Discovery Gaming Community
Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" (/showthread.php?tid=117755)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - aerelm - 07-11-2014

Corvo, its role and the matter of its availability has been subject to countless discussions both on forums as well as within the dev team. Since the subject is up for discussion within the dev team again, we decided to also post a public discussion thread to gather more opinions on the matter.

People have been asking for a dedicated research vessel for some time now, and many have suggested Corvo for that role since its lore already somewhat fits that description. So, revisiting that idea, here's the proposed concept for the re-purposed Corvo:

As it's size is already comparable to (even though slightly larger than) heavy gunboats, the ship can turn into a hybrid of a gunboat and a cruiser - Cruiser shield and regens count, destroyer handling, heavy gunboat hull, a limited number of gunboat turrets along with a gunboat powerplant, as well as two special equipment mounts. This would give the ship a decent survival rate as well as defensive capabilities without making it an offense vessel, and allow it to be reclassified as a civilian gunboat (and so made available for use on any ID), while also keeping its role as a survey ship, and allowing it to be used as a "roleplay platform" for the researcher/explorer types out there.

No specific stats (or whether or not we'll actually be going for this change) is decided so far, and this is merely a concept. So with that in mind, share your opinions and suggestions.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - tothebonezone - 07-11-2014

I've got nothing to contribute besides ZONER TEARS SOON.

Make it open, works for me.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Pavel - 07-11-2014

[mandatory finally smth stronger than gb for corps comment]

Do want.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Foochow - 07-11-2014

Yep, I would like it to be open. I would personally buy it and make some RP out of it!

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Sarawr!? - 07-11-2014

Honestly, I agree with the first few posters, this sounds like a decent idea, although it'd probably be fine retaining it's current handling with the other changes.

Also it could probably do without the "Civilian" designation in the name, why not just something like "Corvo Class Science Frigate" or some such?

tl;dr of my opinion: It'd be cool to finally have a dedicated research ship that's good as a roleplay platform and as a solid ship, so yes...me likey.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Just.Dave - 07-11-2014

What about upping the cargo size as well to be +/- 1500?

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - aerelm - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 07:09 PM)Pavel Wrote: finally smth stronger than gb for corps

Far as the ship's combat capabilities are concerned, any gunboat or cruiser would be a more solid combat ship than the proposed Corvo, and it would mainly serve as the "RP Platform" people have been long asking for, while still not being completely useless in combat situations.

So, this won't be the "civilian cruiser" or "corporate cap ship" at all.

P.S: Gents, keep useless FloodStyleâ„¢ one-liners out of this thread. If you don't have anything productive to share, don't.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Occam Razor - 07-11-2014

I would love the corvo to be reclassified. It honestly was too strong for it's role and being abused by some zoners as combat vessels. To make it a heavy Gunboat and open it for the civil market while making it more defensive would fit it perfectly. I would like more RP-oriented ships.

Thus, I want it.

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Sabru - 07-11-2014

From a zoner point of view,

Very well considered and thought out proposal. imo i see no problems. The various possible stat changes and reclassification as a civi GB (equivalent) are appropriate.

+1

RE: Discussion: Corvo, Open-use "Research Frigate" - Stoner_Steve - 07-11-2014

I am very much in favor of this idea, it would be really cool if this avenue of RP was explored further, and having a dedicated research vessel would be a great start