Discovery Gaming Community
Urgent help needed with building. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Urgent help needed with building. (/showthread.php?tid=118281)

Pages: 1 2

Urgent help needed with building. - Lythrilux - 07-23-2014

So, uh, I'm a noob at building so I looked up a guide on the Internet on putting a pc together.
After finally putting everything together, I tried turning my PC on. The LED light for the power works, the disk drive works too. I'm also sure that the HDD works as I heard some faint noise from it. The problem is, nothing else seems to be working. My mouse and keyboard don't work, they won't connect to the desktop. My monitor doesn't connect to it either, it receives no signal. My headset didn't seem to work either. Generally I think the ports at the back of the case don't work at all. Oh, my fan isn't working either. My processor fan doesn't seem to work as well Confused

Everything is connected with the exception of an IDE cable that I couldn't seem to us anywhere. Can anyone help me with my issue?

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Sath - 07-23-2014

Try checking the motherboard, disconnecting and assembling the whole setup maybe. Since all those ports, I assume are directly attached to the motherboard.

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - HassLHoFF™ - 07-23-2014

what system layout?

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Unlucky_Soul - 07-23-2014

There is a wire from the processor that connects to the motherboard. have you tried connecting that. Also a wire from the SMPS to the motherboard. if that is not connected the Processor fan wont work even if the the wire fromthe processor fan is connected.

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - dirmaster0 - 07-23-2014

Sounds like your motherboard is dead
Re: I fix this stuff every day

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Unlucky_Soul - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 03:13 PM)dirmaster0 Wrote: Sounds like your motherboard is dead

If the motherboard is dead, the power to the hard drive, the disc drive and the led lights wont work.

IDK but it depends upon the type of motherboard i guess

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Sturm347 - 07-23-2014

Have you tried already to disassembling and reassembling it? Your mobo might be grounded to your case.

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Luke. - 07-23-2014

*insert IT crowd tech support suggestions*

As the non-functional peripherals and hardware you speak of are all connected to the motherboard, it's most likely something to do with that. I'm assuming you have everything plugged into the right place (they won't fit otherwise) so you should disassemble all of that and make sure the motherboard is in snugly.

Make sure the PSU can handle it all as well.

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - Lythrilux - 07-23-2014

Status update, I got everything working, then it stopped working, then it started working again.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, I think it might be a loose PSU cable though. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

RE: Urgent help needed with building. - dirmaster0 - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 03:46 PM)Unlucky_Soul Wrote:
(07-23-2014, 03:13 PM)dirmaster0 Wrote: Sounds like your motherboard is dead

If the motherboard is dead, the power to the hard drive, the disc drive and the led lights wont work.

IDK but it depends upon the type of motherboard i guess

Not true, lights can still function even if the board is not functioning correctly, its all about where the connections are broken on the board (or within the chips, capacitors, etc).

Also without a working CPU fan you cannot run the computer without risking a melt of the processor. It would save you a lot of heartache to just get a new mobo & CPU (if you ran it without the working CPU fan already).