Discovery Gaming Community
A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets (/showthread.php?tid=123017)

A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - nOmnomnOm - 11-20-2014

So... Guns/Turrets firing forward that's fine and all... But then what exactly is the point of having backward firing turrets on a snub that cant zoom out to TS properly? I mean really it will only do minimal damage if your opponent is actually good and not following directly behind you constantly.

I dont know.. I have not used the feature of a backwards-firing turret much to know about if its actually efficient to try in a fight. Is it? Or is it just not worth having?

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Karst - 11-20-2014

Well....it can absorb the occasional SNAC. That's the entirety of their usefulness.

Except, of course, for NPCs.

Edit: Actually, you can also mount a mining turret for crosshair-free aiming.

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Technogeist - 11-20-2014

You will never hit anyone who is decent and on your tail while also dodging that person. If they fly in a straight line, they are AFK anyways.

Also turrets throw off your forward firing aim I do believe.

I never mount turrets unless they fire forwards.

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Haste - 11-20-2014

(11-20-2014, 08:14 PM)Karst Wrote: mount a mining turret for crosshair-free aiming.

This is pretty neat on fighters against players that are overly reliant on their WASD keys to win the game.

Also, imagine, there was a time when "Zooming out to TS properly" wasn't actually a thing, and players still had to do their own aiming!

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - nOmnomnOm - 11-21-2014

(11-20-2014, 08:21 PM)Haste Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 08:14 PM)Karst Wrote: mount a mining turret for crosshair-free aiming.

This is pretty neat on fighters against players that are overly reliant on their WASD keys to win the game.

Also, imagine, there was a time when "Zooming out to TS properly" wasn't actually a thing, and players still had to do their own aiming!

The problem is u cant see anything when u go into turret steer with a snub. You have no orientation... so wahts the point of backwards fire? *sigh*

The only thing i can think of is shooting backwards to kill a lane... but there are mines for that.

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Derkylos - 11-21-2014

Shooting backwards to kill a lane you've just dropped out of...costs less and is more reliable than mines Tongue

Also, they can very rarely absorb that SNAC that would instakill you...

(11-20-2014, 08:15 PM)Technogeist Wrote: Also turrets throw off your forward firing aim I do believe.

Only if the turret has a different projectile speed than the rest of your guns

Also, rear firing mining turret allows you to fight and mine in the same ship without sacrificing firepower (although you probably won't get the same mining bonuses as a dedicated miner...unless CSV)

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - SnakThree - 11-21-2014

If it were in my power, all snubcrafts would lose their turret slots while forward firing ones getting switched for gun mount. And all freighters would get their gun slots switched to turrets.

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - nOmnomnOm - 11-21-2014

Yeah well it doesnt matter for freightors as much since they can actually see what to shoot when they are TSing.

The problem is OOO LOOOK bargie has 6 guns mounts! no wait... 4 forward just like every other ship.
See what I mean? Its just a waist of slots and the ship cant even be able to use it ever.

I am not gonna mine with it. Mines do the lane work for me, and I will not shoot backwards and fly straight because of it.

Same thing with the Pilar. Same thing with the marauder, Same thing with a lot of ships that have a backward turret with no use at all.

What is nice is I think the Hyena had a turret that was able to fire forward AND back.

Edit: Im just naming ships that i know.

RE: A thought about bombers and other related snubs - Backward turrets - Jack_Henderson - 11-21-2014

Just erase them.