Discovery Gaming Community
End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict (/showthread.php?tid=122070)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Rodent - 10-25-2014

End it.

It's one of the single most pointless conflicts on the server.To the point where if I ask the [LN] faction what this war is all about, they actually have to go look it up...it's about that thing in New Hampshire, if you've forgotten. It's in Liberty's hands, so the war should effectively be done.

Besides, the poll has spoken with nearly 75% in favor, but the posts around here seem to be mostly coming from a very vocal minority, as is usually the case. Rheinland should have plenty of enemies to fight (in theory) with the corsairs and hessians both being major problems.

However, the arguments used in here interest me. Is the conflict being fun more important than the conflict making sense or having some roleplay background behind it? The Minority screams yes. However, let me take that logic and transport it to other factions. Why doesn't Kusari declare war on Liberty? Sense...? None. Fun....probably. And then Bretonia can declare war on Kusari again. It can be an all-out furball of fighting with no reasoning but it will be fun.

I don't particularly care that the server has progressively shied away from loosely resembling a roleplay environment, but if we're going to base our decisions on this logic now, might as well remove 'roleplay' from the forum's titles and mark it as that quirky server where you have to say a couple of sentences before engaging people.

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Mímir - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 07:00 AM)Rodent Wrote: End it.

It's one of the single most pointless conflicts on the server.

It's perhaps the only conflict on the server that is actually played out in-game, so evidently it is not pointless at all.

Yes, I know you are talking story, where I am talking gameplay, but here is where I think Disco devs should focus on story/lore development to support player activity, rather than stomp it out.

tl;dr: If the only active and played-out conflict is 'pointless' due to some story, then develop the story!

P.S. Also please never ever ever ever use polls on this forum as an indication of anything. You are talking about a 'vocal minority' but are forgetting the heaps of players that participate in the Rheinland-Liberty conflict without having any interest in the forum. I know it's not your intention, but your argument is extremely manipulative.

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Jtan911 - 10-25-2014

If you haven't noticed, all conflicts are generally pointless inRP or in RL, causing thousands or millions of casualties, for little to no gain.

However in games conflict stirs activity. RE: Liberty-Rheinland war sure its been carrying on for ages, sure the original purpose has been lost. IMO dont stop this war, shake it up a little perhaps. although last time this happened *cough* Destruction of gates *cough* everyone really moaned, so definately be careful on that note. if you want to end this war don't do so immediately. create other warzones that gradually become more interesting so that if or when this war for arguments sake ends, people don't go "oh well my chars are useless now, bye discovery!" and they dwindling player count drops further.

in summary, don't end war without spending time-In game time-getting other warzones setup and gaining momentum before winding this down

BTW i voted no to this as and here is my explanation

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Rodent - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 07:47 AM)Jtan911 Wrote:

If you haven't noticed, all conflicts are generally pointless inRP or in RL, causing thousands or millions of casualties, for little to no gain.

However in games conflict stirs activity. RE: Liberty-Rheinland war sure its been carrying on for ages, sure the original purpose has been lost. IMO dont stop this war, shake it up a little perhaps. although last time this happened *cough* Destruction of gates *cough* everyone really moaned, so definately be careful on that note. if you want to end this war don't do so immediately. create other warzones that gradually become more interesting so that if or when this war for arguments sake ends, people don't go "oh well my chars are useless now, bye discovery!" and they dwindling player count drops further.

in summary, don't end war without spending time-In game time-getting other warzones setup and gaining momentum before winding this down

BTW i voted no to this as and here is my explanation

Wars may or may not be pointless. I'd hate to see you say that to someone who fought in World War II. However, any war fought in history has an element which discovery has failed to emulate in any shape or form. Wars are dynamic while they last. Territory is taken, lost. Generals pit tactics against each other, are sometimes saved by blind luck. There are catastrophic losses due to natural events et cetera.

The only dynamic event that really happened in this war was Westfalen being switched to LN temporarily. And the vile and repulsive behavior I personally witnessed from Rheinland players in response to that put me off the entire thing. The point here is, war can be made interesting if changes keep being made to battlefields, with territory rapidly changing hands back and forth. But from past experience, the community is just too immature to handle such things. Flip Hamburg to LN for a bit after a fleet action. Or do it to Texas, let's keep all options open. I can assure you that the tears will be real regardless of where you make the change.

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - evanz - 10-25-2014

How about, kusari allies with gallia, rheinland allies with liberty to hold a line so to speak, and bretonia still gets invaded from behind..hang on that didnt sound right, i meant bretonia gets further infiltrated.....oh im gonna stop, but you know what i mean

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Timmy - 10-25-2014

Okay, while I was sleeping there was a lot of b/s said in here I don't even wanna quote this. Where are those "facts" you say are coming from? After nomad war Rheinland Fleet was purgued? Wat? By wat? By who? If you say they were sucked into that big tinker hole Trent made, how come the nomads still exist? And why Liberty ships weren't purgued, they were second most affected house? Bretonia having most powerful fleet? What? Their fleet have been constantly being nailed by Rheinland in vanilia. Rheinland literately owned whole sirius apart of Liberty which have been infected as well. What are you damn talking aboot?

Also, Rod, end this conflict, then what?

(10-25-2014, 10:18 AM)evanz Wrote: How about, kusari allies with gallia, rheinland allies with liberty to hold a line so to speak, and bretonia still gets invaded from behind..hang on that didnt sound right, i meant bretonia gets further infiltrated.....oh im gonna stop, but you know what i mean

Rheinland allies with Liberty? Seriously? Gallia have far more chanses in being Rheinland allie, as RP in that dirrection have been done several times. What I can not say about Liberty, which RP goes only to the Gallian runaway Valor... and that's it. The rest of Liberty RP is chitchat with Rogues and the lore writen by developers. Ah yes, and fake capture of IMG freeport...

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Player - 10-25-2014

I guess, for action game, like "Freelancer", need sides and conflict.

PS: we lost hispanian Alpha-Gamma activity, for example

RE: End of the Liberty-Rheinland conflict - Vredes - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 10:58 AM)Player Wrote: I guess, for action game, like "Freelancer", need sides and conflict.

PS: we lost hispanian Alpha-Gamma activity, for example

We lost a vanilia conflict in fact. Now Corsairs have a greateer struggle with the Hessians than with the Outcasts.

(10-25-2014, 11:33 AM)Vredes Wrote: We lost a vanilia conflict in fact. Now Corsairs have a greateer struggle with the Hessians than with the Outcasts.

What struggle? Haven't seen any corsairs playing the game. And the only RHA I seen yesterday seemed to be just metagaming a kills.