Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer Open Server - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer Open Server (/showthread.php?tid=113184)

Pages: 1 2

Freelancer Open Server - utrack - 03-13-2014

So I guess many of you heard of FOS project.

For those who didn't: It's an open-source FLServer implementation written on C# by: FriendlyFire, Cannon, w0dk4, Crazy, Schmackbolzen and utrack.

The current state of the code is best described as spaghetti code, lots of it needs to be rewritten, but the server works smooth. Smile

Clone, send pull requests and propose enhancements\ideas: https://bitbucket.org/utrack/fos

RE: Freelancer Open Server - Durandal - 03-13-2014

I discussed this with Cannon a few months ago, but by how much should this be expected to improve the max player count?

RE: Freelancer Open Server - utrack - 03-13-2014

Well as we'll control every aspect of the server (as FOS doesn't depend on FLServer or FLHook) we will be able to do basically anything with less resources.

We can't give any pricese numbers now (as the AI and physics aren't finished yet) but i think it's already safe to say it will be able to handle at least current player count without any lag. There's still big field to optimize stuff, however - so all optimistic estimates can be wrong - it can be made to handle 1K to 2K players at once with good hardware.

This post isn't product announcement in any way - more of an invitation for fellow geeks and coders to tinker around and possibly join the team.

RE: Freelancer Open Server - Ichiru - 03-13-2014

This is absolutely wonderful, but PLEAAASEEE let me refactor it. Also I think we should merge this with GL-Lancer, I've got a good framework already for loading files + Infocards which works on all platforms

RE: Freelancer Open Server - utrack - 03-13-2014

(03-13-2014, 11:18 AM)ichiru Wrote: This is absolutely wonderful, but PLEAAASEEE let me refactor it. Also I think we should merge this with GL-Lancer, I've got a good framework already for loading files + Infocards which works on all platforms

There's huge chunks of code waiting to be rewritten completely :^) We could do the generic stuff in modular way to be reused everywhere. Let me check your repo...

RE: Freelancer Open Server - utrack - 06-08-2014

Bump for the sake of it.
I started optimizing the ticker engine and close to implementing the physics model, but we really need C# coders to finish the project.

PM me if you want to join.

RE: Freelancer Open Server - massdriver - 06-09-2014

(06-08-2014, 03:16 PM)utrack Wrote: Bump for the sake of it.
I started optimizing the ticker engine and close to implementing the physics model, but we really need C# coders to finish the project.

PM me if you want to join.

>C#
>physics

u crazu? but oh well for small compact battles should be ok

RE: Freelancer Open Server - SnakeLancerHaven - 06-10-2014

1k - 2k , Freelancer never experienced such high amounts 8| but that'd be AWESOME AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! <- ok hell ain't awesome but, you get what I mean.

RE: Freelancer Open Server - sindroms - 06-10-2014

First we need the players to fill said 1-2k.

RE: Freelancer Open Server - SnakeLancerHaven - 06-10-2014

(06-10-2014, 05:16 PM)sindroms Wrote: First we need the players to fill said 1-2k.

Doesn't matter though i m sure that people would log seeing 1000 player capability it automaticly let's you think that this server used to have 1000 players and maybe some of them are on holidays or dunno just by the look of it 1000 players, just motivates you to log more xD and actually motivate other people to play Freelancer Tongue because why not? Tides of War did it with mechanics and graphics , Crossfire did it with graphics and action aka adventure, discovery expands FL engine with RP and Player limit? Every mod needs to put in additional stuff into the Freelancer engine in my opinion Tongue i likw the idea yeh go for it push FL Engine to its limits xD