Discovery Gaming Community
How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? (/showthread.php?tid=118826)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Narcotic - 08-05-2014

Recently I often get asked questions about the Liberty Rogues and how I run the faction. Primarily about its structure and organization. And why I'm tolerating some stupidity.

I've led LR- since almost one and a half years, and never cared to occupy the inRP leading position myself. I wanted to keep it open for interested new players, as in my opinion, they tend to cause more activity and fun roleplay, instead of old farts calling themselves "Disco Vets" and experienced faction leaders. Even though I had the inRP leader aka "Warlord" changing almost on a monthly basis, I liked the concept of members voting their own leadership, and everyone having equal chances among a faction. It just fits the Rogues.

Rogues are everything but an elite pro 1337 super agent spec ops group. I consider at least 90% of them being just plain dumb rookies who get killed en masse by LolNS like flies. They fly bulky cheap ships with dubious tactics, like going kamikaze no matter the costs. They make pointless demands to traders. Call themselves happy when pirating 100.000/day, as that'll ensure them some nice booze in 'Traz bars for at least a month. They break faction rules on a daily basis without anyone giving a damn about monitoring. They'd cheat or even hurt each other for a penny. I tried to encourage such "lulz RP" with achievements. However, most attempts failed with a ragequit, thanks to Lolberty attitude.

In a nutshell; they're a messy bunch of mentally limited criminals lacking any form of organization and morals with the only goal to achieve wealth. And Lolberty is the perfect environment for them. At least that is inRP. On the ooRP side of the coin, it looks a bit different;

People don't like being ganked. Outnumbered, with comparable weak tech. Liberty is a paradise for cap spams, and flying the mandatory armorless Greyhound (failed brother of the Wraith) is hell. The Rogues never were a hyped faction, and new applications occurred not that very often. Plus, the ragequit rate was dizzily high, given the Lolberty setting. Playing the winning side just attracts more people. And (the try to) roleplay isn't always a pleasure either.

The point I'm trying to make is, to ask the community what their image of the Rogues is. How they're supposed to be run/played. I for one, prefer the old-school ways. However, maybe I'm missing something that people (also members) would like to see from the Rogues. Unfortunately, feedback threads are rarely used for their actual purpose, so I'll ask you here for your honest opinions.

tl;dr What would you like to see from the Liberty Rogues?

DELETE - SnakThree - 08-05-2014

DELETE

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Thunderer - 08-05-2014

Blokes with funny names. Positively funny. They seem to be (positively) crazy people.
I made my first Liberty character about two weeks ago, though. I have yet to develop my impression and experience.
About what they should be (not saying funny names are bad, contrary), I agree with your vision.

Anyways, seems you need a Barghest?

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Highland Laddie - 08-05-2014

I think part of the problem is that the role of the "happy go lucky pirate" in Liberty has been usurped from the Rogues by the generic Pirate ID.

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Captain - 08-05-2014

for the achievements alone I would join the rogues, but tbh,
I rarely visit liberty space at all, my playground is usually either bretonia and rheinland, because of my trading routes,
molly stuff and such,

from what I read here, is saying to me, you're doing a good job I think, what you describe is what it should be.

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - FynnMcScrap - 08-05-2014

Welll, now I´m ... dazed.

I must say I mostely encountered the *nicest* pirates with indie pirates or non- rouges. And being a PoB owner in Texas I did NOT want to set up my first Pirate in Liberty ( not that I have the time to spare at the moment ).
Exactly the reason I set up my first Policer in Bretonia.
But now...

Being outnumbered, *ganked* , on the underdog side and continually using wits and agility to survive... sounds like fun !

So I do not really understand why you get so much ragequit. Perhaps im getting old Shy

As to feedback : I´d like to know what this means :
Quote:The point I'm trying to make is, to ask the community what their image of the Rogues is. How they're supposed to be run/played. I for one, prefer the old-school ways.

Elaborate pls . Newbie feeling left behind

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Stoner_Steve - 08-05-2014

I'd like to see them become more of a nuance gang within Liberty space, some of the items you have talked about are a good start, but more inRP interaction with other Liberty Factions would be nice as well

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Valarin - 08-05-2014

Without dedicated characters in Liberty, my experience with the Rogues is a little lacking. However, what I have seen, and what you've described above, sounds brilliant to me.

In my head, the Rogues are just that - rogues. They don't band together and behave like a military, answering to commanders and following orders. Their salute is done with one finger, and their sails are set with three sheets to the wind. That's also the impression I get when I meet or see encounters with the LR - which from my perspective, is perfect.

The concept of a constantly-changing "leader" mimics that impulsive and opportunistic lifestyle pretty well, I think - there's always going to be young hotshots vying for the top spot, and there'll always be those who go their own way regardless of what (or if) they're being told. The lack of organisation and unity embellishes that really well. When someone says to me "It's ok, we're friendly with the Rogues", I think "Really? All of them? Or just the odd one or two you've befriended?"

In short - I thoroughly approve of what I've seen of the LR "business ethic". They're there for fun and personal profit, not to be organised Rheinland Military-style antagonists to the LN.

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - Thunderer - 08-05-2014

I saw the Rogues blasting an Outcast destroyer in New York today (wasn't there, just a red message), and once before. Why don't they unite against LNS capspam, instead of shooting at each other? People act like Outcast caps in New York are a bad thing. I love to see them while on my Navy Waran.

RE: How do you see the Liberty Rogues? - VoluptaBox - 08-05-2014

I really like the description of them you gave. All my interactions with the LR, even if they are quite dated, have been highly enjoyable. So I don't actually see the problem. Is it some sort of internal issue? As in, people don't have that much fun playing that way?

Because from the outside, it's quite enjoyable.