Discovery Gaming Community
Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? (/showthread.php?tid=114438)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Avalanche - 04-13-2014

The point of this thread is to think "that if enough time passes by, anything can become forgotten"

When the Roman Empire was at its height it had millions of slaves and acted in a truly brutal way to those it conquered and defeated. A quarter of the world population lived and died under Julius Caesars rule. I know due to the timeframe between now and the Romans we have much less knowledge of their real way of life and operations but there are an astonishing amount of links between the Romans and Nazis.

We all know of the actions of the Nazis during 1939 to 1945 and as we'd expect 70 years on our opinions of it haven't changed at all. However the Romans were no better but 2000 years on it's a different story.

Ryse: The son of rome
Gladiator
Centurion
The Eagle
Rome total war

Those are images of various films and games that glorify Rome and promote it. It's weird to think that if enough time passes by, anything can become forgotten.

I don't really know why I'm making this thread.. it was something I thought about while playing Rome Total War 2 and wanted to see what else people thought..

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Backo - 04-13-2014

Don't forget that the victors write history. If Nazi Germany won the war they weren't going to be in such bad image. Or rather people who exposed them in such image would have been dealt with. You know, like USSR, which did nearly the same crimes, but never lost the war.

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Praetor - 04-13-2014

Hey!! Cut me some slack,I was a good Praetor.
Also think of many other's whose bad actions are glorified,
Pirates..

History forgets.

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Reid - 04-13-2014

Well in the current age, people see Naziism as the supreme evil, even though much worse things have happened in recent history (inb4 ban because german hosts). In American schools people are taught the bad stuff of WW2 almost every year, so if one thing from history that's gonna stick, it's probably gonna be that

This thread'll probably be locked soon

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Venture - 04-13-2014

You forgot Sparta...

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - lIceColon - 04-13-2014

My first thought when watching a total war let'splayer execute a village... "This is awful!"
2nd thought: "this is a game."
3rd thought: "this is a game based on history, it is awful!"

Anyway, if you look at the historical actions of basically everyone's ancestors, I for example am Chinese and I just absolutely despise the actions of almost every historical Chinese figure ever. Anyway, history is glorified because people who pretend to be historians (who also tout all the tradition bulllcrap) need a bit of escapism to give the illusion that the past was "not all bad".

People say society is degenerate. People forget that the past is bloody awful compared to the present.

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Petitioner - 04-13-2014

As Reid says, far worse things have happened in recent history than Nazism. Bloodl1ke offered the example of the Soviets, although they were responsible for far more deaths than the Nazis ever were. There are dozens of other such tragedies that have taken place in the past hundred years, as well, and not only do people belittle and demean the significance and scope of these tragedies whenever they are discussed, but they're frequently outright denied as well, and are usually forgotten about in the first place.

What's particularly offensive to me is the outright glorification of the Soviet Union, the second-most genocidal regime in history and the political entity with the second-most innocent blood on its hands. There're literally hundreds of websites glorifying and promoting the Soviet Union and its policies of genocide, cultural assimilation, and political repression, and the only folks I've ever seen remotely perturbed by this were Poles and internet ultra-libertarians.

To me, this is the most shocking part of the whole affair - the Soviets were on the winning side in WW2, but were eventually brought down, yet, despite history "being written by the victors" they still are hated in the Western world solely for their opposition to Western capitalism and democracy, and not the millions of innocents they killed (including more Jews than Nazi Germany ever killed).

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - lIceColon - 04-13-2014

lol murrican greed > the lives of dumb russians duh

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Petitioner - 04-13-2014

I was more talking about the Ukrainians, Kazakhs, Tatars, Belarusians, Poles, Karelians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Silesians, Volga Germans, Prussian Germans, Polish Germans, Silesian Germans, other assorted groups of Volksdeutsche, Ainu, Mordvins, Georgians, Armenians, and others. But I guess it's okay to just think about the Russians, too, if that simplifies things for you.

RE: Roman Empire vs Nazi-(ism)? - Ryummel - 04-13-2014

I'd place the yankees' double morality at the same level of atrocities made by nazi and soviets too. There's never been a 'better' side that hasn't endorsed a slaughter here or there or at the other corner of the world yet.