Discovery Gaming Community
Jumping out of combat... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Jumping out of combat... (/showthread.php?tid=123727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Jumping out of combat... - Sciamach - 12-16-2014

Why the fuck is it not a PVP death when a player jumps out of combat?
The way it is now, someone could feasibly jump out of combat, repair, and return to the fray fully restored. Oh wait.. it isnt just a feasible possibility, it happens
constantly

upwards of 5 times in a row

Theres no way to justify this rapid repair inRP
Theres no reason it should be allowed
its been exploited into the ground
and it's getting annoying

So please: Someone give me a damn good reason that this isn't a rule.

I'll be over here, waiting.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Vendetta - 12-16-2014

Gotta agree with you on that. When you use a jump drive to escape PvP, repair/restock and return to finish what you started, it's pretty lame and doesn't make sense inRP. I can see people using them to escape and not return if they started to lose. So yeah, this should probably be a thing. I had a Bret Carrier come at me on my Murmillo and it jumped out when it was losing. It returned, and eventually tried to jump out again. It exploded when it jumped. Kind of satisfying, but was still pretty lame.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - sindroms - 12-16-2014

It is annoying, yes.
It is also the reason JDs exist. You know, the actual non-barge-jumping reason. If the person put in half a bil into his ship, I think it is fair to let them have some sort of fun in that regard. Also, it is not like the defending force cannot use the time to repair themselves as well.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Sava - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 05:51 AM)Scourgeclaw Wrote:
Why the ***** is it not a PVP death when a player jumps out of combat?
The way it is now, someone could feasibly jump out of combat, repair, and return to the fray fully restored. Oh wait.. it isnt just a feasible possibility, it happens
constantly
upwards of 5 times in a row
Theres no way to justify this rapid repair inRP
Theres no reason it should be allowed
its been exploited into the ground
and it's getting annoying

So please: Someone give me a damn good reason that this isn't a rule.
It's not an "is it ooRP?" kind of discussion.
It's rather a matter of balance and fairplay.

My advice would be to multiply JD3 charging time by 1.5 or 2 and reduce H-Fuel efficiency so that jumpers would have to make all the way back from MOX selling points in order to re-engage. This would keep JD3s attractive and useful on one hand, and easier to counter on the other.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Sciamach - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 07:45 AM)sindroms Wrote: It is annoying, yes.
It is also the reason JDs exist. You know, the actual non-barge-jumping reason. If the person put in half a bil into his ship, I think it is fair to let them have some sort of fun in that regard. Also, it is not like the defending force cannot use the time to repair themselves as well.

I'd just like to clarify that I'm not suggesting the removal of jumpdrives to be used to flee out of a battle. My issue is with ships that come back after jumping away multiple times.
And under most circumstances, this takes occurrence during large pews, so nobody really has the time to dock and replenish everything else while still fighting off the jumper's mates.

Again, there is no in-rp way for a capital vessel to be able to jump away, replace all lost crew, patch all the holes in the hull, re-install all the damaged equipment, and reinforce damage to the frame in the 5 minutes it takes for a jumper to click repair, and fly back.

Even gameplay wise, this makes even less sense:
the purpose of the PVP death rule is to prevent people that were promptly out-matched in a fight from simply un-docking and re-engaging in the same fight. Meanwhile when one jumps away like this it is always, ALWAYS right as the jump vessel is about to die. Effectively, the jumper was 2.3 seconds away from being PVP dead, and the only reason they aren't is because they typed /jump when their shield went down and they were out of regens. They're done, out of the fight, no more use in the combat situation. In large group fights, like the ones in Texas, these jumping vessels literally ruin fights by heavily de-balancing them in the favor of the side that has vessels capable of making jumps like this, as they can simply jump away seconds before they would otherwise be dead, and come back simply because of a loophole in the rules.

And thats exactly what this is; a loophope that really needs to be fixed.

It makes no damn sense for jumping re-engagers to even be allowed, no matter how you look at it. The arguement of "oh they paid for it, so they should be able to re-engage in a fight they lost" holds absolutely no water.

I am pretty sure that if we have the technology to jump millions of metric tons worth of steel and the organic-based crew within it literally across the whole galaxy, we also have the technology to patch up holes in a ship faster than using a hammer and some nails, Scourgie.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Carlos De La Cruz - 12-16-2014

Or just let CD's them. If we can CD ships form running away with cruise speed, why can't we do the same with JD or Cloak..? It will instantly give the balance back, without nerfing jd's anymore (if only it's technically possible)

(12-16-2014, 08:54 AM)Carlos De La Cruz Wrote: Or just let CD's them. If we can CD ships form running away with cruise speed, why can't we do the same with JD or Cloak..? It will instantly give the balance back, without nerfing jd's anymore (if only it's technically possible)

If someone asked me how would I troll this sort of change, I would specifically follow jumpships around with a FL IDed LF and CD them whenever they were close to jumping, because CDing is not an attack.

RE: Jumping out of combat... - Lythrilux - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 09:03 AM)sindroms Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 08:54 AM)Carlos De La Cruz Wrote: Or just let CD's them. If we can CD ships form running away with cruise speed, why can't we do the same with JD or Cloak..? It will instantly give the balance back, without nerfing jd's anymore (if only it's technically possible)

If someone asked me how would I troll this sort of change, I would specifically follow jumpships around with a FL IDed LF and CD them whenever they were close to jumping, because CDing is not an attack.

Repeated CDs are an attack.

(12-16-2014, 09:06 AM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 09:03 AM)sindroms Wrote:

Repeated CDs are an attack.

Only if it is a reinforced CD and you are constantly CDing a ship small enough to drain the shield under 50%.