Discovery Gaming Community
I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... (/showthread.php?tid=123116)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - nOmnomnOm - 11-28-2014

(11-28-2014, 07:19 PM)Haste Wrote:
(11-28-2014, 07:18 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Fantasy still needs some physics to work.

According to whom?

according to logic.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Chuba - 11-28-2014

(11-28-2014, 08:08 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote:
(11-28-2014, 07:19 PM)Haste Wrote:
(11-28-2014, 07:18 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Fantasy still needs some physics to work.

According to whom?

according to logic.
there is no logic in world.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Thyrzul - 11-29-2014

Have you tried looking for logic, Chuba, before concluding there isn't any? Of course you haven't.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - nOmnomnOm - 11-29-2014

You should seriously consider meeting Mr.Logic.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Sylvie557 - 11-29-2014

Even if you mold some physics, there are some that just can't be avoided.

And when you add the concept of gravity then you cant change other physics so easy.

Plus, for super magical strength, it is much more efficient for them to have a lighter weapon.

If you are gonna bring that up who is to say that the reality a given fantasy world is in has the same laws of physics?  

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Zed26 - 11-29-2014

Can't wait for a discussion about the practicality of the lightsaber from the new Star Wars Teaser. Just kidding, I'm not.

[Image: ePi65ig.jpg]

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - nOmnomnOm - 11-29-2014

(11-29-2014, 05:43 PM)Loki557 Wrote:

And when you add the concept of gravity then you cant change other physics so easy.

Plus, for super magical strength, it is much more efficient for them to have a lighter weapon.

If you are gonna bring that up who is to say that the reality a given fantasy world is in has the same laws of physics?  

becasue there are some things that dont change such as if gravity is constant, which it looks like it is in all fantasy, then physics that is based on gravity stays the same.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Thyrzul - 11-29-2014

(11-29-2014, 06:51 PM)Zed26 Wrote: Can't wait for a discussion about the practicality of the lightsaber from the new Star Wars Teaser. Just kidding, I'm not.
[Image: ePi65ig.jpg]
Already had that discussion on FB with a guy with whom we both are longsword fencers, where crossbars are way more common than on lightsabers. This lazor crossbar just opens up a new batch of opportunities for your opponent to make your own weapon kill you, while does not protect at all, as lazor is not coming out of the hilt sideways immediately, only after a short protrusion.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Sylvie557 - 11-29-2014

(11-29-2014, 07:04 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote:
(11-29-2014, 05:43 PM)Loki557 Wrote:

becasue there are some things that dont change such as if gravity is constant, which it looks like it is in all fantasy, then physics that is based on gravity stays the same.
Gravity is constant in our universe yes.  I am saying what if a Fantasy world exists in another universe with different laws of physics.  

Random extreme example, the world that the game Skyrim takes place in actually quite a bit of lore that points to the fact that the entire universe of that game world may or may not be the dream of a sleeping god.  Not saying that is the case(before any Elder Scroll fans start debating it) but if it is just an example of how different Fantasy worlds can be from our reality.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Zed26 - 11-29-2014

(11-29-2014, 07:43 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
Already had that discussion on FB with a guy with whom we both are longsword fencers, where crossbars are way more common than on lightsabers. This lazor crossbar just opens up a new batch of opportunities for your opponent to make your own weapon kill you, while does not protect at all, as lazor is not coming out of the hilt sideways immediately, only after a short protrusion.
The "beam protruding too far" argument has been very common, but consider how many lightsabers have "shrouds" that extend past the emitter. It's possible the actual beam emitters are recessed into the hilt and you're just seeing a ring of material to protect the wielder's hands moving up and down the grip, especially when bending at the wrist to do all those theatrical moves (as demonstrated in your sig). Should a blade come down on them, it'll cut away at the shroud, but still hit the beam.

You can probably expect the character to have some signature move involving superior strength or some cheap force trick to push into opponents during saber locks and stab them with the crossguard. And you're right, it might also be the cause of their own death later on.

Considering how common cho mai (slicing off hands) is, it sounds like a good idea (by movie/Star Wars/J.J. Abrams logic).