Discovery Gaming Community
Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction (/showthread.php?tid=118473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Jack_Henderson - 07-28-2014

Heyhey!

I have been thinking about how to streamline traffic in Disco and make encounters and interaction more likely.

The issue:

Too many commodities with too many drop-off points allow players to fly in too many different parts, using too many different routes. While realistic, it is bad for the interaction, and Disco is a multi player game that lives from the interaction between players.

The conclusion from the perceived issue:

Disco's trader movements need to be directed in order to become predictible to a certain degree. They need to move through certain bottlenecks to imcrease the probability of encounters on certain routes, and on these routes in certain high-probability places.

The Solution:

There are many that are already being worked on (like cutting systems, etc).

But here is my easy approach for which only a few values have to be changed:
  • Every faction is allowed to define 1 commodity that is their "main business".
  • This commodity gets a buff (like 1000 cr./unit) at the main selling location
  • This main selling location has to meet the following criteria:
  • Long haul: More than 5 systems away
  • Lanes: they have to be done by lanes
  • Danger: 2 or more danger zones/bottlenecks
  • Ending: in a House capital
  • Goal: Motivate the players of this ID to focus on the transportation of this commodity (= believable roleplay), running one known route, passing known bottlenecks, triggering activity there, ending in a main location, triggering activity there.

Summary:

A significant buff to 1 main commodity would motivate players to prefer a certain route. When many factions define their routes according to the criteria (from periphery to main hub), bottlenecks and danger zones, as well as House Capitals will receive more traffic, and - more importantly - predictible, guided traffic that other players can rely on. Thus interaction becomes easier.

Known issues:
  • Omicrons, and far-out regions. They likely should define 1 spot to be their "hub"
  • Alpha/Gamma: Should be treated like House Capitals for smuggling cargo
  • Increasing danger for traders by being predictible: No real problem. Higher potential gain will in the long run overcompensate for higher risk. With the premise of "Interaction is always better than no interaction", there is no problem. You can also still use different routes that will be much less pirated than the main routes.
  • I do not know whether player produced commodities should be taken into account here. Feedback suggested. I am kinda biased here.

Realisation:

Please post your suggestions in this format:

Code:
[b]NPC Faction:[/b] <your NPC faction>
[b]Player Faction: [/b]<"independent" or "your player faction name">
[b]Top Commodity/highest buff:[/b] <your top commodity>
[b]Top Commodity Current Price at Location:[/b] <your top price> at <current location>
[b]Suggested new selling point:[/b] <new location, taking into account the criteria above>

Feedback is generally welcome.

I will edit the faction's suggestions into the 2nd post, so that we end with a list of commodities. Devs can then decide whether they want to take that up or not. Wink

Jack

RE: Buff one main commodity per faction - Jack_Henderson - 07-28-2014

Reserved post to collect player contributions to have a clean result in 1 post.

(07-28-2014, 02:58 PM)Vredes Wrote: NPC Faction: Rogues
Top Commodity/highest buff: Slaves
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: ~8.000(40.000 if you take in account my previous thread about making human cargo take more cargo space) at Planet Malta
Suggested new selling point: Planet Crete or Corsair stations like Cadiz ( I am not sure how will corsairs react to this in RP since their population is already high)

(07-29-2014, 12:25 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: NPC Faction: IMG
Player Faction: IMG|
Top Commodity/highest buff: Niobium Ore
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: 9800 at Planet Denver
Suggested new selling point: Planet Denver or even better NY

And if ore does not work:

NPC Faction: IMG
Player Faction: IMG|
Top Commodity/highest buff: Refined Niobium
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: Koeln, ALG base 3649 cr
Suggested new selling point: Planet Denver or NY, Central Liberty

(07-29-2014, 12:44 PM)Zayne Carrick Wrote: NPC Faction: Red Hessians
Player Faction: Red Hessian Army
Top Commodity/highest buff: Blood Diamonds
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: 5722 at Planet Toulouse
Suggested new selling point: Buffalo base

(07-29-2014, 01:15 PM)Wulverine Wrote: NPC Faction: BMM
Player Faction: BMM-
Top Commodity/highest buff: Gold Ore
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: 9,859 at Planet New Berlin
Suggested new selling point: Planet Houston, Texas.

(07-29-2014, 06:33 PM)Jansen Wrote: NPC Faction: Landwirtrechtbewegung
Player Faction: LWB
Top Commodity/highest buff: Blue Jillies
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: 4499 at Chateu-something Freeport in Maine
Suggested new selling point: Somewhere the LWB can actually dock would be cool Tongue

(07-29-2014, 07:45 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: NPC Faction: Planetform
Player Faction:
Top Commodity/highest buff: Flourine
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: $3,102 at Planet Muira, Okinawa System
Suggested new selling point: keep location the same, but buff price to about $9,500/ea - this reflects both the demand for Flourine as a terraforming gas for ongoing terraforming operations on Muira, and also puts Flourine on-par with other mineable commodities (it's currently mineable and purchasable in Poole)

(08-06-2014, 10:26 AM)John Wildkins Wrote: Dunno if this format still applies, but here goes:

NPC Faction: Artificial Intelligence
Player Faction: AI Consensus
Top Commodity/highest buff: Iridium
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: $4926 @ Etampes Shipping Platform, Orleanais
Suggested new selling point: $9000~ish in New London or New Tokyo (ideally, create an Ore commodity that is mined in the Delta fields and have that sell in NT or NL for 9000-ish)

NPC Faction: Synth Foods Incorporated
Player Faction: Synth Foods, Incorporated
Top Commodity/highest buff: Synth Paste / Synth Gel
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: Gel - $3547 at Akabat, Omicron Mu
Paste - $3625 at Bourg-en-Bresse Space Port, Burgundy
Suggested new selling point: $4000 for Paste in Bretonia / Gallia, $5000 for the Gel in the Sigmas and southern Omicrons (say, Freeport 11). These are Synth's primary commodities and while they're a decent trading commodity I feel having a buff to them would be amazing for activity and roleplay and all that jazz.

(08-07-2014, 08:27 AM)larzac Wrote: NPC Faction: Junkers
Player Faction: Junker Congress
Top Commodity/highest buff: Manifolds
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: 4397 at Rhodes shipyard, Omicron 91.
Suggested new selling point: Tripoli Shipyard

(08-07-2014, 10:18 AM)KingG Wrote: NPC Faction: <Liberty Rogues>
Player Faction: <"LR-Liberty Rogues">
Top Commodity/highest buff: <Slaves>
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: Planet Malta-> Outcasts Omicron Alpha-> Outcasts->3,268

Suggested new selling point: Fell either a price of 8.000Per unit , for the corsair , to both give the rogues some more activity and to the Corsairs, and 5000-6000 on Planet Malta, as a small help , for the houses we go thought and the risks of haveing our cargo asked to be jettisoned

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Vredes - 07-28-2014

A good idea, will give back life to smuggling as well as to companies like Synth foods and Cryer.

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Vredes - 07-28-2014

Also smuggling should be twice as profitable. And stop giving big trading ships to unlawfuls.

NPC Faction: Rogues
Top Commodity/highest buff: Slaves
Top Commodity Current Price at Location: ~8.000(40.000 if you take in account my previous thread about making human cargo take more cargo space) at Planet Malta
Suggested new selling point: Planet Crete or Corsair stations like Cadiz ( I am not sure how will corsairs react to this in RP since their population is already high)

2nd Commodity/medium buff: Cardamine
2ndCommodity Current Price at Location: ~7.000 at Buffalo Base
Suggested new selling point: Trafalgar Base, it will be fun look at smugglers trying to get through the shortest way, the warzone.

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Valarin - 07-28-2014

I am quite opposed to this concept, and I hope I can explain why. Take it constructively, I'm not trying to shout down your ideas or have a go.

As someone who trades relatively frequently, being strongly enticed or bound to one or two select commodities/routes reeks of sheer repetitive tedium after a short amount of time. The freedom to pick and choose where I'm going next is a great asset which shouldn't be underestimated, and is really the only thing that keeps me flying; there are other ways to make credits, after all.

Furthermore, I believe that adding such bonuses would be a step towards unbalancing the market, as (as far as I understand) the current economy has been quite carefully created to be balanced no matter what/where you're flying.

Now, I understand this is probably not so much a move to make trading more profitable but rather to increase activity and interactions. But doesn't guaranteeing an easy choke-point for pirates make it a little dull, especially in the same place every time? And I'd wager that those players who metagame to avoid piracy/other interactions would surely still do so, or else find other things to do with their time if they were so strongly inclined.

How would you enforce traders not using other factions' profitable routes - would the bonus be delivered by FLHOOK input, similar to mining ID's getting drop bonuses (if that's how it's handled; I can only assume)? If not, it seems like another thing to have to enforce and restrict players with. Without something resolute like that, all we do is end up with a whole bunch of higher value routes and destabilize any non-boosted cargo trading and sinking more credits into the economy. And if it's not hook/ID-based, what happens in the case where several factions want the same cargo boost?

All things said, though, there are enough factions that even if they all flew only their one route, would it really change anything? They're still playing all over Sirius, This seems like needless work for not a whole lot of benefit, and all the while making things that little bit less interesting. I'd also be a little worried about it being easier to single out and pick on a particular group without much effort; instead of an interesting chase and work on the part of the pirate, they could sit in one location semi-afk and prevent a faction from using their most profitable route.

My personal suggestion would be to just encourage factions to follow their own roleplay without actual penalties for variety. There's already a decent amount of support for this that we can see every day; such as Junkers hauling scrap, mining/shipping factions involved in the ore trade and unlawfuls trading contraband. They don't need an extra 1000C/unit to stick to what they should already be doing.

Any suggestions or answers where I've missed the plot entirely?
-V.

Quick, only-related-to-Vredes edit:
(07-28-2014, 02:58 PM)Vredes Wrote: Top Commodity/highest buff: Slaves

Last I heard, the Corsairs were very strongly against the slave trade, but that's purely an IC thing and would probably depend upon the personal player. Don't know whether it would affect your decision, but I'd probably hesitate to sell them there.

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Omicron - 07-28-2014

Omicrons, Omegas and good share of other systems have no trade lanes you silly. No house capitals there either.

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Jack_Henderson - 07-28-2014

(07-28-2014, 11:35 PM)Omicron Wrote: Omicrons, Omegas and good share of other systems have no trade lanes you silly. No house capitals there either.

Learn to read.

Hint, hint:

Quote:Known issues:

Omicrons, and far-out regions. They likely should define 1 spot to be their "hub"

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Omicron - 07-29-2014

There's no way for Core and Order to have one common hub, given they have their own centralized seats of "power" and effectively be at war with each other. Learn to think.

RE: Buff 1 main commodity per faction => streamline traffic => increase interaction - Duncan Farquar - 07-29-2014

(07-28-2014, 04:14 PM)Valafar Wrote: How would you enforce traders not using other factions' profitable routes - would the bonus be delivered by FLHOOK input, similar to mining ID's getting drop bonuses (if that's how it's handled; I can only assume)? If not, it seems like another thing to have to enforce and restrict players with. Without something resolute like that, all we do is end up with a whole bunch of higher value routes and destabilize any non-boosted cargo trading and sinking more credits into the economy. And if it's not hook/ID-based, what happens in the case where several factions want the same cargo boost?

Did you try to buy Synth Gel in Riverside without have a Synth Foods ID or full green rep with them? You can't because you don't have enough good relationship to buy it. It's true, try it.

Well, you can make something like that to sell... I think. You can sell only if you have the right ID or rep.