Discovery Gaming Community
[redacted] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: [redacted] (/showthread.php?tid=120354)

[redacted] - pillow - 09-09-2014

[redacted]

RE: Disco Crashes. Again. - Findarato Veneanar - 09-09-2014

You might want to try uninstalling both Discovery Freelancer and Freelancer, then reinstall Freelancer and Discovery Freelancer into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games" folder, and turn off your anti virus while installing the two games.

Also download a fresh installer for Discovery Freelancer, and if you use a pirated installer for Freelancer download a fresh installer for that as well.

RE: Disco Crashes. Again. - Echo 7-7 - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 04:31 AM)Findarato Veneanar Wrote: You might want to try uninstalling both Discovery Freelancer and Freelancer, then reinstall Freelancer and Discovery Freelancer into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games" folder, and turn off your anti virus while installing the two games.

Also download a fresh installer for Discovery Freelancer, and if you use a pirated installer for Freelancer download a fresh installer for that as well.

Actually, no - don't ever install Freelancer related programs or the game itself in the Program Files directory.

You need to have an absolutely clean install of both the game and mod outside of that directory, and perform the install (and mod updates) while your antivirus is disabled. You may also like to add an exception to your AV's auto-scan (or equivalent) to ignore the Discovery directory to prevent false positives.

Also, the AppData is a hidden folder. You will need to enable "view hidden folders" to access it normally. While that is the default directory for Discovery, it's fine just to put it in a subfolder of My Documents or similar. I have all Freelancer stuff in a folder in C:\Users\<name>\Freelancer Directory - it comes down to personal preference.

[redacted] - pillow - 09-09-2014

[redacted]

RE: Disco Crashes. Again. - Findarato Veneanar - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 04:43 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: Actually, no - don't ever install Freelancer related programs or the game itself in the Program Files directory.

Sorry, i forgot that some of us have our computers setup in a way that allows for such things to be done without causing problems.

RE: Disco Crashes. Again. - Echo 7-7 - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 05:01 AM)Findarato Veneanar Wrote:
(09-09-2014, 04:43 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: Actually, no - don't ever install Freelancer related programs or the game itself in the Program Files directory.

Sorry, i forgot that some of us have our computers setup in a way that allows for such things to be done without causing problems.

Well that's fine, but this is the easiest and fastest out-of-the-box method to get playing. It's also the most convenient option for those of us with multiple mods installed, or even multiple copies of the same mod.