Discovery Gaming Community
Rational Jump Trade - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Rational Jump Trade (/showthread.php?tid=122048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Fluffyball - 10-22-2014

(10-22-2014, 10:37 AM)Alley Wrote: Toji-Haku : It's the cloak trial phase that ended, right after we started the Jump Trial. Check out the news section.
This is why I stroke the first line. Smile

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Chrystoph - 10-22-2014

(10-22-2014, 10:17 AM)Toji-Haku Wrote: Trial week? I've read it wasn't trial week, but it was dropped off pernamently.

However, I like the idea, because only Militaries would have access to that, so, if you really want to jumptrade, get a pack of at least 5 traders, ask military (KNF for example, if you are Samura, Kishiro, even GMG or freelance Kusari company - such as KTA) and there you go.

That make no sense.

First, the restriction on size is absurd since a warship is even bigger than the ships that cannot jump.

Second, the suggestion:
  • Makes the military into a taxi service for traders (Not their job)
  • Subordinates the military to trade corporations (Not their job)
  • Encourages Indy military (which I thought we were trying to reduce by making it more desirable to be faction members).

If you trot out the, "only factions get capital ships" next, I would suggest that you are well on the way to an exclusive, and dying, community.

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Chrystoph - 10-22-2014

(10-22-2014, 09:37 AM)Snoopy Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 02:19 AM)John Wildkins Wrote: Wait, what? When did that get announced? AFAIK it was only Barges and transports > 3,600, and that was only for two weeks as a trial period.

That's exactly right. At least, that's what it said in the news and announcements. You guys can still jump fireflies. I don't know why you're complaining.

Because the artificial limitation imposed doesn't make sense? I mean, if you don't pew anyway, then not being able to use a bigger trader isn't going to make you MORE likely to pew.

(10-22-2014, 11:44 AM)Chrystoph Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 10:17 AM)Toji-Haku Wrote: Trial week? I've read it wasn't trial week, but it was dropped off pernamently.

However, I like the idea, because only Militaries would have access to that, so, if you really want to jumptrade, get a pack of at least 5 traders, ask military (KNF for example, if you are Samura, Kishiro, even GMG or freelance Kusari company - such as KTA) and there you go.

That make no sense.

First, the restriction on size is absurd since a warship is even bigger than the ships that cannot jump.

Second, the suggestion:
  • Makes the military into a taxi service for traders (Not their job)
  • Subordinates the military to trade corporations (Not their job)
  • Encourages Indy military (which I thought we were trying to reduce by making it more desirable to be faction members).

If you trot out the, "only factions get capital ships" next, I would suggest that you are well on the way to an exclusive, and dying, community.

There was nothing about warships. In the news, only transports >3600 and trains are restricted from that.
Edit: It is more about the fact that jumptrading distrupts roleplay. In my opinion, it should be REVERSED; it makes no sense, because THE CORPORATIONS should have ability to jump, not small vessels, who are not included into corporations. Some common logic here, because of the powercore alone.

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Thyrzul - 10-22-2014

(10-22-2014, 12:29 PM)Toji-Haku Wrote: Some common logic here

The more mass you have to jump the less stable the jump will be, to compensate that there are already jump stabilizers, which are still not so frequent military-grade equipment and are in use solely on warships. Small ships do not require stabilizers, warships are built with those already included. Plenty of inRP explaination why massive shipping vessels (stuff above 3,6k cargo) are excluded from the elite club of jumpers.

(10-22-2014, 02:21 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:

The more mass you have to jump the less stable the jump will be, to compensate that there are already jump stabilizers, which are still not so frequent military-grade equipment and are in use solely on warships. Small ships do not require stabilizers, warships are built with those already included. Plenty of inRP explaination why massive shipping vessels (stuff above 3,6k cargo) are excluded from the elite club of jumpers.

+1 Thank you for clarification. Smile

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Laura C. - 10-22-2014

(10-22-2014, 11:46 AM)Chrystoph Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 02:19 AM)John Wildkins Wrote: Wait, what? When did that get announced? AFAIK it was only Barges and transports > 3,600, and that was only for two weeks as a trial period.

That's exactly right. At least, that's what it said in the news and announcements. You guys can still jump fireflies. I don't know why you're complaining.

Because the artificial limitation imposed doesn't make sense? I mean, if you don't pew anyway, then not being able to use a bigger trader isn't going to make you MORE likely to pew.

This is RPG game. And every RPG game must find balance between " this make sense" on one side and "this doesn´t harm the gameplay much" on the other side. Unrestricted jump trading made more harm than good to gameplay because in majority of cases it reduced interaction between traders and pirates/unlawfuls because traders instead of going through several systems were jumping to and back between two or three systems (and very often even off the plane to do maximum to avoid any interaction).

Interaction between traders and pirates is one of the key parts of server ingame life cycle so it needs to be protected.

RE: Rational Jump Trade - nOmnomnOm - 10-22-2014

and thus making jumping almost utterly useless since the whole time we had it on the server I didn't hear of accounts that military factions used it.

Hell why cant outcasts and corsairs use it!!! Then they won't @#$%& about their "too many systems" problem.

Retract what I said about useless. Replace with not being used by military .

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Chrystoph - 10-23-2014

(10-22-2014, 02:21 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:

Given that the military are not doing the building since PoBs normally make the drives and the majority of them are NOT military, why would anyone buy into the notion that the military shipyards install a technology that they don't know how to make and the people that make the tech cannot use it?

Can we at least try for a reasonable suspension of disbelief?

RE: Rational Jump Trade - Chrystoph - 10-23-2014

(10-22-2014, 03:26 PM)Laura C. Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 11:46 AM)Chrystoph Wrote:

This is RPG game. And every RPG game must find balance between " this make sense" on one side and "this doesn´t harm the gameplay much" on the other side. Unrestricted jump trading made more harm than good to gameplay because in majority of cases it reduced interaction between traders and pirates/unlawfuls because traders instead of going through several systems were jumping to and back between two or three systems (and very often even off the plane to do maximum to avoid any interaction).

Interaction between traders and pirates is one of the key parts of server ingame life cycle so it needs to be protected.

I would REALLY like some one to explain to me how a single stranger demanding, "Gimme (money/cargo) or die!" then flying off is RP while spending time with a group of friends setting up a trading event is not.

"Legitimate traders avoiding pirates is bad for the server, so the pirates need to be given artificial advantages." Is that an accurate paraphrase of the above? Just making sure I understood what you are saying. If so, would you PLEASE explain to me what the benefit of piracy is to the server? The SERVER, ergo the community, not the individual.