Discovery Gaming Community
Monitor problem - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Monitor problem (/showthread.php?tid=121672)

Pages: 1 2

Monitor problem - Fluffyball - 10-12-2014

Hey, I have noticed a very strange problem with my monitor (and internet says nothing except that it may be graphic card fault, what does not fit problem, because while connecting to Monitor/TV (PC can be connected to it) everything is okay.

First of all, after being plugged off for a time (even 10 minutes), while turning on - the green light blinks for a time, while after a broken welcome screen appears, then turns off repeatedly. After that, screen appears, but its white and it is like it was burning out white all over the screen (I can notice my desktop fragments though that). After waiting a while, when whole screen is white and few clicks on control panel to on/off, everything is in place again.

Yet I have discarded the fault of PC or graphic card, because 1) Everything in PC turns on. 2) I can hear the system welcoming screen. 3) After forementioned machinations screen is okay, I can see the desktop. 4) I have tried that hybrid TV/PC Monitor connected to my X360 and everything seems to be in place.

The only additional thing I can add is that problem does not occur if monitor hasn't been unplugged AND while that blinking green light stadium, it seems like control panel is unactive and I can't turn on or off, like it was clicking itself all the time.

Any ideas on this one?

RE: Monitor problem - evanz - 10-12-2014

sounds like capacitors area about to blow, my LG did similar until it wouldnt turn back on

RE: Monitor problem - Fluffyball - 10-12-2014

(10-12-2014, 07:41 PM)evanz Wrote: sounds like capacitors area about to blow, my LG did similar until it wouldnt turn back on

Oh my... Ugh... Well... I will look for a cheap monitor then.

RE: Monitor problem - evanz - 10-12-2014

best way to check, is take back cover off, look for capacitors, if the tops are raised or leaking then it might happen soon

[Image: bad-caps2-300x225.jpg]

RE: Monitor problem - Fluffyball - 10-13-2014

Well "blow" was a very... big word here. You mean, explosion or something then? Or just something like "poof" and dead?

RE: Monitor problem - SkyNet - 10-13-2014

They can't explode... i guess. I also had problems with my monitor some time ago. He wasn't able to build up the screen, switched on and off all the time. At the beginning it took about 2 minutes after the screen appeared. In a week, it was about 30 minutes. And then... Darkness.

In 99 % of all cases it is always a broken capacitor. You can simply buy new capacitors and repair your monitor. It has cost me only 75 cents and some hours of work.

RE: Monitor problem - Internity - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 09:43 PM)SkyNet Wrote: They can't explode... i guess. I also had problems with my monitor some time ago. He wasn't able to build up the screen, switched on and off all the time. At the beginning it took about 2 minutes after the screen appeared. In a week, it was about 30 minutes. And then... Darkness.

In 99 % of all cases it is always a broken capacitor. You can simply buy new capacitors and repair your monitor. It has cost me only 75 cents and some hours of work.

+100
I agree with you, I had similar issues with my monitor but instead of repairing it myself, I took it to a service which repairs monitors. They changed 2 of the broken capacitors and after 30 minutes I took it back home Smile
It didn't cost me too much and it was worth it. My monitor is now running as good as new.

RE: Monitor problem - Alvin - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 08:19 AM)Toji-Haku Wrote: Well "blow" was a very... big word here. You mean, explosion or something then? Or just something like "poof" and dead?

I remember when I was back in school (gosh that was 8 years ago) when a fellow student in D&T overloaded a capacitor, made a REALLY loud "pop" noise. Startled quite a few of us.

RE: Monitor problem - evanz - 10-13-2014

depends on the voltage its designed for, and how it handles it , a cap stores energy, when it pops it can either fizzle and die, or bang or just does a little fart and dies

RE: Monitor problem - Fluffyball - 10-14-2014

I think things became a lot funnier now. There's a high possibility it could be caused by cable. Why? Well, when I connected cable to TV, it looked like the cable was missing Blue from RGB scale.

There's a possibility it's cable fault, yet also a possibility that both are broken. They are kinda old (8 years?)