29-2014

let me guess, you got nvidia, and youve installed the latest drivers

i had lock ups similar to yours, i went back to 314.22 , not a problem since then

RE: Unknown freezing issues. Need serious help. - tothebonezone - 01-30-2014

Funny thing is, I didn't update my drivers for several months, then out of nowhere, freezes for days. I actually updated after they started showing up, lol.