Discovery Gaming Community
Newbie on the Forums - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Newbie on the Forums (/showthread.php?tid=121887)

Pages: 1 2

Newbie on the Forums - Ellie - 10-18-2014

Greetings Everyone,

I played the Original Freelancer Campaign back in 2011, and I have been enjoying playing on the RP server for a few months now. I am mostly involved in trading, mining and a little bit of smuggling. Role play is not my strong point, so if anyone has any tips on how to improve, they will be greatly appreciated.

I am very new to the forums, but hope to learn a lot and make a positive contribution to the community.

Thanks everyone, and see you in space

EDIT: Name changed for various reasons

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Lythrilux - 10-18-2014

Welcome! Enjoy your stay.

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Corile - 10-18-2014

The name doe.

Hello.

RE: Newbie on the Forums - FynnMcScrap - 10-18-2014

Ah... tips on RP.

Well, I suppose we have about as much opinions on that as we have players.

In short : avoid Powergaming ( setting up a situation in wich you deny another character the possibility of reacting freely as he sees fit )
And : avoid Metagaming ( knowing about things you do not know about in character. Like reading a post with a police character and acting according to this knowledge with a pirate character )

Fact is : Rules are important to ceep gaming balanced, but they also restrict RP.
The trick is to stay inside the rules and conventions, but still *living out your dreams and ideas*.
Most roleplayers tend to fall in love for their own characters, and it´s hard to loose, hard not to *do what you like* ...
and essentially thats the whole secret of *good RP*

Find your own balance, let others play and dream while you play and dream yourself.
A nice tip I always give is actually a quote from Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort :
Freely translated : Do what you like , as long as you harm nobody. That is the secret of freedom.

All you post , all you do : it will interact with the stories and ideas of others.
And how it will work you only learn by trying.
In a RP ... there are no real winners or loosers. Only gamers.
We all write a story... if you play to win, somebody looses.
If he looses interest you loose a player, and the ability to play on.

Well met ;-)

Rob

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Alexander - 10-19-2014

Welcome !

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Deeceem - 10-19-2014

Hey, welcome!

Even though you already play here for a few months I'd dare to guess you can find quite some helpful things in the tutorials subforum.

Regarding roleplay specifically... There is a thread somewhere... here, which covers a good portion of roleplay related things, which might interest you then.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Ellie - 10-29-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:55 PM)FynnMcScrap Wrote: Ah... tips on RP.

Well, I suppose we have about as much opinions on that as we have players.

In short : avoid Powergaming ( setting up a situation in wich you deny another character the possibility of reacting freely as he sees fit )
And : avoid Metagaming ( knowing about things you do not know about in character. Like reading a post with a police character and acting according to this knowledge with a pirate character )

Fact is : Rules are important to ceep gaming balanced, but they also restrict RP.
The trick is to stay inside the rules and conventions, but still *living out your dreams and ideas*.
Most roleplayers tend to fall in love for their own characters, and it´s hard to loose, hard not to *do what you like* ...
and essentially thats the whole secret of *good RP*

Find your own balance, let others play and dream while you play and dream yourself.
A nice tip I always give is actually a quote from Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort :
Freely translated : Do what you like , as long as you harm nobody. That is the secret of freedom.

All you post , all you do : it will interact with the stories and ideas of others.
And how it will work you only learn by trying.
In a RP ... there are no real winners or loosers. Only gamers.
We all write a story... if you play to win, somebody looses.
If he looses interest you loose a player, and the ability to play on.

Well met ;-)

Rob

(10-19-2014, 10:20 AM)Deeceem Wrote: Hey, welcome!

Even though you already play here for a few months I'd dare to guess you can find quite some helpful things in the tutorials subforum.

Regarding roleplay specifically... There is a thread somewhere... here, which covers a good portion of roleplay related things, which might interest you then.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

Thanks so much for the information guys

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Timmy - 10-29-2014

One advise about forums, do not visit Flood section Wink

RE: Newbie on the Forums - FynnMcScrap - 10-29-2014

Flood is BAD

BAD is FUN

FUN RULEZ !

RE: Newbie on the Forums - Timmy - 10-29-2014

Pretty much summary of it xD