Discovery Gaming Community
The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Watering Holes (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+---- Thread: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven (/showthread.php?tid=120362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - FynnMcScrap - 09-30-2014

Fynn laughed while sitting down and nodding over to Zettsu.

Funny to hear somebody bicker about smugglers, but I know what you mean.
Well, I won´t have any Cardamine or Slaves around the Haven.
Long story as you said. Short version is I nearly got sold as a slave to the Hogosha in my jouth, and all to finance the Cardamine addiction of the man who was supposed to be my parental support. So I take that quite personaly, and I gave my word to the man who saved me never to allow such around my crews.
Perhaps you will see him around here some time, a middle aged Zoner with a unmistakeable exotic winged snake always around him, name of Flinx.

He smiled, being distracted a little by the fine aroma evaporating from the wine glass in his hand. Some of the tension seemed to be leaving him, and he settled down with the two Vigilantes for a chat.

The wine is actally... well, not really contraband, but smuggled you could say.
A gift from a dear friend and worthy of some consideration.
You see, we have a tradition here at the Haven. Deeds count, not words.
A tradeable good sold openly at one point might be a damnable contraband somewhere else, and a high priced delicacy at a third port.

He opened his hands, stopping Seraphs angry retort and speaking on.

This is no illegal trade good in Liberty, but the Gallic military certainly would not greet any trader flying down to Liberty with a load of this wine as a friend.
And If we were interested in trading it onwards to Rheinland from here we would be breaking the libertonian side of the currrent trade embargo. We are licenced here in Liberty, and would not do such a thing.
But let me point out an exemple with this wine , please : My friend , an ex Council member, flew here from the Champagne with this bottle, and with perhaps a crate or two more. He sold us the lot for a good price, and those who know him think of him fondly every time we open a bottle.
We do not see it as a tradeable good, even if everybody could buy a bottle here.
No law broken at the Haven, no Libertonian interest hurt.
And Gallia... well, we are not neutral to Gallia. Are you ?

As Seraph hesitated again, Fynn smiled and pressed on

Most of my Junker crewmates have run a blokade now and then, and even Zettsu here helped us break one. Against Gallia again, rescuing refugees from Leeds and transporting urgently needed food supplies to there. We cherish the knowledge of the Jump holes and the ability to take a risk without getting careless that our Junker pilots have.
And to be true... most of our Freelance pilots too.
The original idea to run the Leeds way came from Tukker himself, not from me.
He arranged a licence from Bretonia for the medical supplies, and he took overr coordination in the background while I escaped my bureaucratic burden for a few days to fly my CSF to Leeds with the rest.
You see... these refugees are no trade commodity for us like those poor Slaves took over to the Gas Miners Guild or the Hogosha. They are people, with their own rights, needs and sorrows. So... as an excemple : If I fly from here to Rheinland, with a full SRO Liner carrying some necessary supplies for the trip, and refugees to be relocated... to I smuggle ? Do we break a law ?
Or do we cherish the wine, the life we lead and better.... the intent of the regulation ?

Fynn was getting earnest again, looking directly at the two Vigilantes :

Thats our point of view. Do not break the true meaning of a law.
Except if you are prepared to fight and die for it, because then you have chosen your side.
But if you chose at least to be neutral, or if you pick an ally : stay true to your Intent, too.
Everything you do is worth to be done fully, gladly, and with full responsability. And smuggling Cardamine or selling Slaves, even carrying those alien Artefacts is nothing I am prepared to take any responsibility for.

The joung Junker Foreman saluted the equally joung libertonian pilots, speaking loud enough for some of the surrounding tables to hear his words. And drawing several aprooving nods and one or to affirmative catcalls.

So let us drink this fine Gallic wine, drink it as free people not willing to take nonsense at gunpoint. And willing to say that a glass is a glass and a bottle a bottle, eh ? Cheers !

As the cheers from the surrounding tables calmed down, Fynn bent towards the two Vigilantes, speaking less loudly now.

So... if a Smuggler pays his fine and lets his toxic load be destroyd, but returns as fast as possible to his primary port and lands at your doorstep again the very next day, calmly calculating odds and prices to make a profit without caring about the suffering he causes... do you follow the law to the last word, Seraph ?
Or do you pick a side, staying true to your Intent and being careful not to break a law yourself while doing what you see as right ?

Fynn grinned at both pilots, showing sharp, perfect teeth.

We cherish Integrity here at the Haven, more than lawful conduct.
Even if we are only grimey Junkers, scrap running and jump hole creeping.
And I always try to teach newcomers the first and most important rule :
You only have one word, one reputation... one name. So whatever you do, do it right.

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Vigilantes - 10-04-2014

Seraph laughed. "You're kidding me. Letourneau comes here? Really? I wouldn't expect him to, I've never seen him with more more than two people around. Though, all these scribblers, very strange indeed. He has some weird connections with different people around Sirius, but even if he does some side deals that aren't exactly... hmm... white, he's pretty good with covering his tracks. And sometimes even puts up targets for us."

She drank up her wine while Zettsu said under his breath "When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you," and sighed.

"Law is law," said Seraph, "and thankfully it leaves little room for interpretation. And when someone is breaking it, it just gives us the opportunity to shoot someone. There always will be more criminals than law enforcers."

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - FynnMcScrap - 10-04-2014

Law is law...
who´s law, I ask you ?

Libertys law in Liberty, Bretonnian law, Kusari law ?
Right is right and wrong is wrong ?
If I see light shining on a Nebula, I never see it refracting only dark or light.
I shines in all colours of the spectrum.

Fynn sighed, and concentrated on his wine, mumbling.

I sure hope somebody will proove me that all is simply wrong or right, but I still suspect I just have too much conscience for that easy way out.
But you are right. As long as you can shoot, there always is an easy way out. Only if you are not ready to pull the trigger, or if you are in a situation in wich you can not afford to let the shooting continue you learn to look for other possibilities.
And if you have to much to loose.

I hope you will never have to learn that lesson, it´s not easy.

Holding up his wine glass again, he toasted Seraph and Zettsu

To the living, and in memory of all lost friends, eh ?

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Doc Holliday - 10-05-2014

The stranger had been traveling....a lot...with minimal stops. The galley on his ship was empty and he was both exhausted and in need of a shower. A fresh change of cloths, he headed somewhere to take a shower. It was just what he needed as he woke him up a bit. Changing into something casual, he opted to keep his dark glasses on as he didn't want to draw attention to himself. Since leaving TAZ, he enjoyed some relative anonymity.

He remember his invite to Tinker's Haven from Fynn McScrap but was never in the area. Having dropped some blue diamonds to Culabra Smelter, he figured he'd stop in for some good food and some rest. Fortunately, there was an isolated room for him to rent which he did anonymously. His hair longer than normal, he was able to wear it enough to hide his face a bit.

Entering the Cantina, he took a look about. It was a typical bar and he found a table away from the crowd. Trouble was that on his way, he found a weakness, a baby grand piano set up in a corner. He gave a soft smile and found a small table near it. He requested a bourbon to the table for himself but as he waited, he started admiring the piano.
It was new and unplayed. My God does anyone play these anymore? he thought to himself. It was of mahogany and the keys were of a fine material unknown to him. Where it came from he had no clue nor did he care. As he walked around it, he ran his hands over it before pressing one key. It sounded perfect and he was in love. His drink delivered to the table, the waiter said to him, "No one here plays. I think it's a waste of space."

As he sat on the bench, he turned to him, "Oh it's no waste, Boy, not at all." The waiter left. He then placed his hands on the keys and casually and beautifully ran a scale down the keys.
"Yes," he said under his breath, "It's perfect." Then, without warning, he just started playing.

Root Beer Rag

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - FynnMcScrap - 10-05-2014

Olsen had been cleaning as usual, and had not noticed the Visitor till he started playing.
Now he only grinned, standing behind the bar and watching.
He knew who was playing there, even if he had never met the guest.

Without a comment he cleared a small place in the bar´s rack of spirits, fetched his finest bottle of Bourbon from the store and placed it there, with one of the small notices he had trained his clerks to mind reserving it for the new customer.

And listening to the music he now understood Fynns insistence on the piece of wood and strings.

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Vigilantes - 10-10-2014

They instantly cut their conversation the moment they heard the piano. Everyone turned towards the stranger. Seraph saw a spark in Zettsu's eye when he looked at the man and heard his music. She rested her chin on her hand and gazed at the piano while Zettsu leant over to Fynn and whispered,

"Who is this man?"

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Doc Holliday - 10-10-2014

Doc was only warming up. It had been awhile since he could just sit and play. He didn't much feel like singing but he was in a mood for ragtime, a favorite of his.
He realized that he was getting an audience and wanted to keep them entertained. He took a sip of the drink brought to him before settling on the bench and playing some more.

Joplin

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - FynnMcScrap - 10-10-2014

Fynn laughed, and pointed at the Piano.

He´s the reason that piano is standing there, as his pupil is the reason I know.
That´s Doc Holliday over there, but as he seems to be in vacation.
Let him rest and play, and get a night sleep.
I hope he will still be here tomorrow morning, and then we will see if I can perhaps arrange a card game back over there in the side room. I heared he´s good at that, too.

Fynn grinned widely, and gestured over to the silent cantina.
Most crewmembers hat stopped whatever they where just doing to listen.

See why I tried to get a Piano ?
A very good friend gave me a description of how good he plays, after Doc Doreen gave me the first tip.

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - Doreen - 10-10-2014

After making some rounds and completing some reports, the pretty red head entered the Cantina to the magical sounds of the baby grand. She could only smile as she accepted a glass of Gallic White wine from the bartender. He knew what she wanted as she walked in and always had it ready. She stood next to Fynn as she smiled and said loud enough for him to hear, "John Holliday. It was only a matter of time."
Pulling the glass down, she leaned to him a bit, "he can sing too when he's in the mood."
For now, she just took a seat at a table and listened, enjoying the sounds provided by her mentor.

RE: The Cantina at Tinkers Haven - FynnMcScrap - 10-10-2014

Fynn relaxed, and only smiled at Doreen for a moment before he continued to watch Doc Holliday conjuring at the ceys of the piano.

Thank you a thousand times for the tip , Doreen.
Just look at all the people pouring in. Most of them never heard such music before, includuing me.

What an evening.
In the Haven, between all his crewmen and friends.
Happyness.