Discovery Gaming Community
Defective pixels - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Defective pixels (/showthread.php?tid=113216)

Pages: 1 2

Defective pixels - Narcotic - 03-13-2014

The worst nightmare of every PC user when purchasing a new device with LCD. Be it a smartphone, notebook, tablet or monitor.

As of far, I've been lucky in that regard. And always tried to buy my stuff in the internet, as you can return things much easier there when having defective pixels or other problems. Though, this time I couldn't resist against a bargain buy. And there, my first device with a defective pixel. No chance to exchange it, as it was sold out after five minutes. Blessing in disguise. Pah.

So my question to you is; do/did you suffer any defective pixels?

If yes, how did you get by with that "manufacturing defect which can't be claimed as defect". (See ISO standard.

Myself, I've got one dead pixel on a 1920x1080 screen. Unfortunately near the center. (If I had FOUR, I still couldn't claim it as defect!)

Not sure yet if I can live with it. Can/Could you?

RE: Defective pixels - Twentyfour - 03-13-2014

I had 3 on my last monitor. My solution was to not care about it.

RE: Defective pixels - Backo - 03-13-2014

Never suffered any dead pixels. Lucky me, eh?

RE: Defective pixels - Lampyridae - 03-13-2014

Never had in 7 or so years of having TFTs, both as a TV or monitor. Did have a TV go weird in one corner due to a manufacturing fault with the metal that covers the back of it, but well outside of any reasonable warranty.

I've seen them at work, but then again that's 5000+ machines, so you're going to get some. I know someone who bought a new TFT and had three pixels out straight away and they wouldn't change it under warranty, so it does happen. I would have gone completely off it if that had happened to me I have to say.

EDIT: And no I couldn't live with it. Once noticed it would do my head in and be all I could see.

RE: Defective pixels - Kazinsal - 03-13-2014

Had one on my old smartphone. Being that smartphone screens are fairly high resolution over a small area, it was barely noticeable.

RE: Defective pixels - Nexus Ark - 03-13-2014

Had a single defective pixel when I brought a Nintendo DS a long while ago, manage to return it for a new one back in the game shop hassle free. Still a painful process tho

RE: Defective pixels - Nerva - 03-13-2014

I have one dead green subpixel on my monitor (24", 1920x1200). I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it. That's mostly because the panel is S-PVA so said subpixel is black.

RE: Defective pixels - Govedo13 - 03-13-2014

Never had any. I just buy qualitative stuff and I am lucky I guess.
Try to "massage" it, it could be stuck one not dead one, all of this fix methods does not work every time.
Actually if you have guaranty just find out how to break it properly without them noticing then and claim it.
The manufacturers are greedy as hell so you should not feel bad about playing by their rules and screwing them back.
The other option is to Ebay it while forgetting to mention about the dead pixel. If the buyer is pissed off at you,show him the ISO non-sense that is made with a lot of lobbing money from the industry.
The dead pixel idiocy is like the AMD broken batch of 4 core CPUs that was sold as 3 core CPUs in order not to loose any money.
There are different kinds of people but I would not be able not to see it all the time and it would annoy me a lot, while some wont even notice it.

RE: Defective pixels - Eugen - 03-14-2014

Hm.. guess i was lucky all the time ,never got any dead or defeckt pixel.
Or i just dont see them ^^ .
Last time a lcd display/monitor stopt working in my Rig was because of the backlight, no big deal if u know waht to do .

RE: Defective pixels - Narcotic - 03-14-2014

(03-13-2014, 11:53 PM)Govedo13 Wrote: Try to "massage" it, it could be stuck one not dead one, all of this fix methods does not work every time.

Heard of that trick.

Mine is a "dead pixel" though (solid black). After all it remains black on any background. Stucked pixels are subpixel errors I read (they are either green/red/blue).

Also I couldn't massage it away anyways, as it's behind glass (touchscreen).