Discovery Gaming Community
Polan has Freelancer! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Polan has Freelancer! (/showthread.php?tid=123576)

Polan has Freelancer! - Corile - 12-10-2014

So there's a video game magazine in Poland that's called CD-Action. For 15zł (5$, 3,5€) they include about 130 pages of reviews, previews and all that crap and a DVD with some games.
And guess what game will be included in the first issue of 2015.
Yep.
(excuse the google translate, I can't be bothered to translate it myself)
After a bit of research turns out they will be including the original Freelancer and an optional Crossfire 2.0 mod. Should be fun.
I'm pretty excite!

[Image: d2755aa78ab93d841590ac006645450b-548x344.png]

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Fluffyball - 12-10-2014

Now that's the reason why I will buy CD Action, what I haven't done in a long, long time.

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Ryus - 12-10-2014

Neat!

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - sindroms - 12-10-2014

The last time Disco and Freelancer in general was mentioned in a gaming magazine was late 2009 in an interview with Igiss. A russian magazine.

Needless to say, the quality of the ingame roleplay and level of English dropped drastically after that, until all of the offending individuals were removed. The ones who were left due to some rudimentary understanding of English and the use of Google translate went on to give birth to groups such as Gopnik and [RA] (Red Army aka Russian Alliance), the former of which, as most 2010 peeps know, were the reason of the Hogosha ID and Silver Ore nerf.

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Corile - 12-10-2014

Nobody ever mentioned Disco.

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Zed26 - 12-10-2014

I'll start off by pointing out that I'm not a fan of the DMCA and have done work on why a lot of absurd copyright legislation harms the market, innovation, etc..

Without digging into it (especially with only Google Translate), is this not charging money for access to another person's licensed content, as well as free content (mods) without permission or some of the proceeds? I mean, it's one thing to release and share something for free so everyone can experience and benefit, then solicit donations and receive traffic/ad revenue.

Anyway, not a rant or white-knighting for the suits. I'm genuinely curious about the implications here and how they manage these publications.

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Corile - 12-10-2014

Well, they're quite a big magazine with usually over 300 thousand copies of every single issue so I'd assume they have some plugs into Microsoft.

And as far as publishing Crossfire is concerned, it's just an addon. They do add a lot of things onto the DVD, some of them as freeware for people to get to know them rather than generate profit. Especially that you know, it's easier to download Crossfire from the website, but more convenient if you have it on the disk along with the game.

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Sir_Now - 12-11-2014

Hmmm, too bad that thay only include Crossfire and not Discovery.
Crossfire cant be that good as Discovery, can it?

RE: Polan has Freelancer! - Sath - 12-12-2014

(12-11-2014, 08:00 PM)Sir_Now Wrote: Hmmm, too bad that thay only include Crossfire and not Discovery.
Crossfire cant be that good as Discovery, can it?

Crossfire, as a single player mod has lots to choose from and a lot more to play, than Disco (except for its very very irritating long cruise travels to get to a JH, warp or some crap). There are a lot (yes, a lot) of people who prefer Single player games to that of multiplayer games. And when it comes to that regard, Crossfire is a more popular choice than Disco, however bug ridden or crappy the lore/content is.