Discovery Gaming Community
black screen of death? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: black screen of death? (/showthread.php?tid=123074)

Pages: 1 2

black screen of death? - blackitalian - 11-22-2014

Every now and then when I load the game it goes black after 2-3 seconds. I can't alt tab to desktop or task manager, and have to sign out of my windows account to escape. Other times the game runs fine. I have it running in window XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode. here are my laptop specs:

Windows 8.1
Quad core A10- 4600m 3.2ghz
Dual video card; Radeon HD 7660g + 7670M w/ 2GB dedicated ram
750 GB HDD
Edit: 12GB of system ram.

This happens at home and on WiFi in other locations.

Please help.

RE: black screen of death? - Mahagadz - 11-22-2014

I guess some critical files are missing at your computer, or maybe there is a malware at your unit. maybe check some update at Windows Update, and sometimes it caused some overheating problems.

RE: black screen of death? - dirmaster0 - 11-23-2014

I blame Windows 8.1, its buggy across the board with many different applications running in compatibility mode

RE: black screen of death? - blackitalian - 11-25-2014

It may be. I did do a antivirus scan (way past due). Found and deleted a couple viruses. However, the black screen has returned only once. So I may or not be in the clear. I'll post if it happens again.

RE: black screen of death? - Echo 7-7 - 11-25-2014

Occasionally, if the screen goes black but the game hasn't crashed, I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then hit Esc to close that menu; this usually causes Freelancer to "refresh" and work normally.

RE: black screen of death? - blackitalian - 12-07-2014

(11-25-2014, 05:43 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: Occasionally, if the screen goes black but the game hasn't crashed, I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then hit Esc to close that menu; this usually causes Freelancer to "refresh" and work normally.

Tried that, didn't work :-(. I also re-installed the game but it still happens. My ping is about 220. I use Google public DNS. My game Any other suggestions??

RE: black screen of death? - evanz - 12-07-2014

"Dual video card; Radeon HD 7660g + 7670M"

"I blame Windows 8.1, its buggy across the board with many different applications running in compatibility mode "

that could be it

RE: black screen of death? - blackitalian - 12-07-2014

I just tested other servers (why I didn't before I don't know), and I can run on them fine (at least during the test). Could it be my ping, though I would only expect lag from a high ping. I notice that it seems to be fine when my ping is below 200. Where are the official servers located? --Edit: answer: In Germany

RE: black screen of death? - dirmaster0 - 12-07-2014

(12-07-2014, 01:31 PM)blackitalian Wrote: I just tested other servers (why I didn't before I don't know), and I can run on them fine (at least during the test). Could it be my ping, though I would only expect lag from a high ping. I notice that it seems to be fine when my ping is below 200. Where are the official servers located? --Edit: answer: In Germany

High ping would get you kicked from the Disco server. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 at all?

RE: black screen of death? - tommyt127 - 12-07-2014

i have a very similar laptop

turn off compatibility mode
always run as admin
don't update graphics drivers. the ones that come with the laptop are best (amd make blanket drivers/software bundles, not tailored ones)
do not set your dual graphics profile in ccc to one that changes at any point (as it can black out when it changes gpu)
make sure your background programs (anything overclock related) aren't set to a profile that conflicts with ccc

anything else and i would be stumped too