Discovery Gaming Community
New suicide messages? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New suicide messages? (/showthread.php?tid=123599)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

New suicide messages? - Mímir - 12-11-2014

Am I the only one really tired of getting attacked, spending half an hour draining the assailant of B/B only to see him voluntarily crash into a planet or drop a mine on his own arse?

How about when a player suicides, rather than the two standard text messages we get now (the loadout error and the atmosphere one), we got something like "Mimir just proved he is utter trash" to prevent suicide PVP'ers?

Yes, I know such a text is stupid and most regular folks wouldn't care at all, but if you are willing to suicide your own ship to avoid someone else's name ending up on the blue, public shaming might do the trick. And no, I am not talking about a general "negative" death message every time someone gets gibbed - solely for suicides.

Thoughts? I'd like us to find ways to improve PVP, most importantly to encourage people picking a fight to stay and finish it. When most of the players enjoying the fight for what is have left, there are a lot of PVP'ers around that are only after a blue, and will run or suicide the moment they realize that they are probably not going to get it, and that undermines a vital aspect to the game.

RE: New suicide messages? - nOmnomnOm - 12-11-2014

All i can say is... aim better and don't let them suicide.

This "public shaming" wont work.
It will just be a HA I DID IT AGAIN! thing.

Maybe if you're 12 then that will effect you and be like "NOoooo I am not a noob! that hurts!"

RE: New suicide messages? - Highland Laddie - 12-11-2014

Not every suicide is deliberate, either.

RE: New suicide messages? - Mímir - 12-11-2014

(12-11-2014, 03:51 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: Maybe if you're 12 then that will effect you and be like "NOoooo I am not a noob! that hurts!"

Yes, those are the ones I am trying to reach. The ones that suicide to avoid the "shame" of getting killed.

Does it even matter all that much if you get a blue or you get your target to kill himself on their own?

Edit: Well you are targeting a small number of those people then. >.>

RE: New suicide messages? - t0l - 12-11-2014

(12-11-2014, 03:51 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: All i can say is... aim better and don't let them suicide.

Maybe if you're 12 then that will effect you and be like "NOoooo I am not a noob! that hurts!"

found the planet rammer

(12-11-2014, 03:59 PM)Tal Wrote:
(12-11-2014, 03:51 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: All i can say is... aim better and don't let them suicide.

found the planet rammer

Yeah ok Tal.

You got me.

[Image: 94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg]

RE: New suicide messages? - Jack_Henderson - 12-11-2014

If it was not necessary for bounty hunting, I'd say: Do not display death messages at all.

But ye, I agree: it's stupid to have people suicide just to not give a clear blue message. It's the "I lose, but you do not win" mentality that is viral in Disco, sadly.

I don't think naming & shaming would work, at least it would not work in the few cases where I suicide (which is when an interaction is so bad that it is not worth participating in it for another moment and thus more of a statement than the motive of avoiding a blue message).

What would work is: make experienced players do it right. A lot of suiciding is actually done not by indies, but by rather seasoned players.

Make it sanctionable? It's a roleplay server. Suiciding into a planet... hmmm... roleplay? Roleplay... suicide? Hmmm...

Or you know... allows bounty hunters to get their reward if they screen the player suiciding?

that would fix all your problems as i know that this problem is to do with bounty hunters QQing when they cant get a kill becasue the wrong death message is displayed.
Just do that then. Done.

RE: New suicide messages? - Timmy - 12-11-2014

Agreed with Jack's sanction offer. Make it something like F1 during encounter rule, since last part is not quite possible, considering how people love their characters.

No comments about hunting thing, I ain't into that sort of things.