Discovery Gaming Community
The Ore mining review. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: The Ore mining review. (/showthread.php?tid=119961)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The Ore mining system. - HassLHoFF™ - 09-29-2014

(09-01-2014, 01:21 PM)Moriarty. Wrote: But that doesn't make the fact that PoBs inside mining field have considerably reduced the activity of pirates pirating miners. I have personally felt bad about DHC miners mining right next to the Edling PoB and when they see a RHA or some pirate, just quick dock there. It is easier to pirate haulers than miners now, sadly.

PoBs inside the mining fields are a cancer. period. Also, sorry for detracking there.

+1 There should be a rule that PoBs must be at least 10k away from the mining field

Beside that I suggest to mine Iridium in the Omicrons a lot more profitable, removing the sell point on FP11 and may increase the mining bonus for the Artificial Intelligence.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Echo 7-7 - 09-30-2014

No new Ore commodities are being added, and only one minable commodity is being added for the next update.

There are enough Ore commodities already in the mod that it can be rebalanced to indicate the dominant exports from a given region.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Echo 7-7 - 10-14-2014

The first revision of ID drop rate modifiers has been added to the first post. Keep in mind that the locations and standard drop rates of ore fields will also be reviewed.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Gypsie Skripto - 10-14-2014

You lowered the Alien Organism bonus of all factions. GMG's bonus is half of what it was before. Seeing how the commodity already offers half the profit than most mineables (ores, H3, pscrap), reducing the bonus that factions had for them is like killing this mining activity. Can it be raised at least for GMG and Planterform back to x4?

RE: The Ore mining system. - Syrus - 10-14-2014

Wouldn't it make sense to have buyable commodities be mineable considerably faster, or are their fields already going to be set in a way, that it makes sense to mine the stuff instead of going to the base right next door and buying it?

Take PFI for example, Methyr-Tydfill is right next to the field where you can buy Flourine, unless you can mine the stuff quite fast, there's no point to ever go there and mine it, because the base sells it quite cheap already.

RE: The Ore mining system. - larzac - 10-14-2014

i hope that buyable commodities like iridium and flourine will be set as only mineable or a lot of them will be useless...

RE: The Ore mining system. - Karst - 10-14-2014

Okay, going to focus on ALG here mainly since there'd be too much to say otherwise....

The higher bonus for Premium Scrap - both higher than previously, and higher than Junkers' bonus instead of lower, as before - certainly sounds nice.
However, it's pretty much impossible to judge what effect this will have without knowing the new import locations, assuming they've changed.

If they haven't, mining premium scrap as ALG will be just as pointless as it is now due to vastly higher profits at unlawful selling points that are no further away than the best sell point we have access to.

From an RP perspective, I think it makes sense for ALG to be better at collecting premium scrap, being a corporation with access to modern, high-tech equipment, and Junkers being better at day-to-day "regular" scrapping.
But since regular scrapping is quite nice for us now and Premium Scrap really isn't - kind of hard to judge without knowing changes to sell points. I know this probably won't be the case, but just assuming regular scrap buyers and fields will remain the same, the drop from 5 to 2 will make it nonviable.

Toxic Waste for ALG and EFL sounds interesting, but again can't say much here without knowing the details of prices and locations.
Assuming the price and location stay the same, the mining bonus could be 1 000 000 - even with instantaneous filling it still wouldn't be worth mining. Or trading, for that matter.

Otherwise, I think the bonuses are a bit too spread out. I'd like to see mining be more streamlined with only 3 commodities per faction. A few good choices are just better for streamlining activity than a few good choices and a few bad choices.
As a miner of a non-ALG faction, I don't see why I'd ever mine at 2.00 when I have three ores that mine faster. Three should cover Sirius pretty adequately for most factions. Four should be the absolute maximum in my opinion.

But overall, sounds interesting.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Karst - 10-15-2014

To clarify why I'm more skeptical than optimistic given the current changes, and because I've heard from some understandably critical Junkers for what likely won't be the last time, let me just put in some numbers.
Premium Scrap has extremely long routes for an ore, while regular Scrap has extremely short ones.
So, while the buff on Premium Scrap sounds nice, it's really not that relevant, while the nerf on regular scrap hits much harder:

Regular Scrap / Munich-Dortmund
Mining Time: 3:30
Flying Time: 6:10

~ 35% mining time

Premium Scrap / Texas-Valetta
Mining Time: 1:30
Flying Time: 23:00

~ 6% mining time

These are the results from a test I did earlier today with a friend. Both times, the mining ship was an ALG Ragnar, and the transport was a 5k.
Of course this a very rough result. It's not scientific, it was only a single test, but the basic principle stands:
The mining time for Premium Scrap is insignificant. The mining time for regular Scrap makes up a significant part of the total time investment.

With the given changes, assuming no other changes are made though I'm certain they will be, this means the following:

Premium Scrap run for Junkers: + ~2% time investment at most

Regular Scrap run for ALG: > + 50% time investment

I'd like people to look at these numbers before they judge how this premium scrap buff and regular scrap nerf will work out for us.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Echo 7-7 - 10-15-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:04 PM)Syrus Wrote: Wouldn't it make sense to have buyable commodities be mineable considerably faster, or are their fields already going to be set in a way, that it makes sense to mine the stuff instead of going to the base right next door and buying it?

Take PFI for example, Methyr-Tydfill is right next to the field where you can buy Flourine, unless you can mine the stuff quite fast, there's no point to ever go there and mine it, because the base sells it quite cheap already.

The lower drop rate modifier on non-Ore commodities will most likely be balanced by a higher base-line drop rate per asteroid. I intend them to be (generally) faster and safer to mine - low risk, low reward.

(10-14-2014, 07:37 PM)Karst Wrote: ...
Otherwise, I think the bonuses are a bit too spread out. I'd like to see mining be more streamlined with only 3 commodities per faction. A few good choices are just better for streamlining activity than a few good choices and a few bad choices.
As a miner of a non-ALG faction, I don't see why I'd ever mine at 2.00 when I have three ores that mine faster. Three should cover Sirius pretty adequately for most factions. Four should be the absolute maximum in my opinion.

The maximum of 5 Ores per faction is already a reduction for most mining groups, and I don't expect the commodities with the x2 bonus to be mined for maximum profit - they're more for RP purposes.

Re: Prem Scrap sell points; there will be viable options for lawful sale points for ALG as well as quasi- and unlawful points for Junkers.

RE: The Ore mining system. - Derkylos - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 02:53 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: The maximum of 5 Ores per faction is already a reduction for most mining groups, and I don't expect the commodities with the x2 bonus to be mined for maximum profit - they're more for RP purposes.

But it's gonna make you sit in the field for yonks to fill up...and you'll just get bored...wouldn't it make more sense to have the drop rate the same but reduce the sale price if it's for RP only?

(10-15-2014, 02:53 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: Re: Prem Scrap sell points; there will be viable options for lawful sale points for ALG as well as quasi- and unlawful points for Junkers.

Give GMG/IMG buy points in the Taus/Sigmas so they can re-direct those nasty smugglers and not completely ruin the -player's- day. Also so Junkers can get some good faith by actually supplying both factions as well as the Outcasts...

One thought: Would it make sense to have Junkers get a biger bonus on normal scrap as well as make their bases pay more, whereas ALG get better bonuses on premium and better monetary rewards, thus encouraging Junkers to go after basic scrap and ALG to get the premium stuff, as Junkers are supposed to use the scrap business as a cover, while ALG are supposed to be the real dustmen of Sirius.

Also, make GMG have a better alien organism drop, because they're supposed to be, like, exploring it in the Edge Nebula or something (maybe give Samura an alien organism bonus, given their operations on Kurile, too? Giving these factions another area of conflict...)