Discovery Gaming Community
Smartphone .... or mini computer? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Smartphone .... or mini computer? (/showthread.php?tid=118637)

Smartphone .... or mini computer? - Mickk - 08-01-2014

So, I recently picked up my very first Smartphone.

I've had it for a few weeks now and got to thinking....

I thought;

Well it seems like I can do most things on my phone now that I would normally do on my PC at home, I wonder how long it will be before they add a port that will take a cable that will allow me to connect things like my keyboard, mouse, printer and monitor to it.

That same night, I updated my phone to Window Phone 8.1 and..... now I find I can connect my phone to my PC and put what is on the screen of my phone on the PC monitor, that is if I had Windows 7 or better on my PC. :p

Seriously though, how far away are we from having a smartphone that can literally replace that big clunky box we have sitting on/under our computer desks?

Not as far as we think I'm betting.

RE: Smartphone .... or mini computer? - lIceColon - 08-01-2014

That's why I'm excited about the 14nm atoms. Currently my haswell tablet performs all basic computer tasks admirably, and even plays "real" games such as Fallout 3 etc. During my 3 weeks of desktoplessness I managed to entertain myself fairly decently, although the tablet had a bad habit of drawing more power than the 10W usb charger could supply which meant that I had to periodically switch off the tablet for it to recharge. Next gen wintel phones might become the only portable device in my life in the near future.
The processing power is there, however both battery and memory might be an issue. While the desktop sits safely on my work desk, both my tablet and phone go through a ton of abuse and I just don't see any longevity in trusting them. Additionally, it seems to be the case that instead of making phones/tablets small PCs, they are turning PCs into large tablets, and along with it goes the complexity and sophistication demanded of PCs. It would be interesting to see what clunky input device/method they come up with to replace the keyboard and mouse.

RE: Smartphone .... or mini computer? - SMGSterlin - 08-01-2014

It will never happen, Windows and Apple make too much money off their computers to do away with them, even when our technology gets to a point where it's possible.

That is, unless they charge like $2000 for a phone like that.

RE: Smartphone .... or mini computer? - Mickk - 08-02-2014

(08-01-2014, 10:54 PM)SMGSterlin Wrote: It will never happen, Windows and Apple make too much money off their computers to do away with them, even when our technology gets to a point where it's possible.

That is, unless they charge like $2000 for a phone like that.

It'll happen one day, one way or another.

As far as I know, Microsoft don't make mobile phones.

Of course, everyone knows that Apple DOES, so I can't see it coming from their direction, but there are plenty of other companies out there that will happily do this, especially if they can get the cost down low enough that everyone will be able to afford to buy one.

Think about it, my best guess is that most families these days have at least one PC of some type, but pretty much everyone over a certain age has a mobile phone of their own.

Imagine the potential market for a company that manages to do it?

As far as Microsoft and computers are concerned, I've yet to see a PC on the market branded as 'Microsoft', unlike the 'Apple' or 'Acer' or even the 'Toshiba' laptops that I see plenty of.