Discovery Gaming Community
Windows 8.1 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Windows 8.1 (/showthread.php?tid=120653)

Pages: 1 2

Windows 8.1 - djoser1970 - 09-15-2014

Having a problem installing FL and the other stuff like launch pad, keeps saying common DLL file is missing. Tried 3 different times even used the disk and flash for Launch pad. It's loaded easy on 7 Ultimate but what a pain this new windows OS is. This is a top end Gaming system, best of everything. Very frustrated.
This is a Asus G750JZ -DE73-CA laptop ROG. Can anyone assist me from the supporting community, I want to play on my 50 " TV yes I have a HDMI cable attached

I'm not trying to brag about this just hoping with details of the system someone will have a idea what to do from the admins or players. I want to really play on this machine, otherwise I have to dump 8.1 and back to 7

Thanks for your time.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Rebirth - 09-15-2014

Don't use the launchpad.

Try a clean reinstallation of Freelancer, before that clean your registry & folders with previous freelancer installations.

For me Freelancer does work on Windows 8.1 64xbit and Windows 7 86x bit very well..

1.) Uninstal previous freelancer installation if existant
2.) Clean your registry on windows 8.1, as there are over 100 errors or missing paths in the registry after fresh setting up windows 8.1, get TuneUp for this or free CCleaner.
3.) Restart your Laptop
4.) Install freelancer with Admin mode.
5.) Launch FL to see if it works.
6.) Install Discovery Mod
7.) Enjoy
8.) Give me that cake.

If that works, np. It should actually. I just got my new Asus laptop 3 weeks ago too. But I installed freelancer just after cleaning up the Registry might work for you... Ah don't forget to do all Windows updates, I've done ALL before installing Freelancer as in those updates are .dll libraries too...

-Phillip

RE: Windows 8.1 - djoser1970 - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 09:45 PM)Rebirth Wrote: Don't use the launchpad.

Try a clean reinstallation of Freelancer, before that clean your registry & folders with previous freelancer installations.

For me Freelancer does work on Windows 8.1 64xbit and Windows 7 86x bit very well..

2.) Clean your registry on windows 8.1, as there are over 100 errors or missing paths in the registry after fresh setting up windows 8.1, get TuneUp for this or free CCleaner.
3.) Restart your Laptop
7.) Enjoy
8.) Give me that cake.

If that works, np. It should actually. I just got my new Asus laptop 3 weeks ago too. But I installed freelancer just after cleaning up the Registry might work for you... Ah don't forget to do all Windows updates, I've done ALL before installing Freelancer as in those updates are .dll libraries too...

-Phillip

Thanks I will do this, I'll let ya know.
Smile

RE: Windows 8.1 - djoser1970 - 09-16-2014

(09-15-2014, 11:17 PM)djoser1970 Wrote:

3.) Restart your Laptop
7.) Enjoy
8.) Give me that cake.

-Phillip

Smile

Yeah I believe this will, I just did the CCleaner wholly hanna 122 files missing so it should be a easy instal now after a Windows Update now, Just wanted to say thanks. 8.1 is confusing, I can navigate 7 Ultimate with little effort, I may dump the 8.1 heard there is a lot of problems with it. Apparently so this is the new Vista of 2014/15. Give me 7 and I'll master this system

RE: Windows 8.1 - Gulryz - 09-16-2014

it works on my Windows 8.1 pro with media center, Windows 8.1 works faster then windows 7 but have some problems which microsoft should fix
~Devil

RE: Windows 8.1 - Sciamach - 09-16-2014

Simple solution to all of this:

Dont use windows 8.1

It is literally crap.

RE: Windows 8.1 - Papa Oomaumau - 09-16-2014

I agree - if you have to have a touchscreen windows rig, rollback to 8.0
After numerous problems of my own, including text conversion issues, I did a rollback and was pleased that not only did it return my system to functionality, it increased speed noticeably.

RE: Windows 8.1 - dirmaster0 - 09-16-2014

(09-16-2014, 02:39 AM)Scourgeclaw Wrote: Simple solution to all of this:

Dont use windows 8.1

It is literally crap.

7 for life

RE: Windows 8.1 - Rebirth - 09-16-2014

(09-16-2014, 01:48 AM)djoser1970 Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 11:17 PM)djoser1970 Wrote:

3.) Restart your Laptop
7.) Enjoy
8.) Give me that cake.

-Phillip

Smile

Yeah I believe this will, I just did the CCleaner wholly hanna 122 files missing so it should be a easy instal now after a Windows Update now, Just wanted to say thanks. 8.1 is confusing, I can navigate 7 Ultimate with little effort, I may dump the 8.1 heard there is a lot of problems with it. Apparently so this is the new Vista of 2014/15. Give me 7 and I'll master this system

no problem, might want to put that one in the Tutorial section any moderator, so anyone with the Windows 8.1 Problem can look it up there.

-Phillip

RE: Windows 8.1 - djoser1970 - 09-16-2014

(09-16-2014, 06:23 AM)dirmaster0 Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 02:39 AM)Scourgeclaw Wrote: Simple solution to all of this:

Dont use windows 8.1

It is literally crap.

7 for life

This system came with it, and yup it sucks! Going back to Windows 7