Discovery Gaming Community
System ideas - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: System ideas (/showthread.php?tid=123820)

Pages: 1 2

System ideas - Sabru - 12-19-2014

Disclaimer: This idea resulted from a skype chat brainstorming ideas to freshen up the Barrier pass route. This is purely theoretical thinking about what might be interesting.

Now, the idea:

Idea #832.5 for refreshing the Barrier pass systems:

Make Rous a more open system - Open it up a lot more with a bit of a renovation. Making it more open might attract more people to it.

stick CR (their shipyard, carrier etc) in a corner of Roussillon. - It gets them a place they can really properly act without messing with the locals around Barrier Gate. It would also slightly reduce the travel to the usual fighting grounds with OC and GRN.

Re-arrange the JHs - a couple of ideas here:

Connect Roussillon directly with both Coronado and Tau-29. - The idea here is two-pronged. first, get some through traffic for Rous, which might get the council faction a bit more attention. secondly, a fortress system. heavily defended by CR and Council, this would shore up the northwest flank against gallia.

Redirect the current Tau-29 JH in Baffin to Kyushu. - The counter point to the Roussillon suggestion. Doing this would give a smuggling route, but also a bit of an easier transit for unlawful groups trying to head south. This also takes Baffin a bit further out of the reach of the Gallic forces which makes a bit more sense than having it as the first line target of a gallic advance from that angle.

The Baffin - Roussillon JH would be shifted to where the current Tau-29 JH is, with the proposed Kyushu JH being in the north of the system. This would make more use of the system space than currently what is used.

Now: a few conditions of posting!

Constructive feedback or support only. Give reasons for your view please.
that means:

- no "its bad" type of posts. that doesnt tell me anything constructive or informative.
- no attacks of any sort on any posters in this thread. we all saw how shaggy's thread went bad.
- Keep it on-topic.

I also ask the mods (and any admins) to watch over the thread and keep it clean.

RE: System ideas - Dane Summers - 12-19-2014

I am in support of this idea.

For one, it provides Rousillon with more meaning, while at the same time, fulfills the dev's idea of making systems shared between multiple factions.

Second, and also a further suggestion...

CR could have a rather large "Migrant Fleet" presence, rep'ing a shipyard, with a joint settlement of Rousillons primary planet (Toulouse).

At the same time, CR could also be "helping" IMG with its deuterium mining.

As for Yuma, pft, give it to the freelancers. Let them deal with the plants

RE: System ideas - Thyrzul - 12-19-2014

To discuss Roussillon in this:

I can only foresee the system getting opened and CR joining in the mass in two steps.

First should the Colonial Republic expand in here and in return help in both turning the system into a proper fortress against potential GRN invasion and terraforming Toulouse into a more habitable planet (should they want to settle there as well). I assume Toulouse is at a state similar to Yuma, a bit more habitable than that, but the atmo is still poisonous enough that people have to dwell in heavily controlled environments.

Second step should be when we open up the system more to the public. Doing this after proper precautions and fortifications is important, and in my opinion should be done no sooner than conflict getting reignited up in Gallia (something I would like to see in the near future) as well as the GRN starting to lose it's footholds on the Sirian frontier. At that point I would expect GRN rather hold onto more important matters than that they finally revealed where in Sirius we've been hiding all along.

Not gonna comment on JH locations and connections, I do not mind how they are now, some even restrict the freedom of choice of my characters enough that I find it challenging, and I enjoy that challenge.

Anything else I missed?

RE: System ideas - Highland Laddie - 12-19-2014

I really don't see all the hub bub and angst surrounding CR's control of half of Coronado. Why do people have such a problem with it? Who cares if they are "messing around with the locals" at Barrier Gate? That's what factions do, to one extent or another. Coronado was never a Freelancer-owned system; they just had 1 station there which was tucked away.

As for CR, they really haven't interfered with the "Alpha" smuggling route going through there, and Baffin is little more than a waypoint anyways.

As for the "Migrant Fleet" idea...sure it sounds kinda cool...if we just want to truly turn CR into Battlestar Galatica. Although, I thought we were moving this mod away from imports...

RE: System ideas - Haste - 12-19-2014

I don't get the issue here. CR| can attempt to claim Coronado all they want, and the locals will simply ignore it. What CR| could do if they mind the smugglers so much is "force" TAZ to allow them to intercept smugglers in Baffin. That's what, a 40-50k cruise to catch the fat transports in? Easymodo.

"But TAZ won't let them" -> TAZ is composed of religious loonies. If CR| believes it is able to claim Coronado as its own system, is it not powerful enough to convince that bunch of weirdos one system north of them to let them bring some good old law&order?

These changes seem entirely unnecessary and way too extreme.

RE: System ideas - Vicho Deivis - 12-19-2014

[Colonial mode/on]
WUUUUT???!!
[Colonial mode/off]

Seriouly: WTF?
I will say it again, you are over-reacting. The CR not only has been shooting down pirates in coronado for years, but we also have had good peacefull RP with many other of the locals and temporary visitors. Hell, I even give some advices to one transport with pirate turrets* wich wanted to go to Liberty once.

As for the systems changes, you must first ask yourselves what RP is more important: Smuggling stuff witch won't be in real danger to disappear or the settlement of a dying people. The CR| is not just another gang, is an entire people strugling to survive. If you don't belive me explain why the main focus of our recent roll play is about colonizing a planet (with the fauna of Australia) and not build a bad ass fleet to destroy the universe? Before consider to move a faction you shlould consider if you really want to erase their rollplay, there will be a lot of work lost if you move us.

Once said that: I like the idea of a direct conection betwen Coronado and Rousellion and I realy think that CR and council should be working more closely. But this is something that the leadership of both factions should discuss. Not us here.

I also like the idea of a migrant fleet, it has its charm, but not at the cost of the CR already have. Also it would mean the end of the CR participation in the war against Galia, or everyone else. You can't go to a fight if your ships are full of civilians. The idea is more appropriate for a Zoner like faction.

*These weapons are not ilegal in the Colonial Republic.

RE: System ideas - Sabru - 12-19-2014

Seems people are getting the wrong idea. This isnt about stopping CR from intercepting smugglers. this idea has NO relation to the current kerfuffle about CR.

@Thyr'zul: Hey, who knows. the Devs might oblige with those steps. thanks for the feedback.

@Laddie: Thats why this was figured the way it is. rather than having them be only "waypoints", they'd be (ideally) more lively systems. CR would still be able to intercept in Coro, and (of course) any unlawfuls that wandered into Rous.

@Haste: Well, think about the current dynamics of the region. both Rous and Coro are "guarded" by Baffin. TAZ has good relations with most factions in the region. If CR were to try and 'force' the agreement of compliance in Baffin, the balance would be upset very greatly. that wouldnt be good for anyone. but thats kinda off topic.

@Vicho: first, see right at the top. then chill. now......

nothing says the current RP would be thrown away. the devs could call it some strange "astronomical phenomenon" and move the relevant planet(s) into Rous. hence the renovation.

finally: This is just an idea brainstormed by a few people about something interesting. this isnt about trying to stop CR intercepting smugglers or anything.

On that note, i'd love to hear the devs and admins opinions=, along with the CR| leader.

RE: System ideas - Dane Summers - 12-20-2014

I expounded at length in the Barrier Gate thread as to why Coronado is bad for CR|

Those people who don't understand why, are not part of factions in which this is an issue - namely CR, and those massively opposed to CR being in Coronado.

It has nothing to do with intercepting Smugglers, which I would say to any CR|, is a sideshow to keep busy - the real job is killing Gallia and Outcasts.

By Colonial Law, CR| declared the Barrier Nebula an Exclusion Zone, in which they said they would not Interdict any ships, even if they were ships carrying contraband and actively at war.

But this is an old law, and I wouldn't be surprised if current Leadership either forgot about it, didn't know it was there, or changed it.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=83142

For those 15th Pilots in this thread - the Primary goal of the 15th was, when it was made, to patrol Cortez against Rogues, as a way to make nice with Bretonia - it was a part of our original diplomacy with Bretonia

RE: System ideas - Highland Laddie - 12-20-2014

Quote:If CR were to try and 'force' the agreement of compliance in Baffin, the balance would be upset very greatly. that wouldnt be good for anyone. but thats kinda off topic.

See....now I don't necessarily see what's "wrong" with that. Why does there need to be such a "balance" with the diplomacy in the area? What's wrong with a little tension between TAZ and CR?

I think that might make things more interesting and active than just connecting Coro and Rous

RE: System ideas - Sabru - 12-20-2014

(12-20-2014, 03:01 AM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
Quote:If CR were to try and 'force' the agreement of compliance in Baffin, the balance would be upset very greatly. that wouldnt be good for anyone. but thats kinda off topic.

See....now I don't necessarily see what's "wrong" with that. Why does there need to be such a "balance" with the diplomacy in the area? What's wrong with a little tension between TAZ and CR?

I think that might make things more interesting and active than just connecting Coro and Rous

because it wouldnt be just a little bit of tension. TAZ takes baffin related things very seriously. any outside power, even an ally like CR, attempting to force a change would be very seriously dealt with according to the situation.