Discovery Gaming Community
College Computer Question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: College Computer Question (/showthread.php?tid=117009)

College Computer Question - KaiserDietz - 06-24-2014

Sooooo....

I'm ditching my old laptop next year for a new system and am planning to beef up my tower and buy a ultrabook to accompany it. I looked at windows tablet and was curious about how functional their digital ink to text capability was. Is it a feature worthwhile for taking notes in lectures, or should I just forgo touch functionality for a lower price tag?

RE: College Computer Question - Freeroamer - 06-25-2014

Dells Are Great

I have this it is Built like a Tank

RE: College Computer Question - Echo 7-7 - 06-25-2014

Don't buy Dell. Their customer service is hideous. If you're going to buy a more powerful laptop, HP or Asus probably have more reasonably priced alternatives. Beefing up your tower is a good idea, particularly for gaming.

Sorry, I don't actually know about tablets that much, but it really depends on how comfortable you are with writing on one. If you have any friends or family with that sort of device, you should see if you can borrow it and try it for yourself. If you end up hating the touchscreen, it won't have been worth the extra cost. It also depends on the subjects you're taking at college; if you're studying more science/maths/engineering courses, typing won't always be adequate for note-taking if you're encountering mathematical formulae, equations, sketching graphs and so on (which is wear a touch screen and/or stylus could help). However, if you're focussing more on the humanities, a regular keyboard may just be faster and easier to use.

RE: College Computer Question - Switchback - 06-25-2014

Suggestion as a current college student:

If your going to be gaming. Keep your PC lives separate. By that I mean if your going to use a PC for leisure, assign your desktop to that role. (I use my laptop for all my work and productivity related tasks, I don't even have Word installed on my desktop)

Also, don't get a windows tablet. Something like a Samsung Note tablet works just as well. I havn't had a chance to use my Note 8 for class yet, but the pen is really useful.

RE: College Computer Question - Freeroamer - 06-26-2014

Wrong Echo Dell support is amazing

Well at least Business Support is great

RE: College Computer Question - dirmaster0 - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 12:38 AM)Freeroamer Wrote: Wrong Echo Dell support is amazing

Well at least Business Support is great

Dell Business Support is alright, but the organization I'm with has also encountered bad Customer Support with both sides (Business & Consumer).
I would say from a technical standpoint that the Dell Inspiron line is pretty solid series of laptops, as well as some of the newer models.
I personally rock a Toshiba Satellite L855, old but it works.
i3-2370M CPU @2.4GHz
8GB DDR-3 RAM
7-Home Premium 64bit.
---
To the original poster:
No idea if their digital ink to text feature is worth while.
From a computer tech standpoint, I'd say if you're going with a tablet and you're concerned about price then forgo the touch functionality to save yourself money in the long run. In order to replace a digitizer you have to break the old one off, which leads to the risk of breaking the screen under it. Getting a replacement part would depend on the make & model, but labor for installation wouldn't be cheap if you can't fix it yourself.
You're better off buying a laptop honestly. And definitely invest more into the desktop tower if you plan on doing a lot of gaming. Mobility in gaming laptops is not worth the price of fixing them later on.

RE: College Computer Question - 7AlphaOne1 - 06-28-2014

I use a note 800 , good for sribbling in a hurry, but not as much as a normal pen/paper combo.

Laptop, I suggest you try to use somewhat advanced ones, (not the ones with touchscreen, I feel those are hideous!) but you can go for lower end ones too, provided they meet your needs. Enough for college life level.

RE: College Computer Question - KaiserDietz - 06-28-2014

Ok, thanks for all the info guys, i think i'm probably just going to go with a traditional laptop.