Discovery Gaming Community
A Call to Identify - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: A Call to Identify (/showthread.php?tid=122533)

Pages: 1 2

A Call to Identify - Teerin - 11-05-2014

The fortnightly closed doors meeting of the Parrain and Tribuns of the Unione Corse Famille Senat came to an end. Chloe Durand stood up from her spot at the table, reshuffling her papers in preparation to head out. One of the main topics of conversation today was the recent and sudden expansion of relations between the Corse and Samura Heavy Industries. While the Senateurs were largely in favor of this - it meant more money to them, after all - Chloe felt that Kusari was politically unstable. Unpredictable problems with trade and accessibility are likely to arise.

Even more so, this was a show of force by the Armed Division Command. Do they need to wait for our deliberation? Seems not. Durand despises any notion of the Senat being unimportant "window dressing" ... it was set up for a reason after all, no?

Tribun La'Biere was the first to make it to the door, nodding his head to Parrain Ricard on his way out. The Parrain, rather absorbed in the work he was doing on his computer terminal, didn't take much notice. D'Keur and Nivalgo were chatting to each other in the corner, but with their lowered voices, Chloe couldn't make out the words.

Realizing that she had frozen in place a bit too long to glance around the room at them, she put her head down and finished packing her papers. Poitoux departed next, then eventually the other two gentlemen as well. Durand approached the Parrain, but was silent for a moment, not knowing how to phrase what she wanted to say.

Durand glanced back to the door, which was just easing shut as the voices of the others faded down the hallway. As Lucas finished typing and looked up, Chloe tentatively asked him, "I apologize for bringing this up in private, monsieur. I'm curious to know your thoughts on what has been going on lately ... do you think that the general and commandants are within their authority?"

Knowing he was technically part of the Armed Command, but below the commandants in rank, she thought his insight might prove valuable if he wasn't too close to the others.

RE: A Call to Identify - Remnant - 11-15-2014

The man glances up slowly hearing Chloe approach him. That was different, normally he wasn't bothered very much unless it included his job somehow.

"I apologize for bringing this up in private, monsieur. I'm curious to know your thoughts on what has been going on lately ... do you think that the general and commandants are within their authority?"

Lucas crosses his arms slowly hearing this. "There are many questions that can be answered if you're bringing up that subject, many besides the one you've given me. Are they acting within their authority? Probably. A decision like this does fall to what they are allowed to do. Although perhaps they should have a few more layers of conversation before arriving to a straight decision like they have."

Slowly beginning to pull all of his belongings together.

"While they are thinking on what is being offered, I believe that instead the thought should be brought up about what will happen in the future. Over the long run, an unstable business venture will last shortly. However choosing a partner which manages to keep afloat without any effort at all, will yield very much more than what could be gotten alternatively.

Authority, that's what higher-ups are for. Correct reasoning? Who knows. It all depends how smart those in office above are really that makes the difference. Oh by all means, don't take me as calling them stupid. They wouldn't be sitting where they are if so. I feel they are merely a little.. Ahh.. how do I say this.. Rushed on this particular venture. Nothing that can't be cleaned up in the future I suppose.

I don't know if that's the answer you're looking for. I try to involve myself with the future events and how to fix things if they go awry. I merely take the present as it comes.

Probably not what you're looking for though, I apologize.

RE: A Call to Identify - Teerin - 11-22-2014

She wasn't quite expecting the philosophical reply from him, and was also shocked by the apparent lack of ambition. He did, however, show some doubt ... Chloe waited for him to finish responding.

His monologue drew to a close with, "I don't know if that's the answer you're looking for. I try to involve myself with the future events and how to fix things if they go awry. I merely take the present as it comes. Probably not what you're looking for though, I apologize."

"Not exactly what I was looking for, no. Glad to know you're interested in fixing issues, though," began the Tribun. She paused for a second to gather her thoughts as Ricard finished collecting his things, and stood up. Durand then went on, "Matters within the Corse are somewhat broken, however, as a result of the Armed Command overstretching themselves. I know it's a bold accusation, but let me continue."

"Although their infractions upon the Senat's authority have never been truly audacious, this has been going on for quite some time. Working closer with the Royal Navy by signing onto their Termination Commission, the mess of a contract with the Syndicate's Onyx Bazaar, and unilaterally setting up that first contract within Liberty are just a few examples. Not that they've always forwent our advice, but still,"
she reasoned, recalling the support the Senat showed for many other matters, such as the friendship with the Independent Miners' Guild. By this time, they were into the hallway outside of the room. Ricard, having held the door for her like a gentleman, caught back up.

She looked down to the end of the hall, above the elevator doors, where there was a small display panel. The other Tribuns were at the ground level then. As they walked towards the lift, she finished speaking her thoughts. "But still," she repeated, "even a few instances can have important, perhaps harmful repercussions, and the Famille Senat ought not be rendered obsolete. We don't even know the general's real name, for goodness' sake. Are things awry enough for a fix, Parrain?"

RE: A Call to Identify - Remnant - 12-02-2014

Listening to her curiously. The man slowly folds his hands in front of him, rubbing the back of his hand with the thumb of his opposite. Seeming to be a habit when he was thinking something through. He occasionally glances around the area they were in, before letting out a quiet breath. Slowly turning his attention back to the female in front of him.

"It's true that this system is not ideal. There isn't very much clarity, something I really didn't want to get into very much since I was able to do my own work. I was, and still am never one for making a big change. At least not in an active sense. Gradual subliminal changes which people hardly notice is something that I enjoy putting my mind to.

I cannot deny that things could be.. ahh.. better. May I ask before you take your leave, if you have anything in mind to deal with your fears within the system? The fact that you're talking to me about it appears that you either want help or another opinion. I'm open to listen to you. Improvement isn't something which can be turned down. If something can be better than it is now, it should take a change.

You can't say that everything they've done is wrong. I must be a little fair with them as well in this situation. Ignoring the words of others who have a say, and being outright terrible are two different things."

RE: A Call to Identify - Teerin - 12-04-2014

After she finished speaking, the Parrain began to visibly contemplate what she told him. Having pressed the 'up' button mere moments earlier, the lift descended to meet them. Looking back at her, he began to speak, rolling out his thoughts. The walked through the now open elevator doors, and the ground floor was selected, but neither of them really paid too much attention to their surroundings.

"I did not say all of what they did was wrong, Lucas. You're also right about me wanting help or another opinion, except the conjunction I'll use is and. D'Keur and La'Biere are likely going to support the general in almost any matter, so there won't be a drastic vote made against them," she noted. Four Tribuns out of five are required to remove a person from their position, after all - which was normally reasonable.

She paused to think about how to continue. They realized the doors were open again, elevator idle. Walking through the building's atrium into the main lobby, she went on, "I stumbled across his file once, when inside the secure Library aboard Libra, and, struck with curiosity, I checked other supplementary materials. Before he became a member in 729, he simply did not exist. When the Council broke through to Tunisia in 733, he disappeared, then came back nearly a year later into a position of leadership."

"I understand that he has been, for the most part, a decent leader," she remarked, "but without knowing who he is, it makes me worry a grand scheme is going on. These latest infringements on the Senat's authority made me decide to act ... I'm not exactly sure how to proceed, but I can talk to someone who is close with a commandant. I know this is a lot to ask of you, but if you're interested in doing more than watching his activities more intently, collecting a sample of his DNA will likely be key to identifying him."

RE: A Call to Identify - Remnant - 02-18-2015

Lucas nods his head, stopping at the entrance to the building they are in.
"You're playing a risky game. Even coming and asking me about it was risky enough. Conspiracy of any sort is rather sketchy to be chasing after, even at the best of intentions. You're rather lucky that i'm quite interested in this as well. While as I have explained, i'm more than willing to merely let the others do whatever the hell they want, fixing any issues that I see on my own time and progressing on my own.. I do agree that it's perhaps a good idea to know who we're working with. Who a person claims to be, is one thing. For many people, it might be the only important thing as well. Although background.."

Sliding his hands in his pockets. "I'll see what I can do." Smirking slightly. "After all, you just gotta visit his barber or something." A man has to get his hair cut now and then. Of course he was kidding, it probably wasn't going to be that easy. Letting out a quiet breath.

"Leave me to my thing for the time being. I'll see what I can come up with. I'll be in contact once I decide to actually do something about it. Is there anything else I should know? Perhaps anything you're leaving out? If you want me involved in something like this, i'm not going to stand here and work when there's more that you're leaving out. Merely a precaution both to make whatever I decide to do easier, and make sure that you yourself aren't up to anything odd."

RE: A Call to Identify - Teerin - 02-19-2015

Something was activated inside Ricard, as if he was concealing interest beforehand. Having halted at the entrance, Chloe rested one arm on the door handle as she was spoken to at length by her superior. She nodded a few times, then grinned at Lucas' joke. The Tribun then opened the door, and they proceeded outside together.

They paused again, as he began to finish up. " ... anything odd," he concluded.

Durand put her gloves on, then started speaking, "All I'm seeking is the truth here, Parrain. The General has gone too far, and we must react. If you're looking for something else, Tribun Poitoux could be helpful to us. Yet be careful, and don't tell her everything, or at least not at first. While she may have once been his opponent, there's no telling how loyal she truly is. And we certainly don't want this to turn into a conflict."

"Anything else, before I head off to the shuttle stop?"
she asked.

RE: A Call to Identify - Remnant - 02-19-2015

The weather was rather good today.. Plenty warm. Just the way he liked it. Walking with her slowly. "You're asking me to do something which is quite outside of my standards. I suppose I am not unlike our dear General in some perspectives. I like to do things my own way. This being partially why I hold no interest whatsoever in climbing our metaphorical ladder which we have called rank.

I'm allowed to sit here and operate as I feel best for the Corse. Of course it's risky. Once I make a mistake, it'll probably be time to take my leave. You asking me to meet with someone else to help on a cause such as this is turning more and more into a more aggressive conspiracy rather than a passive one. I'm unsure if I like that kind of thinking or not."

Taking a few moments to collect his thoughts together again. "Very well. I'll see the Tribun. I'm reserving full rights to act on my own on this one as well however. I'm sure you could do this with a larger amount of effort without me if I lose interest."

Shaking his head to the final question. "I don't think I need anything else. Thank you.."

RE: A Call to Identify - Teerin - 02-21-2015

Lucas rambled a little more before finally shaking his head, and answering her question, "I don't think I need anything else. Thank you ... "

"Adieu, mon ami," Chloe spoke, tying up the somewhat overdrawn conversation. She half-bowed her head in respect for the man who lead the Unione Corse Famille Senat, then proceeded to walk at an average pace along the street towards the nearest shuttle stop. The Corsican checked the time listings: the next shuttle would arrive in just under ten minutes.

Pleased with the relatively short wait time, she sat down at the bench and mulled over how she would approach Selan Maxim.

RE: A Call to Identify - Exdeathevn - 03-06-2015

Gazing out at the slowly darkening sky, Selan clicked the button on the house-control remote, closing the windows to seal off the afternoon chill, the curtains from prying eyes, and flicking on the lights.

Her house on Planet Amiens was a mostly simple one, with few personal items if you didn't count Arek's things. An adjoining lounge, dinette and kitchen connected at the back of the building, with a hallway leading to the main entrance and bedrooms. The walls were mostly bare aside from a painting of the Gallic King seated upon his throne, a gift from Selan's pro-royalist parents. It hung on the wall opposite the lounge vidscreen, partly to appease her family whenever they called but also to disguise the hole in the wall where and old wrought-iron safe had been installed.

Checking the time on her wristwatch (which displayed 4:56pm), Selan swung the painting aside, unlocked the safe, and pulled out a frequency turner. Within a few seconds she had used it to tune the screen's Neuralnet-Communication link so that it would connect to the Corsican frequencies and replaced the turner back inside the safe. Knowing Arek, she could expect another pre-recorded message explaining that he had gone on another shipment run somewhere, but it was still worth taking the time to check for any other news on less public channels.

She had just finished recording the latest economic data for Arek after reviewing Tau space traffic reports when a message alert beeped onto the corner of the screen. Expecting it to be from Arek, she ignored it for a few minutes while she finished catching up on a short tech report from an engineering friend who was working maintenance on her ship before opening it.

Madame Selan,
I'd like to meet with you early this evening at your Amiens residence, just after my meeting. There's something I wish to discuss in private, as friends ... I'll try to be there at five, apologies ahead of time if I run a little late.
Merci for your time, mon ami.
- Chloe

With a quick glance at her wristwatch, noting that the time was now 5:17pm, Selan switched the vidscreen off and went to put the kettle on in the kitchen.