Discovery Gaming Community
A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) (/showthread.php?tid=121687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) - Doc Holliday - 10-13-2014

"So how many days will you be with us, Mein Herr?" asked the dock master at New Berlin's space port.
"I'm not sure," answered Doc, "but a few days anyway."
"Mind if I ask what it's about?" inquired the dock master.
"I do mind. It's a patient," answered Doc.
"Very well. Your ship will be safe here when you return," re-assured the dock master.
With that, Doc went to await further instruction to the Von Ludwigsberg home.

As Doc waited, he went through the notes he had taken. He knew little about this family except that for Commander Hildagert von Ludwigsberg, her family had struggled mightily since the death of her husband at the hands of the Liberty Navy.
She herself had suffered a miscarriage due to the stress. As tragic as it was, her daughter, Gretel, was worse. Physically, she was normal and in good health but mentally, she was heavily withdrawn having not gotten out of a deep trance since the miscarriage. Doc would have his hands full as both would need psychiatric help, something he wasn't well versed in. He was disciplined, after all, a pediatrician, family practice and dentistry. Matters of the mind? Well, that was something else.

Adding to the challenge was the fact that Doc hadn't packed nor planned to stay long term at any one place, let alone a cold area such as New Berlin. It was snowing when he landed and was in need of a coat. Lodging, however, became a non-issue when Hildagert offered up a guest room in her home so that he could stay close to them. At least he wouldn't have to rent a room at an inn long term, something he only did when he came on a rare ski trip.

He reviewed his notes as he waited, waited for a ride from his host.

RE: A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) - APDAF - 10-13-2014

Soon a large black Daumann built limo glides to a halt in front of Doc.
"Get in Herr Doktor..." The soft sounding voice of Hildagart was heard from the rolled down rear window.
"Gretel is back home with her Nanny..." She sighs knowing that even someone as close as her nanny or even her own mother cannot bring Gretel out of her trance.
"I hope you can help her... und me too..." Hilda opened the door for him.
"You better get in before it gets too cold Herr Doktor..." Doc would be able to see how plush the interior of the limo was after the door was opened, while Hilda was still in her Rheinland Military uniform giving the look she means business.
"So... would you like a drink Herr Doktor?" She asked him.

RE: A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) - Doc Holliday - 10-13-2014

"I would love one," he answered her, "a little brandy if you have it."
He got comfortable in the limo and complemented the car. "My limo, if you'll call it that, was one of your military vehicles custom ordered on Munich some time ago. I still have it."

Taking a sip of the brandy, he gave a kind look to Hildagart, "I'll be up front. I am going to do my best to help you, Gretel and the rest of your family. If I must, I will call for someone who is more suited to this kind of medical work. Still, with my experience helping Bretonian refugee children at Port Canaria while Bretonia and Kusari were at war, I think I can help."
He smiled softly, his smile of care if you will, "And it's nice to be in Rheinland helping someone again. The last time I did so I wound up taking a young girl from Hamburg and turning her into my protoge."

He looked at the Rheinland officer in front of him. He saw the all business appearance she carried. "I hope I'm not being too forward with this but you could help us both by relaxing a bit. I'm no threat to you. I'm here to help."

Hilda knocked on the glass pane behind her and the limo started off.
"Forgive mien attire... I did not have die time to change..."
She takes some Schnapps before continuing.
"Ja I heard about die kinder during the Tau War..." She sighs before looking out the window.
"At least... they had you from die beginning... unlike... Gretel..." She looks back at him.
"You are not called die gut Doktor for nothing..." She taps on the window again.
"What is this... holiday... drive faster..." The limo starts driving a lot faster.
"I hope to Gott... that you can make Gretel... be that little girl I... used to now..." She wipes some tears from her eyes.
"I... don't know what to... do anymore..."

RE: A House Call: A Family In Need (//RP with APDAF only) - Doc Holliday - 10-13-2014

As they rode...and rode faster, he listened.
"They didn't all have me from the beginning there," he explained, "Port Jackson as it became known didn't become a refugee camp until mid way through the war. Men, women and children came by the thousands and many are still there with their new war with Gallia."
"Oddly enough," he continued, "it wasn't the psychological scars that the children had to deal with so much as it was abusive parents, parents who couldn't handle what they had lost and took it out on their children. That, Ms, was my biggest challenge."

He looked at her uniform. In a way, he was examining her.
"I mean no offense by this but that uniform in the eyes of Gretel may be, well, a symbol of what's wrong. To her it just means war, Mom's way of life, a way of life that has already taken one parent, an unborn sister and may well take her mother. I suggested that you turn your ship over to your second in command and take some leave. Your children need Mom, not Commander Ludwigsberg. Consider that my first prescription."
He took a sip of his brandy, "And if your government doesn't understand that, well....."
He held his tongue as he had some harsh feelings for governments and all of their warring. He was, after all, present to help and didn't want to offend.

Hilda nods at what Doc said to her.
"Ja... maybe all she sees is Krieg.... whenever she sees me in uniform..." She sighs and keeps repeating herself.
"Krieg.... Krieg.... K..Krieg..." She seems to stiffen up.
"Krieg... that is all I can think about... I..I..." A tear rolls down her face.
"I... want... mien little... Gretel... back... b..before... der Krieg takes... me too..." Doc can see that she has a lot of pent up emotion.
"I want... I..." Her tears start streaming out now unable to hold it in anymore.
"I... just... want... to be a... gut... Mutter..."

He could only look. Instinct wanted him to give her the hug she probably needed but he wasn't sure about a lot of things right now. He figured that they would be at her residence soon enough for one of her sons to handle that part. He just offered the handkerchief in his pocket.

"I take it Krieg was his name," he asked calmly. He then sat forward a bit, "Hildagart, you can't help Gretel until you help yourself, something I will help you with. Gretel needs your strength."

For the moment, he felt powerless. The best he could do with his instinct right now was to give her that soft, re-assuring smile that he found very effective in the past.

Hilda tensed up.
"Gunter... his... name was Gunter!" She tries to wipe the tears away.
"I know... Gretel... needs mien strength... but..." She almost slams her fist into the arm of the chair.
"I... don't... know how to be... strong anymore..." She sighs.
"Apart from... when I am... on die battlefield..." The limo stops.
"Well... we are here... now..." She quickly wipes her face.
"You go und see Gretel while I change out of die uniform..." Her door was opened by the driver.
"She should be in die sitting room... with her Nanny..." She quickly got out of the limo and quickly into the large house the it was parked in front of.

Doc entered the house as well. It was large and well kept. He had two bags with him, setting them by a chair as he entered. It wasn't long before he saw the Nanny and Gretel.
"Guten tag," he said kindly to the Nanny as he introduced himself. His Rheinlandic was limited to a few phrases so he hoped that she understood. For the moment, they were the only persons about.

The Nanny sat holding Gretel and Doc just encouraged her to do so for the moment.
"Gretel," Doc said kindly to her with a soft smile as he took a knee near her, "....or Pearl if you like." He gently placed a kind hand on her shoulder, hoping she wouldn't get frightened. "I am John. I want to be your friend.....you, your Mom and all who are here." He paused a moment as he tried to be gentle with her, "So, can we be friends? It's a start."

"Guten tag... Herr Doktor..." The Nanny said to him as he made his way to Gretel.
"She hasn't changed..." The Nanny said before she went out the room.
Gretel looks at Doc with her almost dead look in her eyes a tail of spittle is coming from the corner of her mouth, she blinks as Doc places his hand on her shoulder but the look in her eyes didn't change until he spoke.
"A... a..." She made a slight noise but nothing intelligible.
"V... V...a..." She seems to just zone out even more before she looked back at Doc.
"M... Ma..." A very slight spark enters her eyes for a very short moment before leaving.
"I heard she is making her noises again..." The Nanny came back into the room with a drinks tray but Gretel looked away from Doc zoning out once more.
"I cannot tell what they mean..." The Nanny sighs.