Discovery Gaming Community
Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing (/showthread.php?tid=114395)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - tothebonezone - 04-14-2014

Yup, I'm probably gonna wait a full year before trying.

No offense, but it sounds kinda nightmarish right now.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - sindroms - 04-14-2014

Unplayable is the right word describing the current experience. I suggest we all wait for around a month until it settles down.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - sean24 - 04-14-2014

The issue for me is optimization. Freeworlds can't run properly on anything less than a gaming machine. I had to turn off most of the graphics settings to be able to launch without crashing my video drivers. The result was an unplayable mess of screen artifacts and camera shake.

I understand that Freeworlds probably can't be optimized for mid range machines, but the mod should have designed to meet most system requirements.

For example, instead of designing systems at engine breaking scale, put distant planets into sky-boxes and make the system a modular set of rooms etc...

I would rather a playable Freeworlds with a few immersion breaking loading screens any day.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - SparkyRailgun - 04-14-2014

sean24 (Sean is a great name, if I do say so myself), FWTOW is designed to run on gaming computers made in the last five years or so, though it should run on lower settings as far back as eight. We have never implied that this mod will run on PCs that could run FL back in 2003.

I have a decidedly average to low-spec gaming rig by today's standards and have no problems running the mod, if your pc is even vaguely recent it shouldn't have much of a problem at all... If it's not, then I apologise, but we have no intentions of lowering the minimum requirements.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Pel - 04-19-2014

I appreciate the mechanics of the FWToW mod and actually log on to take missions and a little pvp (which is pretty enjoyable from my POV), but I do enjoy booting up my own personal mod so I can fly a Firespray loaded with Hutt slicers in gorgeous detail, crisp textures and at a decent speed.

The plugins for jumping and the work on the sound and weapons is cool, and I can see a lot of potential in the factions and trade, but right now that's mostly below the surface. What I can see is many ships that fly horribly slow and all the textures have jaggies and are low res. That's right there on the surface. The lighting and shadow effects on objects and planets are also cool, but the overall result is pretty low res on my machine (I have the loathed AMD radeon card and a dualcore processor, stock Dell otherwise, so sure, my machine sucks).

But this mod is not bad. Its just attempting a lot more than the FL engine can usually handle. I like to see them try, even if the FL community is full of overly critical jerks. Even in its current form, FWToW is pretty impressive.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Lonely_Ghost - 04-19-2014

I also found pretty hard to understand what to do.
Anyone managed to get hyperdrive to work? Anyone understood, how to use transfer stations? Ship just docking like with simple station, and what else?

Mod is good, and it has Tie-line, and I can play a scout trooper, which has coolest armor, but it looks weird, when it's weared on Trent.
But mod definatly need a workout.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Pel - 04-19-2014

For hyperdrive, just set waypoint on the map. Exit navmap. Click on waypoint and press "j".

NOTE: make sure you're out of the planet's gravwell and make sure your path does not cross any gravwells.

Works for me.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Lonely_Ghost - 04-19-2014

(04-19-2014, 10:08 PM)Pel Wrote: For hyperdrive, just set waypoint on the map. Exit navmap. Click on waypoint and press "j".

NOTE: make sure you're out of the planet's gravwell and make sure your path does not cross any gravwells.

Works for me.

I should have guessed eventualy.....Shy Anyway, thanks for a tip Pel, gona try later.

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Ponge - 04-19-2014

Hello.
How do I know if I'm out of the gravity well or not? Is it somehow indicated anywhere,besides the failing hyperdrive activation?

RE: Freeworlds: Tides of War is finally releasing - Pel - 04-20-2014

There's a red hexagon up to the right of the hud cruise/dock controls when you're in a gravwell. When in disappears, you're out.

Also, you can type "%hud gravwells" as a chat command and all the gravwells will show up on-screen.