Discovery Gaming Community
Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Suggestion: Cloaking devices (/showthread.php?tid=115976)

Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Foochow - 05-29-2014

As we all know, there isnt any suitable cloak for gunboat and light cruiser class vessels. So, why you wouldnt add another cloak? So There is one for snubs, there should be another for gunboat and light cruisers, then another one for cruisers and heavy cruisers and last one for battleship sizes.

So basically, I'm suggesting that you put another one for gunboat size'd vessels.

Feedback?

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Panzer - 05-29-2014

You want cloaking feedback?

Remove them all, along with pobs. If some hard core RPers are that desperate to avoid RP encounters - make cloaks an admin-issued item.

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Zen_Mechanics - 05-29-2014

I can understand you panzer, but I must admit that a lot of stations also bring fruit. As for the cloaks.. Its an idea but I think they are adding another feature so I don't know if they will expand on it

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Foochow - 05-29-2014

I dont see cloaking devices as a way to avoid RP encounters. Cowards do that.

I see cloaking device as enhanced RP, like setting up an ambush, attack with a moment of surprise or for RP gathering intel. Since you cant proprely intel gathering since Discoveries scanner ranges are very low... So it would look stupid to gather intel 10 clicks away from the target...

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - SkyNet - 05-29-2014

How about that.
We rework the cloaks completely and make cloaks for indies, which are totally useless like those today, and cloaks for official factions like the wild and nomads have.

I see cloaks as additional RP toy. The removal of cloaks would leave a big hole in Disco.

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Binski - 05-29-2014

I have a tendency to go against the grain sometimes, but I figure if they simply buffed all GB's armor by 200, the medium cloak would far more viable for use on one. Most cruisers though, that have cargo holds of 900 can get fairly good use of a medium cloak if they use a standard UAU 8. That's the thing, its a balance toss up, you pretty much have to sacrifice capital armor to get the cargo space to make using the cloak worth your wild.

I use cloaks on 2 ships and have used all three. I find that the light cloak is the only one that's an actual countermeasure, good for quick escapes. The medium can be used for evasion, or seeking out ships undetected for offensive purposes. Slap a medium cloak on a freighter and you have a good fast stealthy scout. Only a couple of transports and standard cruisers can mount the medium cloak anyways, and GB's, with very little time to cloak with, even without armor. The large cloak has the longest charge time, you can't make a quick disappearance, but on a transport you can get long use of one, letting you go behind the lines or travel enemy territory rather easily. Its a smuggler's dream.

If GB's had cargo holds of 700-750, you could get around 500 units for fuel, with a UAU 8. That would be decent, since they're still slower than transports, it could actually let them have a chance with one to keep a transport from escaping by getting very close before de-cloaking.

Cloaks are uber fun and I can't complain that they've ever negatively effected my gameplay or RP, either before or after using them. Ironically I started using them more because as a privateer I was going after a transport that used a cloak, and he escaped me. I chased him over many systems, but he eluded me. And he RP'd around it just fine. Sure, he avoided me, but all it did was me me want to get that same advantage.

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Foochow - 05-29-2014

(05-29-2014, 03:32 PM)SkyNet Wrote: How about that.
We rework the cloaks completely and make cloaks for indies, which are totally useless like those today, and cloaks for official factions like the wild and nomads have.

I see cloaks as additional RP toy. The removal of cloaks would leave a big hole in Disco.

This, definately

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - SkyNet - 05-29-2014

I am of the opinion that every official faction should have better equipment than indies. I think it would increase the ammount of official members then.

Ranks will limit the use of said equipment ofc.

RE: Suggestion: Cloaking devices - Haste - 05-29-2014

Just get rid of them or redesign them entirely around ambushing. Only let people cloak up and remain cloaked if their ship is (nearly) stationary. Make it take a while to cloak so that it's unfeasible to use them to escape from a fight. Once they're up, though, they should probably last either a very long time or forever.

None of the factions that have permanent cloaks have truly benefited from them either. I'm in two. The only result of having them is that people simply don't bother trying to interact with you. K'Hara, Wilde or Aoi ships on the player list? They're probably cloaked. They'll probably not show up to do anything but shoot the crap out of an unsuspecting player and then cloak up again. Result: Fewer interactions, while we already have too few on this server thanks to its huge universe and small player base.

I would redesign Jump Drives while we're at it. Design them, again, around ambushing. Let just about any ship create a short-lived (let's say it lasts 15 minutes to an hour) "Jump Beacon" by scanning an area with a hyperspace survey scanner.
This jump beacon would then let a ship with a jumping device jump right on top of it (possibly destroying the jump beacon so it's only one-use). Jumps would only take about a minute to charge, but starting a jump would drop your shields and any kind of hull damage (including, say, a CD) would cancel the jump. Bam. Players can surprise-jump their ships into large fleet battles, but can't use them to repeatedly escape.

This would probably require some flhook magic, however, and I'm not sure if the dev team still has an flhook wizard.

Oh, and yes, the jump beacon thing sounds a bit like cynosural fields in Eve. This may or may not have to do with me playing this game.