Discovery Gaming Community
I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... (/showthread.php?tid=123116)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - nOmnomnOm - 11-26-2014

(11-25-2014, 11:07 PM)Mímir Wrote:
(11-25-2014, 10:43 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: kinda bull because there is a mod that fixes the proportions and everything is fine Big Grin

which one is that?

If you watch the beginning of the skyrim vid then you can see it

(11-26-2014, 01:16 AM)Haste Wrote: wow i never wouldve guessed

thank you op i learned a lot today

i always carried a keyblade irl to defend myself

not realizing how bad it is as a weapon!!

In all seriousness, it's sad how this dude's videos seem well-made, but that he seems convinced he's telling his viewers things they didn't already know.

QQ o no its now actually so wrong to make a video about something you know or may not know.

So you are telling me you know all the facts that were presented in that key blade video?

I didnt... like the hand guard position and how to cut properly etc.

His vids are actually pretty neat Big Grin

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Syrus - 11-26-2014

Yeah I dunno with the Skyrim weapons why they didn't make them look more realistic (-> thinner for example). They did it better even in Oblivion - and no-one can tell me that the thinner objects caused less problems back then. I'd guess they fear anti-aliasign or such to just "blur out" the whole sword if seen from certain angles or something.

Maybe I should take a look into the mod that changes the weapons to look more realistic in overall width.
I mean, sure, one can always argue that in a fantasy game weapons don't need to be realistic, but except for the magic (and monsters), Skyrim is set in a rather realistic world I'd say, a world were - as has already been stated - normal physics seem to apply. Especially things like the Orcish weapons just make me go "eh, Orsimer might be a bit brutish, but they are suposed to be among the best blacksmiths of Tamriel I thought?! Those weapons look like some cave man made them..." - somewhat disappointing.
On the other hand, I don't mind the Daedric weapons to look a bit ... unrealistic. Shouldn't go too far though.
Sure, the Oblivion weapons looked quite alike each other. But they mostly look at least decently usable if not realisticly usable.

If I take Skyrim on its own, it is a great game. When I compare it to Oblivion - even while the Oblivion dungeons got very repetitive in the later game - it has lost a LOT of great things that Oblivion had and makes me feel quite disappointed in the game. Sadly, not having played Morrowind, I can't compare it to anything other than Oblivion.

Oh well...hoping for a new game of a series to add even more onto the previous games has lately become like hoping for a win in the lottery. TES is just one example of where every new game cuts out parts of the previous games and discards them, while adding little new things - besides better graphics. More immersion through fully voiced dialogues and all is nice as well, but overall that doesn't explain why certain things have been removed or changed...
Did they think the game was too complex for the console peasants? Bad enough that they had to completly ruin the usability of menus and controls for PC due to them already...ugh...

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - nOmnomnOm - 11-26-2014

Hey while we are at it lets talk about armor in fantasy games too. Specifically the ones for female characters ))

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - t0l - 11-26-2014

(11-26-2014, 07:37 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: fantasy

EYES OPEN, KEY WORD SPOTTED

BE ADVISED, GOT KEY WORD IN YOUR AO

LOOKS LIKE KEY WORD OVER THERE

GOT EYES ON KEY WORD

quit scrutinizing things that everyone knows is overexxagerated and fake, its getting annoying.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Fluffyball - 11-26-2014

(11-25-2014, 04:49 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Fantasy lovers gonna qq on a guy on the internet.

Watch his other bids its actually cool what he talks about

Well, if we are about weaponry and realism, I find that in old movies and some games (Battlefield 1942, was it?) that Sherman alone was able to take down a Tiger, what is a bullcrap. As far as I remember, WW2 Sherman was tank so bad compared to the Tiger, it needed five Shermans to take down a single Tiger.

It is also bullcrap that German army was mighty during Fall Weiss (Invasion onto Poland). It was big army, yes, but tanks had back then very thin armor. In fact Poland would withstand Germans for over two or even three months, because our weaponry was as advanced as German one, if not superior in some aspects. Of course, it was bad for us that we haven't got our crews familiar with PT (AT in English) heavy rifles that was the thing that German didn't just hated, they feared such weaponry back then, especially with so weak tanks.

Oh yes, note that German army wasn't experienced much and it has no steel discipline in the beginning. Polish army had so much experience and discipline, it took three days for Germans to get control over Wizna (700 Poles alone, with no support fought for such time against like 14 000-15 000 Germans with full support of bombers, artillery and tanks.)

Our leadership had failed, giving big holes in defences to make UK/France act faster - oh well, little off topic here, forgive me.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - t0l - 11-26-2014

(11-26-2014, 07:01 PM)Toris James Gray Wrote:
(11-25-2014, 04:49 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Fantasy lovers gonna qq on a guy on the internet.

Watch his other bids its actually cool what he talks ab
Well, if we are about weaponry and realism, I find that in old movies and some games (Battlefield 1942, was it?) that Sherman alone was able to take down a Tiger, what is a bullcrap. As far as I remember, WW2 Sherman was tank so bad compared to the Tiger, it needed five Shermans to take down a single Tiger.

battlefield 1942 is a game

its called balance

getting trashed without a chance in far inferior tanks isnt necessarily anybody's idea of fun

unless you are the superior side with some sort of "i am better than you cheeky skrublord" dogma

as for movies they're mostly american ones, it makes sense that their tech is generally "superior" to the big bad nazis/commies/whatever

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Ryus - 11-27-2014

I should point out that the Tiger is still a markedly better tank than the Sherman in game as well, maybe not as much as irl but it is better.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - VoluptaBox - 11-27-2014

Let's not get in another Tiger argument. Had tons of these back on the WoT forums. Long story short, incredible machines, also incredibly flawed. The fact that it would take 5 Shermans to kill a Tiger is both generic and wrong.

You need to consider many, many things, from the crew's experience to combat range and environment.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Qubee - 11-27-2014

Regardless of crew experience, in RL battle situations, Tigers were superior to Shermans in firepower, armor and range, while shermans were superior in mobility and cheap production cost. So, games are made for gaming and they do not need to reflect RL comparisons or usefulness.

RE: I'm Sorry Fantasy Lovers... - Bojangles - 11-27-2014

The realism of a fantasy weapon or armor or magic power can't be argued as reasonable or unreasonable based on real-world criteria. You can only ask yourself if the fantasy elements in question are handled with logical internal consistency. Does this object/effect happen the same way every time it is presented with the same situation? If it does, we're more likely to suspend our disbelief and enjoy the story. If it doesn't, we start saying it's "unrealistic" because things appear to be happening at random, despite environmental conditions.