Discovery Gaming Community
So I got a new machine... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: So I got a new machine... (/showthread.php?tid=113518)

Pages: 1 2 3

So I got a new machine... - Sheaim - 03-20-2014

for 980 $ I got the following specs:
some DVD drive/writer
Core i7-4770 3.4GHz 8MB
Radeon R7 260x 2 GB 128 bit DirectCu II OC 1150 Mhz
SATA III 2 TB HDD
8 GB of DDR3 RAM

all that set up on the H87 Pro 4 ASRock Motherboard.

I'll be running this baby under the Windows 7 my college gets me for being a student.

And I'll be getting 8 more gigs of RAM when I get moniez.

What do you think?

RE: So I got a new machine... - sindroms - 03-20-2014

Well, mine's bigger.

But seriously, what are you asking here?

RE: So I got a new machine... - Sheaim - 03-20-2014

I'm boasting. Also me getting a new machine means i should be able to get back to Disco sometime soon.
I believe "what do you think" speaks for itself there, Spazzy.

RE: So I got a new machine... - evanz - 03-20-2014

make sure its win 7 64bit

8 gig is fine for now mate honestly, no need to get more, unless you work for pixar

RE: So I got a new machine... - Xenosaga - 03-21-2014

CPU is oversized, GPU is undersized. And not even an SSD. Not that grat of a deal. Also probably a cheap PSU.

RE: So I got a new machine... - Sheaim - 03-21-2014

The thing with the GPU being undersized is a budget problem - there isn't really that much between the 200$ cards and the 1000$ ones. No middle ground so to speak.

Getting an SSD drive would limit the available space - for a similar price I'd get a 250 GB SSD or a 1TB SSHD drive. That's too little for what I need.

As for the PSU - it's the most cost efficient one offering the power I need. I don't have to get a nuclear generator for my PC, it's not a workstation nor is it supposed to replace my flat heating system.

As for the CPU it's my personal problem - my current laptop has one of those old intel dual core 2GHz CPUs and it's WAY too slow for my needs. My bro's laptop has a 5 year old i7 and he says it's enough, but anything slower would be too slow.

RE: So I got a new machine... - Xenosaga - 03-21-2014

Well you see, your i7 4700 CPU costs $309 although it's barely faster than am i5 4570 which only costs $200. You paid 50% more for like 5% more performance. And especially in games you won't notice any difference between them, because they're GPU bottlenecked for the most part. An i7 is only worth it, if you regularily use programs that benefit from Hyperthreading, the only feature that sets the i7 apart from the i5. With those additional $100, you could have bought a much better GPU.

About the SSD, you should really consider buying one. Running your OS of it means a world's difference. I would rather first get an SSD than additional RAM.

You're absolutely right about your PSU not needing to be a nuclear generator, 450W would be more than enough. However, with cheap I referred to the manufacturer of the PSU. Cheap PSUs by no-name brands are a literal danger to your hardware. If it fails, it's very likely to kill your hardware as well because cheap PSUs lack protection mechanisms.

RE: So I got a new machine... - Luke. - 03-21-2014

Windows 8 Windows 8 Windows 8.

Anyway, watch your time on Disco decrease as you realise that there's so much more to play.

RE: So I got a new machine... - Freeroamer - 03-21-2014

WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS
WINDOWS 8 SUCKS

RE: So I got a new machine... - Explorer487 - 03-21-2014

Yeah. Windows 8 is pretty sluggish and unreliable. Win 8 updated to 8.1 on mine then it fried the drive. I'd steer clear of it if I were you..