Discovery Gaming Community
Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline (/showthread.php?tid=112129)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - aerelm - 02-18-2014

Existing Phantom ships are low quality imports and their balance is admittedly somewhat out of whack, and the only reason they didn't really get much attention since 87 has been because the faction was not in use on the offiicial server. Now that the faction is getting a reboot and being reworked from ground up, I was asked to submit a retexture of the CTE line as the new shipline for the new faction which would take over the old Phantom assets.

The idea was discussed within the dev team and since it received a reasonable support there, it's now being posted for community feedback. Before you ask: Yes, the ships will keep their Nomad-style engines.

Stating the obvious which previously did not seem to be necessary but turned out to be so:

1. The ships are not intended as the permanent replacement for the line, and are only proposed as the temporary replacement of the current imported line, to remove the need for an immediate replacement and give modelers some time to actually wait for a new faction to take over the Phantoms assets and then make proper models which would go with the lore and characteristics of the new faction, as any attempt at an actual remodel of the line at the moment would be based on the lore of the old faction, which would not be much productive.

2. As for the models linked here, since the dev team was never given the actual model files, unless someone can actually get in touch with the original modeler and get the actual files from him to submit for implementation, the models cannot be considered because, to put it as simple as possible, there's no actual ship posted in that thread.

Merlin - Light Fighter
Replaces the "Slipstream"

[Image: ql5q.png]

Raptor - Very Heavy Fighter
Replaces the "Raven Claw"

[Image: otbo.png]

Phoenix - Light Bomber
Replaces the "Umbrage"

[Image: 69sp.png]

Color of the cockpit glass might be adjusted to crimson, but that's still pending consideration, and balance of these ships will be similar (not identical) to their equivalent of CTE line. Guns and equipment of the faction will also be receiving appropriate adjustments.

Last but not least, I'd like to thank imrdy (modeler of the original Roc)
for giving me the permission to use his model as part of this line.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Thexare - 02-18-2014

The front fins on the Starblazer never looked right to me. I'd rather see the Merlin based on the Startracker, if it has to be from the gnat portion of the CTE series.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - JayDee Kasane - 02-18-2014

Looks nice and names are good. Im not really into that Phantom thing to know if this is inRP for them to use upgraded civilian ships, but as I heard, these Phantoms are new Phantoms. I suppose the old ones are gone and never returns.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - capitein.iglo - 02-18-2014

Keep the original phantom ships i always liked them playing on other servers

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Echo 7-7 - 02-18-2014

As I said earlier, these already have my full approval.

Do not ask for the old ships to be kept, as we are replacing them as soon as possible.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - |nfrared - 02-18-2014

It's actually good to see the Umbrage go, I always thought that a snub faction would be the way to go. Nice work on the models.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Sarawr!? - 02-18-2014

These really aren't a suitable "replacement", I'd rather see them using a hodgepodge of Bworlds tech and whatever else is already available, over reskinned CTE ships, if they're not gonna get their own new line. (The reskins do look killer though XD)

But hey, I quit Disco soooo.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Rodent - 02-18-2014

Talk about goth.

I guess it fits the phantoms or revenant or what have you. And since they're basically reskins of vanilla models, I doubt balance and stuff should raise too many issues?

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - HuggieSunrise - 02-18-2014

guys i dunno. this looks more like an apology then a truthful submission for ship replacements.

When has the mod replaced any imported asset with a recolored original model?

I understand your eager to erase some sorta stink or blight or some negative ....juju about the line.. and purple engines are cool. But wouldn't this be yet another cop out? In a line of cop outs?

I mean if you want why dont we just get rid of the phantom ships... keep the guns and let the new faction pick what ships it can recreate use? until a designer can make some up proper?

also ive seen re created versions of the ravens claw and the slippy and even a nice tiny gunboat or cruiser we could use i think gibbons mod has them.. i could be wrong tho.

im not making it personal or nothing its just i mean.. black paint job is.. REALLY cool i like it but.. cant we.. do better or.. try? hell ill help.

RE: Proposal: New "Phantom" Shipline - Vulkhard Muller - 02-18-2014

I do enjoy the looks though for the Light fighter I think the Startracker would look better

[Image: 220px-Cv_startracker.png]

But no doubt about it the line needs a Flea.

Edit: Other wise, I do like the look of all the ships and I am interested to see the weapon's changes