Discovery Gaming Community
nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP (/showthread.php?tid=118560)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - lIceColon - 07-30-2014

like, slow down the game across the board.
disco is an rp server, however it is almost impossible to rp while in a combat situation when you're too busy stayin alive. (but that's not the only purpose of these proposed changes! the Consequences subheading below contains a full list of the effects of the proposed changes)

setmsg is useful but only to a certain extent.
So here's the rebalance I'm proposing to facilitate more RP (new color coding to mark out nerfs and buffs):
1. 1.5x all regens, hp and shields values (but also 1.5x the shield restart time, and shield recharge values will stay the same)
2. Nerf all weapon damage to 75% effectiveness, and weapon projectile speeds to 60% (to account for reduced speed), and weapon power usage to 66% (to allow for continued sustained fire - want to slow down the game, not make everyone immortal), nerf turret rotation speed to 75%
3. Nerf all impulse and thrust speeds to 50% speed, cruise speed stay as it is
4. 2x ammo for ammo based weaponry

Consequences:
1. The simple fact is that people RP better when they have more time to think through their actions
2. Battles between large ships last longer, the awesome moment when 2 battleships are duking it out doesn't fade 60 seconds after the encounter
3. Snub fights will be resolved a bit quicker due to reduced speeds
4. Travel time is not increased too much, so it won't take forever getting to the action
5. Battletrans still won't be able to thrust away due to reduced speed, so the pirate trader interaction is prolonged
6. Cruise speed will bear more significance than it did, which I think is a good thing?
7. Increased survivability allows increased effectiveness of distress calls
8. Encounters last longer, more activity on the server. And when your encounter is doubled then there is double the chance someone else can join in,etc
9. Server lag has less impact on gameplay
10. Trade lanes gain increased importance, so more trade lane RP.
11. Large ships in disco are too maneuverable for their speed anyway.

Thoughts? Too big of a overhaul?

Also keep in mind of course all figures are just what I feel could be appropriate and are open to debate.

FAQ:

Q. Snubs won't survive against caps/transports, doesn't this buff transports?
A: Everything is slowed down, everyone receives a mild attack penalty and a mild defense bonus. snubs will have more defense and less attack like everyone else, however maneuverability is retained so LF will still behave like LF, plus since projectiles are slowed caps would still not be able to hit a dodging snub.
SPEED has NOTHING to do with dodging, you outmaneuver via turn rates and strafing and slow projectiles.

Q: This would make fights slow and boring.
A: Snubs currently thrust at 200m/s. Let's reduce this to 100m/s, its still 360kph, which is about the average speed of your WWII fighter during a War Thunder battle. With reduced projectile speed, you will still need skill to dogfight successfully, except that snubs are strengthened, you might score a few more hits during a fight and perhaps get more enjoyment out of the game from the prolonged fights or the increased breathing room perhaps allowing you to communicate - eg. throw insults or appease - mid battle. Snub vs snub battles will probably also end a little more quickly.

Q: Skill
A: A demanding skill requirement makes the game inaccessible to casual newcomers or people perhaps not gifted with quick reflexes. Not everybody has time to take part in extensive training sessions yet we all want to enjoy the game. We're all gamers here, perhaps some pvp pros are scrawny in RL, so its hypocritical to expect the same physical "prowess" of your fellow gamers. Besides, you might have to adjust to the new stats but in the end it wouldn't be too much of a difference, aces be aces. Maybe we should aim to make Disco "easy entry, difficult to master", which right now with its convoluted server commands etc, is really not.

Q: This will change the way the whole game feels
A: The only intention of this suggestion is to prolong the enjoyable experiences of the game, improving the roleplay potential while retaining and improving the experience of its prolonged existing excitement. ie. the interactions, the RP, and the battles.
I am only trying to make suggestions to improve the game, and usually change might be a good way to do so.

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Zayne Carrick - 07-30-2014

Snubs won't survive against caps. And will die ridiculously fast against other snubs.

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Scumbag - 07-30-2014

Any attempt to change snub pvp will be met with fierce opposition from the snub pros. You have good intentions and i agree that snubs should be slowed down, i even made threads like this one and proposed ways to do it. Good luck but this is gonna end in " Learn to pvp noob". Cap combat won't probably be debated just as fierce but it's still gonna boil down to how smart they are and how stupid we are.

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - lIceColon - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 04:48 AM)Zayne Carrick Wrote: Snubs won't survive against caps. And will die ridiculously fast against other snubs.

what if projectile speeds were slowed down even more? Forcing you to get close to a snub if you want to score a hit, and only snubs can get close to snubs.

Even though it does reduce the reflex/skill factor, at least everyone can feel cool dodging slow projectiles

also the turn rates for the ships will still be the same, you just have to strategize more

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - nOmnomnOm - 07-30-2014

NO NO NO NO

I dont feel like playing grandpa style!

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Vredes - 07-30-2014

We already have a few pvp****** who can fight, type, watch a movie, cook and scratch their ***** at the same time. Just learn to do it...

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Oldum - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 04:53 AM)Scumbag Wrote: Good luck but this is gonna end in " Learn to pvp noob". Cap combat won't probably be debated just as fierce but it's still gonna boil down to how smart they are and how stupid we are.

Good to know I'm not alone with this feeling Tongue

(07-30-2014, 05:57 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: NO NO NO NO

I dont feel like playing grandpa style!

(07-30-2014, 09:32 AM)Vredes Wrote: We already have a few pvp****** who can fight, type, watch a movie, cook and scratch their ***** at the same time. Just learn to do it...

And here ve go already .. didn't take as long as Scum guessed Big Grin

However, I would also like it it things would be slower ... fe. yesterday, I didn't even have time to push the Print Screen button to get at least a screenshot of things for .. (personal reasons), not to mention I started writing, there "probably" was an engagement notice during that, and by the time I hit the last letter, I was just moments away from getting blown up ...

So even though there is absolutely no chance for such, would still be nice ...

(07-30-2014, 09:45 AM)Oldum Wrote: However, I would also like it it things would be slower ... fe. yesterday, I didn't even have time to push the Print Screen button to get at least a screenshot of things for .. (personal reasons), not to mention I started writing, there "probably" was an engagement notice during that, and by the time I hit the last letter, I was just moments away from getting blown up ...

So even though there is absolutely no chance for such, would still be nice ...

There is something called distance in this game?

P.S. Please don't ban be for 1.2 This is not ironic or even mildly humourous, it shows exactly that you know the posts you are making are in an unnecessary tone. Nothing to do with us being pc or a conspir[A]cy of wet blankets, just basic civility. - Tunicle

RE: nerf attacks, nerf speed and buff defense for RP - Oldum - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 09:49 AM)Vredes Wrote: There is something called distance in this game?

Sure, when you are standing in the ring of 7 opposing ships , and if you move an inch , everyone starts shooting ... And the best is, when I RP with one, and the other reacts faster abd starts shooting me from the back ... (won't say names even though I could but I coulnd't take SS of that Tongue )

I know what you mean, was shot by an outcast 1 week back while RPing. He didn't take any part in the RP, just said *shipname* pew? I asked him if he is sick or something and then he said *shipname* engage.

But this doesnt mean any changes should be made in the combat system