Discovery Gaming Community
ever advertised disco? why not. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: ever advertised disco? why not. (/showthread.php?tid=123992)

Pages: 1 2

ever advertised disco? why not. - Bassome3000 - 12-25-2014

ever advertised for the mod? how much can the server hold? if each active player advertises disco for their friends and who they know and on their websites...etc what about that? have an advertising campaign of disco ever taken place?
i am asking Smile and suggesting.

[Image: meme+82.png]

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - Titan* - 12-25-2014

put discovery to Steam as f2p Big Grin

500 player instantly

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - Bassome3000 - 12-25-2014

that is what i feared xD because maybe the server won't be able to hold/stand it.

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - nOmnomnOm - 12-25-2014

We got a Facebook page to start with!

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - KaiserDietz - 12-25-2014

Can we even put it on Steam as free to play?

Wouldn't that be seen as attempting to make profit off of someone else's work?

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - sindroms - 12-25-2014

Steam does not advertise mods, as far as I am aware.
Our best bet is ModDB, but to do so we'd actually have to keep our page up to date.

You know, like Crossfire does.

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - nOmnomnOm - 12-25-2014

Who is the one responsible for that?

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - Mímir - 12-25-2014

There was some article or advertising in a Russian magazine years ago, featuring Igiss and Cannon I think, that brought in quite a lot of Russian players. So much so that there were forum posts warning about the influx of new players that probably didn't know the rules, and how the community should be lenient so the new guys felt welcome.

The problem isn't about advertising or knowledge of Disco - I'd wager that there are more than enough active gamers, that played Disco or at least knows about it but now play other games, to fill out the server several times over.

No, the problem is that Disco has very little to offer. It is so heavily admin'ed and moderated (by players as well as staff), that the idea that you can create something fresh and new is a joke. There are AAA blockbuster titles that are more open in terms of giving players free reigns to shape the experience.

For a new player, there is some limited excitement in the grind and the idea that the game is gonna get really awesome when you get a cap so you can get vengeance on all those pesky pirates that stood in the way of the grind, but we all know how that turns out. For other players, there's nothing or no one to shoot at. People get mad and scream "abuse" when they get pewed, sanctionlancer for the win, and then go on the forum and act all saintly. Then there is "roleplay" which is usually about plagiating some crappy mainstream story, making the most nonsense in a situtation or act the most unnatural as you possibly could, telling your life story to your mortal enemy, pirate for a song etc. I can count on one hand how many "realistic" and convincing encounters I've had. "RP" is a means to get stuff through language. It's used to get tech, SRP's or rights you wouldn't otherwise get, nothing more and nothing less, so that's not really very interesting for most people when they see it for what it is.

You'll have to be either really heavily invested in your pixels or a masochist to enjoy Disco in its current state, IMO. How do you advertise that without lying?

Merry xmas Big Grin

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - HassLHoFF™ - 12-25-2014

Well I have already offered to do the work of the moddb page, at best with a small group, as I also see this as the first stage for reaching a higher variety of players and I have experience at that site.

RE: ever advertised disco? why not. - zalsrevenge - 12-25-2014

I've talked to many people who have played disco over the years. People usually quit though due to there being way too many limitations and rules.
Maybe if the RP was more relaxed as opposed to mandatory there'd be more people around. Of course you'd still have to pay attention to RP restrictions and rules but you wouldn't have to talk inRP all the time on the server.

Also, I do advertise and plug disco randomly, usually on imageboards and such where other gamers go.