Discovery Gaming Community
Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts (/showthread.php?tid=121629)

Pages: 1 2 3

Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Alley - 10-11-2014

Question 1: Imagine the Launchpad would load the accounts from the discovery server instead of your computer. You would never lose these accounts again and would be able to access them from anywhere. Would you like that?

Question 2: With the same perspective, imagine your Launchpad would allow you to easily share an account with another player just by clicking on share account and entering the forum name of that member. Would you like that?

Question 3: Do you have concerns, ideas or suggestions related to this?

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Omi - 10-11-2014

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Can't think of any at the minute.

I keep all my accounts backed up on Dropbox regularly, personally, but I did almost lose them when I bought my new computer a few months back. Had to go and get the old hard drive out and retrieve the XML Launchpad file. Something like this would be a hell of a lot handier than doing the old 'export to ADF > drag to Skype' song and dance for sharing stuff, too.

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Lythrilux - 10-11-2014

Yes to everything. Including the question.

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - SnakThree - 10-11-2014

As long as it is optional. I mean, I see no problems with they way Launchpad operates now. I have my account on my person and I cannot accidently share them or be hacked.

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Freeport7 - 10-11-2014

Yes
Yes
No

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Caconym - 10-11-2014

Yes to hall. However, the Launchpad should be able to save the accounts it downloads, so that basically if it's unable to connect to the server, you have the accounts that you previously downloaded, the last time you started the Launchpad, assuming that for each new download the old files are overwritten (e.g if they were created while the computer was disconnected, or the servers were down or something); so maybe add buttons that say "upload" and "download", and retain the local save ability. I also take it that you'd log in using your forum usernames and passwords to access your cloud files.

EDIT: You should make a poll in the thread, it would be so much easier than going through every post just to see if it's yes or no.

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Alvin - 10-11-2014

Yes
Yes
No at the moment ?

Seriously, I would worship you if this happened.

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Corile - 10-11-2014

Quote:imagine your Launchpad would allow you to easily share an account with another player just by clicking on share account and entering the forum name of that member. Would you like that?
Elaborate please?

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - Cashew - 10-11-2014

Yes
Yes
No

RE: Survey: Cloud-based Character Accounts - FynnMcScrap - 10-12-2014

Yes
Yes
hm.... not sure :

Could you set a master password for *shared accounts* to prevent selling / renaming ?
Like with TAG registry ?
Well, selling - I suppose you have to trust a player to share a ship.
But if factions could share ships here without any fear of getting <<< insert : their prized SRP BS >>> scrapped for fun, it would be nice.
And it would enable easy acces to *training ships* of all categories for newbies , perhaps defusing the need to *Indie BS and here we go* a little ?
Preventing renaming and selling would prevent destruction or misuse of the ship except for it´s equipment.
And equipment might be unique , but as I said : you should trust somebody you share a ship to.

It would make training and equipping Newcomers a lot easier.
Let them share and fly a ship or two, let them earn their money or shoot their rep while a Faction Member or Angle supervises them a bit , and if they decide they have found the ship they want to keep : let them purchase it from the owner / the faction / the Angles.
Could make them respect the game money ... oh well, I forgot : Internet.
Still : would be nice ;-)